PDA

View Full Version : '89 'Stream Vegas XT/Merc 2.4 200 XRi

04-20-2001, 08:29 PM
Just brought it home today! Silver metalflake, black/red/3 fades grey. 5" Land&Sea jackplate, Hydromotive nosecone, Merc 28" chopper. Runs around 75 on the stock speedo, 7200 rpm (does this thing need a 30"???) Lift and boat will be in sometime soon.

MTCM
04-21-2001, 09:15 AM
You numbers indicate an efficiency of only 71%. The Vegas is typically 85% efficient with a relatively fresh engine when setup correctly. Given this, at 85% efficiency, your rig should be running in the high 80's at 7200 rpm with the 28 chopper. Recommend you evaluate your setup. Check engine compression, take a good look and the prop, lower unit, and transom height. Take a good look at the hull for water retention. Sounds like you could have a problem with extra weight somewhere. I am not trying to "rain on your parade", just making some observations. I have had impromptu races with Vegas models with Merc 200s that were running in the low 80's @ 6200-6300 rpm. Example: I have a V-King (675 lb hull) with a 200 carb which runs 86 mph @ 6500 rpm with a 28 chopper. The Vegas is heavier but will "fly" when properly rigged. See if you can contact Randy Reinke (Aquaholic) on this board. He has a nice Vegas that is setup correctly and is very fast. He may be able to help you.

MTCM

MTCM
04-21-2001, 09:24 AM
Pyro,

P.S Do not not waste your money on a new prop unless the old one is inefficient or damaged. Going to a 30p may lower the rpm, but I do not think you gain any performance. Maximize your current setup first. Then decide what to do about props. You may find that you actually need a smaller pitched prop once you optimize the setup.

MTCM

04-21-2001, 10:33 AM
Everyone is telling me that the tach is screwed up. I sure hope so. There's no water in the hull. This boat has never spent the night in the water. Everything is original and solid. This rig handles great! I'm going to look into the rpm/speed issue sometime soon.

MTCM
04-21-2001, 10:58 AM
Pyro,

Your tach is a possible problem. What kind is it? I would not overlook anything. If you analyze your set up, you will figure it out. Lots of good info and advice available here. Good Luck

MTCM

04-21-2001, 11:09 AM
When I get home, if it isn't raining, I'll pull the cover and take a look at the gauges. I hope something isn't badly screwed up. I already have to replace a bad water pressure gauge that's stuck all the way up (or could that be the sensor???), I'm hoping that the tach is just set for a different engine or something. I'm a little new to this stuff. thanks!

MTCM
04-21-2001, 11:15 AM
Let us know what kind of gauges you have. Water Pressure gauges (as whell as others can be electrical (sender) or mechanical (hosed right from the block to the gauge). I will help all I can. CUL

MTCM

04-21-2001, 08:34 PM
The tach has several settings on the back of it. It is currently set in the "3" position. Sound right?

MTCM
04-21-2001, 09:28 PM
What kind is it and how many settings does it have?

XBuddawg
04-21-2001, 10:23 PM
Hey pyro,

Don't hold too much stock in what da speedo is tellin' ya. Ya could be turnin' an honset 7200, and actually be runnin' in da 80's. Speedos are just fer braggin' rights...lol.. but DON'T rely on 'em....

Later,
Buddy

04-22-2001, 08:38 AM
Everyone says that if it's really turning 7200 rpm, that I would have to be in the 90's with that prop and light hull. I know what 60 feels like, I have a 17' Baja / Merc 150 as well, and this feels only 10 mph faster when it's reading 68. The speedo is close to accurate, I believe. I really hope the tach is f#%&ed up, cause I need this to work right. I just spent A LOT of money, and I need to feel good about it! I'll check how many settings the tach has after breakfast. Thanks.