PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo. Brands??

Jeff "Yammer"
04-20-2001, 06:13 PM
To anyone who has one or knows about.
I would like to install a Digital Readout
either Gaffrig or Nordskog. I phoned Gaffrig but
they said they dont make that guage anymore
because of salt-water problems. I know the Dial
face is availible from both companies but it doesnt
have the same effect to me.

Thanks !!!!!!!!

Jeff.

Rickracer
04-24-2001, 12:28 AM
Email me....

Rickracer

Techno
04-26-2001, 07:17 PM
I saw in a mag, forgot which, an article on GPS speedos. Gafrig was pissed off by gaffrig-loversy or something like that. Anyway some one else was making them and gaffrig is getting the lisence from them to build thiers. Mercury is supposed to market one too. I think there were 4 different makers for them, maybe the price will come down from the unbelievable to acceptable. One company sold the GPS receiver for the speedo. I think that was all it did, for $300-400. Where do these marketing people get the prices for these? ( It turns out it was a kit, included both)

I think the other company was nordstog.

[Edited by Techno on 04-29-2001 at 10:35 AM]

Techno
04-29-2001, 10:36 AM
Bought the Mag. powerboat

Nordskog hgd200 $160
Nordskog hgd200 kit $370

Gaffrig 4520 $200
Gaffrig 4520/9250 kit $400

Rickracer
04-29-2001, 12:30 PM
I can do better than that....

Way2Fast
04-29-2001, 10:28 PM
I have a Nordskog digital GPS with the Garmin receiver they sell with the unit in my 2001 Triad River Racer with new drag. Used it one time...the tac function was off by 2600rpm at cruise and 800 or so at idle. The tac memory function worked only when it wanted to and to speedo memory not at all. The speedo function was VERY slow to update. My little $119 Garmin E Trex puts it to shame!! The voltmeter function would work every now and then. Needless to say, I returned the unit to the factory. I did not have an opportunity to try the replacement unit they sent me.

Rickracer
04-30-2001, 06:42 AM
I have had no experience with the Nordskogs, but can highly recommend the Gaffrig.

Way2Fast
04-30-2001, 10:35 PM
I have had more than my share of problems with Gaffrig gauges. The 2 temp gauges in my rig and the fuel gauge all fog up on the inside, even on sunny,dry days. The temp gauges have water stains on the lens inside from this condensation problem. The electronic fuel pressure gauge reads under 45 psi while the actual fuel pressure on a mechanical tester is 56psi. Needless to say, I'm returning them all for replacement. If Gaffrig is "top of the line" it is a sorry state of affairs. If some company came out with quality gauges they would make a million $$.
Just my opinion....

Rickracer
05-01-2001, 07:02 AM
Have you considered AutoMeter Pro Comp Guages? I have always used AutoMeters in customers race cars and my own, and while there is the odd defective unit, they are pretty reliable. The Pro comps are liquid filled, and there are 2 less expensive lines as well, the Accu-Sport, and the Accu-Comp. They don't have a GPS speedo though.