PDA

View Full Version : Bored an posting more Corvette pictures:

Raceman
07-31-2002, 08:20 PM
Anybody know what these are? Gotta go down to the 2nd and 3rd picture.

Raceman
07-31-2002, 08:21 PM
The first car

Raceman
07-31-2002, 08:22 PM
The second:

Raceman
07-31-2002, 08:24 PM
I've had these two cars since the mid 80's and they're very close to identical from the outside except for the hood on the one farthest from the camera. (a clue)

LaserModVee
07-31-2002, 09:25 PM
When I grow up, I want to be just like you!

I am a Chevy nut, but when it comes to the 'Vette's, I usually need help on I.D. ing things. (From my Dad)

My guess:

69-70 427 cars.

One is a dual four car, so I am figuring it is a higher hp model. I can't seem to remember 425 horse? Or is it 435?

It looks like they are both fitted with aluminum heads.

Either way, awesome cars!

Nice Viper GTS too!

LaserModVee
07-31-2002, 09:26 PM
Are they both California emission cars? I noticed quite a bit of emission stuff on both cars.

Raceman
07-31-2002, 11:06 PM
Both are 69's which was the last year of the 427. The 454 started with the 70's. The one with the triangular aircleaner is a tri power. (The 2 4's went away with the 283's after '61.) Interestingly, all the big block Corvettes had smog pumps in 69, (I think 68 also, but not sure) but some didn't have em in 70. You're observant that both have alum. heads, kinda hard to tell in the picture from that angle. Also right about the 435 HP rating on the tri power car. There were actually 2 435's available, one with cast iron heads and one with aluminum.........no horsepower change, but only 290 made with aluminum in 69.

Now, how 'bout the other one????? Incidentally, the plug wires on the single 4 barrel car aren't as red as they look in the picture, but more of a faded orange color. (another clue)

LaserModVee
08-01-2002, 05:01 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if the other car has a different hood. Cowl induction.

Dangit! I knew the tri power config and dual fours were gone by then!!! Duh!

Hmmmmm...still working on the plug wire deal....

Raceman
08-01-2002, 06:35 AM
Awright, one last hint: When less is really a lot more.

LaserModVee
08-01-2002, 06:48 AM
ZL1!?!??!!!

Oh man.......That is more!!!!!

Please tell me it is!!!!

SS427
08-01-2002, 06:55 AM
The famous and VERY rare L-88 427! :D

Rick

LaserModVee
08-01-2002, 07:00 AM
I just looked up some numbers, because I didn't think they made a 69 Corvette with a ZL1. Well they made two. I know you are very aware of all of this info, but it came as a surprise to me! Very cool.

It also said there were 116 L88s and 2722 L71s.

I knew there are a few ZL1 Camaro's, but not Vette's.

My Dad's old drag racing buddy, (which now builds my drag motors), had two 1969 427 COPO Camaro's. He bought one of them new and the other from the original owner in the early 70's. He kept them both up to the early 90's and sold them. They both had under 6000 miles on them. He lost a master cylinder on the one he raced from the 70's to the 90's and wrecked it at the dragstrip. It was very repairable and he had all of the GM parts to do it. He just never did. He sold them both to a collector that tracked him down. Both Camaro's were 427 4sp 4:10 gear, heater delete, no radio, cars. One had a bench seat!!!

Share more Raceman!!!!
I love this stuff!!!

Raceman
08-01-2002, 08:07 AM
Correct on the L88. There were 2 ZL1 Corvettes and 69 ZL1 Camaro's. (easy to remember 69 in 69) The one known authentic ZL1 is at Roger's Corvette in Fla. and is a yellow coupe. The other has been claimed by several different people, one a white coupe, the other a blue roadster. I don't think anybody knows for sure where the other one is. As far as the L88's, there were 116 built in 1969. As far as I know, this is the only one that was ever around here until another collector bought one and brought it here in 1989. My car was new here, and the original owner, although now in his 70's is still a hot rod fanatic currently with a new ZO6 with over 400 inches and nitros.

Here's a ZL1 Camaro story: A local guy was promised any car he wanted when he turned 16. He told his folks (of considerable finacial strength) that he wanted a ZL1 Camaro. They first resisted, but gave in, and one was located at a Chevy dealer in Colorado. His mother jumped in her Cadillac, drove from Ga. to Colorado, and flat towed the car back here on a bumper hitch/tow bar. (I think they took the driveshaft out) So here's a 16 year old guy with a brand new ZL1 Camaro, terrorizing the streets of a small mid Ga. town. He decided to go superstock racing, but quickly became discouraged because his near stock ZL1 with slicks and headers added wasn't running the times of the national record holder. (Bill Jenkins aka Grumpy) Anyhow the car was thrashed around as a street car for years and the original engine was sold and ended up in a jet boat in Ala. I had a chance to buy the car, with paperwork (engine gone) in the early 80's for 3500, but passed on it because it had become so rough. The guy who had it for sale was selling 3 projects, a 70 LS6 El Camino with original drivetrain intact, a 69 427/435 Corvette roadster with no drivetrain, and the ZL1. I bought the El Camino, which I still have and the Corvette, which I later sold, but stupidly passed on the ZL1. Who'd ever have guessed that they'd become worth 200K+? It has now been restored to show quality with a proper engine and resides in the Milton Robson Collection in Gainesville Ga, which is frequently featured on Speedvision shows. The car is Hugger Orange. I recently became aware that the car had been sold and tracked down the new owner. He said that it had in fact gone BACK to the Robson collection where it'll probably stay.

Now the rest of the story: The original owner of this Camaro is also the original owner of my Red/Yellow/Orange STV. I bought the red boat when I couldn't buy his and shortly afterwards he decided to sell his after all, so now they sit side by side. He and Halfassed (I meant fast) are big buddies and they came to the Jasper races together last year although he doesn't presently have a water hot rod.

LaserModVee
08-01-2002, 08:37 AM
You sound like my Dad with his should'ves and could'ves when it comes to the cars he let go in the past! I listen to him and guys like you and still have my first car. I have owned it since I was fifteen, I am now 27 and married and plan on keeping it forever. The car has seen many motor/tranny combos. It is far from one of your beauties, but I love it to death and call it mine. In the future I plan on collecting and restoring cars back to original, but this one has been modified far past that. Maybe one day I'll regret that, but I doubt it, who cares about a Nova wagon as far as collecting goes?

It is an original 283 2 barrel powerslide car. 1965 model. I still have the original motor and trans. I have been working with Trim Parts Inc. in getting the tail light lenses reproduced for my car. After a couple of years of pestering, they appointed me to lead up the search for an NOS set so they can make a mold for them.

Talon2.5
08-13-2002, 04:01 PM
jumpin jesus how many vettes you got??

thats it, your gonna have to donate one to talon2.5 the camaro aint cutting it no more :D

Charlie M
08-13-2002, 08:38 PM
I was going to post a poicture of my Vette and project Chevelle but........All those vettes Raceman has makes me look like an idiot, DAMN he's got the ****, must be nice. I've been trying for years to find a 63 to 67 Vette, but the prices of them keep getting farther and farther out of my range. Starting to look like I need good lottery ticket to afford one.

Raceman
08-27-2002, 03:25 PM
Post em Charlie. Lookin' at ole cars and boats iz almost as much fun as lookin at women when you get my age.

LaserModVee
08-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Post the pics Charlie!

I have always wanted a 63 split window coupe, but I can't afford one either. A buddy and I have decided this winter or next to buy a fiberglass 63 split window body kit and build a tube chassis to go under it.
We will eventually do two of them.
Building round track and drag chassis is what we enjoy doing on the side, so this will be a fun project. The first one we will make a tubbed, four-link, coil-over, drag car that sits a few inches off the ground. The second car will be a street legal road racer type. Low CG, big wheels with rubber bands for tires, etc.

First we have to get about five cars out of the shop and get the motor back in my car:rolleyes:
Oh well, you're never done.

Raceman
08-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Brian, I saw the best lookin' 63 coupes I've ever seen at Super Chevy (Atlanta) this year. They were a distorted shape body and somebody said made by Hairy Glass, or Harry's Glass, or something like that. They were kinda like a Pro Mod and I kept thinking what a neat pro street type car one of those would be.

I've got a couple of 63 coupe projects that I've had for years. One was a complete running car that was disassebled in 75 for resto by a previous owner. I bought it in boxes several years later, with the chassis out and it's still in that shape today. The second I bought in early 80's as just a rolling body with interior and it still doesn't have an engine...........no progress on either one in about 16 or 18 years. At least they were real cheap back then.

LaserModVee
08-28-2002, 07:51 AM
I found the website www.hairyglass.com .
The prices look very reasonable. I think with us doing our own chassis, we could be into a nice roller with a body for low bucks.

It was smart of you to grab up those projects early on, because they sure aren't getting any cheaper as the days pass.
I love looking at the pics of your projects. you have some really neat stuff.

My problem now is where to put everything. The wife and I are starting to look heavily into some land to build a big building on. Getting rid of my toys is not an option.

Charlie M
09-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Here's my Corvette

The Chevelle is a little packed away, but its a 1969 Convertible stick shift car in a rough condition.

Raceman in the earlier posting I seen something mentioned about a smog pump, I had a 1968 Chevelle with a L-79 327 and it had a smog pump. I had all the orig paper work on the car including the window sticker and the car came out of baltimore and was sold at a local dealership. I may be mistaken but I believe that all cars with engines over 300hp (or so) had smog pumps starting in 1968, and this wasn't California emmisions.

Raceman
09-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Charlie, I know the Special High Performance Corvette engines had smog in 68, but my memory on Chevelle stuff is pretty weak. Wasn't the 68 Chevelle L79 downrated to 325 HP from 350 in previous years? I know the 67 L79 Corvette still had a 350HP rating, but seems like the L79 Nova in 67 which was super rare (less than a hundred I think) was rated at 325 also.

I've never understood the smog pump guidelines. My 70 LS6 Chevelles both have smog, but my 70 LS5 Corvette doesn't. I've never known the reason why. In 70, the LS5 was the biggest motor available in the Corvette, but it was 10.25:1 and hydraulic camshaft, oval port heads. In 71 when they finally put the LS6 in the Corvette I'm not sure if it had smog or not.