PDA

View Full Version : Removable GPS Dash Mounts

josh7_78
12-26-2008, 05:53 PM
I am looking to suction something to my dash for my Etrex GPS that is removable but there isn't anything out there that will stick. I've talked to a few people about the Garmin suction mounts and how they don't stick when the boat is bouncing around. What does everyone out there use?

Wild Wil
12-26-2008, 06:08 PM
if all else fails tie wrap it to a spoke of the steering wheel....

vnemous
12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
look at ram mounts. Garmin also makes a mount for bicycle for this gps. I have it mounted to the rail on my Challenger. Works very well.
Cheap too like 11 bucks.
http://i40.tinypic.com/104iyki.jpg

WATERWINGS
12-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I used one for years on the 'Stream that you replaced the original back on the GPS with a back with a slot that fits into a multi swivel part that sticks on with that badazz red 3M tape.

Worked like a charm, but did vibrate some.f

On the Quartershot, I cut swivel part off and screwed the slot part right to the dash, it works great, and no vibration.

jphii
12-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I used one for years on the 'Stream that you replaced the original back on the GPS with a back with a slot that fits into a multi swivel part that sticks on with that badazz red 3M tape.

That's how mine is set up too. Works great.

Oz Dude
12-28-2008, 03:11 AM
We have to use a homologated GPS for ski racing when competing in speed limited classes. The one we use comes with a mount for the handlebars of a push bike.

What we then did was to take a 2" pipe clamp (think exhaust pipe clamp) and welded a short piece of bar to the flange that slips on to the U-shape bolt of the clamp. We then tightened up the clamp around the steering column (protected with some 100mph tape) so that the bar comes up vertically from the column. The GPS then mounts to the bar.

My GPS now sits 6" in front of my steering wheel and the screen is just above the rim of the wheel - perfect :)

Oz

yachter55
12-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Josh call the IL Toll way ,ask for I pass tell them you need a few plastic velcro type stickers to hold the I pass to the window. got mine FREE works great plus there clear plastic. if that dont work im me and I will part with a few