PDA

View Full Version : Explain please

Jason Johnson
11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
In the post "who makes this shid plate" It shows a pis of several Skid Plates. Before I posted, I went to the Definitions page to see just WHAT is the explained definition on a SKID PLATE. It is not in there. So what is the definition of a skid plate, and is it usefull in all boating applications

patchesII
11-08-2008, 02:09 PM
it's just to help keep the nose from coming too high on a holeshot. if you can imagine your boat rising up during holeshot the plate, for lack of better words, trips the nose of the boat down. there are many designs. some also run individual plates towards the outside of the hull. they can vary in size. some may be as small as 6x8. marty logan ran a very large one on the left side of his quartermaster. i think we have a couple of the individual ones in the shed with turnbuckles on them so you can adjust the angle upward and downward.

RNM018
11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Well in the case of my Allison . The Skid Plate aids in stopping the boat . With the 10"s of set back along with the 15" midsection , with out the plate installed ,as you begin to slow down from a 90 mph pass the jack plate will grab the water . This causes the nose to be pushed down and the keel to set very hard . Even with the boat going straight ,it's a handful to hold it straight . If it sets down the least bit left or right . Then thats where it's going ,like it or not . I feel it doesn't do so much for the launch ,as it does for the shutdown . Hints the name SkidPlate . Just my experiance . Rich Martin 018:cool:

Jason Johnson
11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
I have seen them for years, But in the past, at a race site, you don't ask questions.