PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater - The "whatta ya got" thread

Sonik
01-02-2009, 07:50 PM
I Responded to another thread about TV's and got me back on an audiophile kick. I still like to catch up with all my old friends that are as crazy about AV equipment as we all are about boats just to see what I'm missing. And since its winter time and I'm not feeling motivated to grind right now, I'll throw some info and pics of my setup out here and am curious to see what everyone else has as well.....makes for new ideas :thumbsup:

I worked in a small high-end AV retail store in college which had an extraordinary influence on my choices for my home equipment. I used to prefer old school pre-amp-amplifier setups and had a smattering of NAD, Carver, Adcom, Yahama Pro, Sony ES, Denon, etc in the past and finally went with the masses and bought integrated receiver and am pretty satisfied with it thus far. Here's info/shots of my setup.

My Gear:

TV Stand: Salamander Synergy Series Triple 20
Receiver: Denon AVR 3805 (old enough it doesn't have HDMI video switching...boo)
DVD Player: Denon DVD1740
Main Speakers: Klipsch RF-5's
Center Channel: Klipsch RC-7
Rear Speakers: Klipsch RS-3's
Subwoofer: Klipsch RSW-12
TV: LG 50PC1DRA 50" Plasma 720P

http://i40.tinypic.com/2w31h94.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/24o9ds2.jpg

jphii
01-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, my HT setup is no more, since I'm trying to make my house TV free. But, here's what i had. It is almost all gone, but some of it is still for sale:

Mitsubishi Diamond Vision 55"
Golden Theater GTA 5 x 250w amp
Golden Theater GTX-1 Processor
Legacy Harmony fronts
M&K S100 center
M&K SS150 surrounds
M&K passive sub, 15"
Carver 12" sub, with an M&K amp plate & speaker
McIntosh DVD multi player
Magnum Dynalab MD108 tuner
Audio Note CD2 cd player
About 4k in cables

It would play all day at over 100 db on my meter. I've gone back to two channel, because as far as I'm concerned vinyl rules. TV just pisses me off any more, so if I never have another one I'll be happy.

So, now my system is all Audio Note except for the turntable that I built for myself. Sound quality is something you would have to hear to believe.

Riverman
01-03-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm looking to build a setup, all I have is some of the audio bits, no TV yet:

Main: (2) Crown Power Tech 2 amps running through a Behringer CX3400 xover to Peavy SP4ti bins.
Rears: Hafler DH200 amp to vintage Polk 8s (these still sound great!).
Subs: Crown K2 bridged into a yet to be obtained BIG sub cab.
Centre: No plans yet

Suggestions welcome!!

Sonik
01-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Since you mentioned subwoofers Jeff, my buddy let me read an article produced by Definitive Technologies and the Trinity Project. The Holy Trinity Church near ground zero in Manhattan had its original pipe organ damaged when the towers fell. The cost was too great to fix it...enter Def Tech. they crated, what i think is the subwoofer to end all subwoofers specifically for this church. I believe they installed either 6 or 8 of these "Super-Cube Trinity subwoofers in the church and Def Tech decided to market them. Just some quick excerpts from the website.

"A Special Subwoofer Designed for a Special Place"

When the pipe organ in New York’s historic Trinity Church was damaged beyond repair by contaminants from the World Trade Center collapse, organ manufacturer Marshall & Ogletree designed a state-of-the-art electronic organ that would sound just like a pipe organ. Definitive’s bipolar towers were chosen to replace the pipes (one for each organ pipe). But what speaker could reproduce the ultra-deep bass of the longest organ pipes? It normally takes a 5’ x 5’ x 8’ subwoofer enclosure; could Definitive’s engineers design a subwoofer that could produce over-the-top bass in a more reasonable enclosure size?

Yes they could; and the SuperCube® Trinity Signature was born. It delivers outstanding low frequency performance which heretofore has not been available in such a compact enclosure. Capable of prodigious output (in excess of 128 db at 20 Hz and 116 db at 16 Hz in a normal room) the Signature is also quick and highly detailed. It may be used vertically or positioned on its back when custom installations call for it. "
Specs:

Dimensions | Metric :Vertically: 18” W x 18” D x 31-3/4” H | 45.7 x 45.7 x 80.6 cm; Horizontally: 31-3/4” W x 18” D x 18” H | 80.6 x 45.7 x 45.7 cm
Driver Complement :Two high-definition 14" long throw woofers, pressure coupled to four 14” low bass radiators
Frequency Response :10 Hz – 200 Hz
Internal Amplifier Power :2000 watts
Auto On / Off :Signal Sensing (US) | Signal Sensing and Switched (International)
Power Requirements :110 volts Alternating Current (US) | 220 volts Alternating Current (International)
High Level Inputs :Two pairs of 5 way binding posts
High Level Outputs :Two pairs of 5 way binding posts
Subwoofer Inputs :One LFE input (for SW preout only)
Low Level Inputs :Two low level inputs: left and right low level in
Low Level Outputs :Two low level outputs: left and right low level out
High Level High Pass Crossover :Non Variable 6 dB/octave @ 80 Hz: Available only with high level inputs and outputs only
Low Level High Pass Crossover :12 dB/octave continuously variable from 40 Hz to 150 Hz: Available only with low level inputs and outputs
Low Pass Crossover% :24 dB/octave continuously variable from 40 Hz – 150 Hz: Available only with high level inputs and outputs or low level inputs and outputs
Available Finishes :Piano-Gloss Black
Accessories :Rubber feet; Isolation spikes; brass threads
Fuse :8 amp 250 volt Slo Blo (US) | 4 amp 250 volt Slo Blo (International)
Weight | Metric :185 lbs | 83.9 kg
Warranty :5 Years; 3 Years for Amplifiers

All for the bargain price of $3,000.

Riverman
01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Yikes!

That sounds cool Jeff but I am a man of modest means! I would have a hard time shelling out $3K for something without a propeller.

merccoop
01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I've been dreaming up my next set up for a year or two now. I am a huge fan of klipsch, but man, you should hear this sub:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=606

some specs:
Model Name : A7-900 Home Subwoofer
Amplifier Power : 1300w RMS
Subwoofer Driver Size : Dual eD 18" Subwoofer - Ov.2 Platform
Cabinet Type : Vented / Downfire
Room Tuning : 18Hz FR - (16-100Hz +/-3dB @110dB In Room)
In Room Avg SPL : 129.93 dB (10-100Hz Max Output Avg)
Shipping Weight : 435lbs

I've been told it can just shake a house to pieces!

Dd24skater
01-04-2009, 07:28 AM
B&W 604's, LCR6 , Fronts and Center
Marantz Receiver SR 8400, using mostly as a pre amp
Bryston 3B Amps, 1 for each front, set up mono
Carver Amp, for center set up mono
Boston Accustic, Rear hooked to receiver
Sony VPL HS20 Projecter, set up to 110" screen, 720p
Onkyo Intergra CD player
SUB is home made, 12" non ported, double wall MDF sides, weighs 200 lbs
Power for sub Berringer, set up mono