PDA

View Full Version : Ipod and no head unit...

pantera24
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Ok I've been reading (that's dangerous)...that you can connect your Ipod directly to an amp. The more I look into this the more I seem to like it. I'm about to purchase a system for my boat and want to know if anyone has done this.??
If so how do you have it connected?
Do you like it?
What would you do differently?

Any help is appreciated.

TeamHART2
11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
buy an adaptor cable from a 1/8 plug (headphone jack) to the RCA plugs on the amp, works great, just make sure you adjust the volume on the ipod down before startin it up haha. I have that setup on my boat, works great and less eye candy for the theives, plus I dont have to carry CDs and stuff around.

pantera24
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Cool !!! Sounds like I'm going to go this route, simple and does the job.

Thanks
Angel

merctech5591
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
:thumbsup:HAVE THAT SAME SETUP ON MY BOAT FOR 2 YEAR'S NOW.. NOT ONE ISSUE..

pantera24
11-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Do any of you have an fm tuner installed? I'm looking into installing an FM tuner with the Ipod.

TeamHART2
11-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a little crank am/fm and weather radio that I keep in the boat for when the ipod dies or I need the weather. Its pretty cool cause it picks up audio from TV channels too, so I can listen to the game if I cant get it on the radio.:thumbsup:

WATERWINGS
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
OK, how do you do this if you run two amps?

The second amp drives a sub.

merctech5591
11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
ok, How Do You Do This If You Run Two Amps?

The Second Amp Drives A Sub.

You Can Get A Splitter From Radio Shack But The Sub Amp Must Have A Low Pass Filter.. Or If You Can Still Find A Crossover That Would Work Better..

PICKLEFORK STUD
11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
ok how about on a 6 channel amp i would love to get rid of the deck doesn't seem to take the beating.

illMATTic
12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
only prob is the ipod only has a 1 volt or less output for audio. most low end head units have 2 volt and high end units have 4 volt outputs. the Ipod connected direct will work but you will not get the full potential from your amp. there are pre-amps available to boost the rca voltage up to 8 volts. these can be used in place of a head unit. A higher input voltage will result in a cleaner sound.

illMATTic
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
for any of you guys wanting to connect your Ipod directly to your amp, you will want a couple items. go to http://www.pac-audio.com. you will want part# turbo 1 to boost the line signal and you may want # LC-1 to use as a master volume.

TeamHART2
12-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Good call Matt, Those would be a wise investment, especially the second item if you are going for big bucks amps and speakers.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

ill have to look into getting those to spruce up the system a bit

John S
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
I dont see any prices on that site, tried to search around a little. Would you be any money ahead, or would you just be putting the same money elsewhere? Ive been looking at multimedia head units for around $300 (alpine). Would there be any gain to bypassing the head unit, other than if you absolutely didnt need a radio?

illMATTic
12-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't see any prices on that site, tried to search around a little. Would you be any money ahead, or would you just be putting the same money elsewhere? Ive been looking at multimedia head units for around $300 (alpine). Would there be any gain to bypassing the head unit, other than if you absolutely didn't need a radio?

these items can be purchased at any car audio shop. I can't do it all for you.:p

the personally I feel you get a better sound with a head unit. However, there are many guys out there who cant bring themselves to cut a hole in their boat or do not have the room. :thumbsup:

John S
12-16-2008, 09:59 PM
these items can be purchased at any car audio shop. I can't do it all for you.:p

lol. I see whatchya mean, I was going to do this, but decided to go with a head unit instead. Now which one......to be continued.

PICKLEFORK STUD
12-17-2008, 10:06 AM
I had a head unit but it couldn't take the pounding only lasted 2 trips.It was mounted on the floor where eliminator had a previous one but back in 93 the decks weren't as good.Thats why I'm going to my ipod plus I can personalize my playlists for boating to partying tunes plus I can mount it anywhere.Just my experience don't have to carry a million cds and have unlimited choices plus if a friend has one you can play their tunes also.Thanks for the info.