PDA

View Full Version : "Discolored" white boat...

Vinnie
12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
The boat I have came from the Ohio River. When I removed the old registration numbers I saw discoloration. I tried to clean it up with a buffing compound. It didn't work.

Other than wet sanding the the boat, is there an "easier" way to clean it up a little?

Thanks in advance guys..

:cheers:

Carter Powell
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
There are many companys that make fiberglass stain removers. Davis products has a good product. Most are about the same but they will take out stains in the fiberglass.

Carter Powell

olmo40
12-13-2008, 05:02 AM
if you are careful 10% hcly acid in water .however a bathroom type mould remover will work if compound doesnt

williamsdetailing
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Your gonna have to wet sand where the #'s were. I bet if you run your hand over where they were, after removing the adhesive residue, you will feel ridges. Some boats you can sand these completely away but most boats you can't because of the thickness of the gel coat. The acids recommended will remove stains from rust, water line, and stuff like that. Click here to look at this boat on my website (http://williamsdetailing.blogspot.com/2008/02/blog-post_18.html). You could still see where the logo was when i was done, but just barely.

imq707s
12-14-2008, 11:01 PM
3M makes some special marine buffing compound just for fiberglass/gel coats. I've used it on a few faded red boats and the stuff worked awesome...never tried it on a white one though.

coslanzetta
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
i use rust aid from home depot,works unbalievable..pour it into a buck and use a long scub brush,works like a charm...

Fcmarine
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Depending on how long the numbers have been there will depend on what you need to do. You said you already tried to wet sand/ buff and no results? Normally it is very hard to get rid of the discoloration due to the other gelcoat being in the elements and that being shielded by the number you will have to do it all at once to make it match. I will ask a detailer and see if they have any other helpful hints for you.

y2kstang
07-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Here was a good article about gelcoat maintenance and restoration.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/tools/gelcoat_maintenance.html