PDA

View Full Version : Marine Grade Reciever or Not?

Striker
12-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I was looking into buy a stereo system, and found a great deal on a pioneer system that comes with a set of speakers. I know i have to replace the speakers due to corrosion from salt air and was going to go with a set of poly-planars http://www.boatersworld.com/product/318110087msk.htm?bct=t13100003%3Bcigps-electronics%3Bciaudio-vid%3Bcispeaker
Does it matter if the receiver is marine grade or not? I heard as long as car receivers don't get wet they should be fine, and that marine grade is often just a sticker covering the vent holes on the receiver. Any thoughts? :confused:
- And what do you guys think about pioneer?

lckytrbl
12-28-2008, 10:38 PM
definately buy a marine grade receiver.ive installed many and like the PYLE brand the best.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pyle-Marine-CD-MP3-Player-w-Speakers-Remote-SplashProof_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ31275QQihZ003QQitemZ13012823421 4QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V click on that link,hard to beat one of these set ups.youll need a couple more speakers,but im sure you can find em there as well.i like this one the most because the remote is wireless and works from quite a distance away from the receiver.they hold up real well,even in direct contact with water.like when a hose sprays it.

1BadAction
12-28-2008, 10:44 PM
if you can get a setup like that for around 100 bucks, go for it. if not just throw any old deck in there and make sure not to splash the front. they ALL need to breathe, and it doesn't matter which one you buy, the salt air will eventually corrode the hell out of the inside.

after buying some christmas presents and really looking at these digital media players, I'd bet they would last longer than anything. Problem is you still need some kind of amp to drive the speakers, and end up with the same problem I mentioned above.

150aintenuff
12-29-2008, 02:52 AM
from what i have seen the only real difference on marine sterios is a gasket on the faceplate, so if your sterio is prone to water splash get the marine version, otherwise any will work... ive used both types and if salt exposed either kind only seems to last a year or 2, right now ive got automotive decks in everything and the cheeper they are the longer they seem to last for me anyway... like jim said it all depends on location, and what your willing to spend..

WATERWINGS
12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
I have never used marine stereos, and the moisture was never my problem.

Vibration and wave impacts killed a few amps, but not the reciever.

I use Polk speakers in the boat and truck, and Polk speakers are all marine grade, no matter if you buy them for a car or boat.

I put a brand new Kenwood in the 'stream many years ago, and a yatch wave came over the bow and soaked the reciever, the CD would still work, but it took about a week for the FM part to start working again.:eek:

I still have a Pioneer in the Quartershot, and I want to replace it with an Alpine, but as long as the Pioneer still works, that is what I will use.

Image 21
12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
i like my jl audio set up its marine stuff and sounds great.have a alpine head unit so far so good.does have a small price tag ,the only down side.

1BadAction
12-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I have never used marine stereos, and the moisture was never my problem.

it will be if you dip it in the salt occasionally. I had a regular stereo in my Logans Run that my dad had used for years. I used it for a year or so, then hit the salt a few times and bam, receiver was shot. Along with everything else in the boat that wasn't stainless or aluminum. :(