PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D60

RobF
11-02-2008, 12:56 PM
For some reason my wife has a bug to get this camera. She wants to start taking photos and being that she does not usually ask for much I guess I cant complain.

I just dont want her to end up with a camera she really cant use or finds hard to use- so is this a good camera for someone getting back into photography? She will use it just as a hobby thing, if she uses it at all that is:thumbsup:

Any tips where to purchase or anything else she should be looking at?

Hottrucks
11-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Rob do a quick seach at the top I know there has been alot of talk about that modle and If I reacll it was all Good...

wca_tim
11-02-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a d80 and am VERY pleased with it... I also carry a much smaller cannon with a 10X zoom out in the boat... works just fine for most things, much easier to pack and isn't near the loss as the nikon if it goes splash...

great adventure
11-03-2008, 04:35 AM
robf I recommend you to buy d90 is great camera

kuczman
11-03-2008, 08:19 AM
D-90 has the "movie" option, but I have heard of noise problems in some iso settings. I have a cannon, but a friend of mine does a lot of photo work shutting live concert pics with the basic D-40 and they are awesome! Another one has a D-300 and his pictures are stunning, but I could not use the camera, not right away: most settings are manual and you have to know your camera setting basics.
Talk about scream and fly:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ariagalactica/2751800085/in/set-72157606605912280/

RobF
11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
if she ends up using the heck out of this camera and later on wants something else then I might be swayed, but for now I want to make sure she will use it and enjoy it before spending that much on a camera.

kuczman
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I can pretty much guarantee that she will enjoy using a digital slr. Just such speed of power- on, consecutive pictures and the quality of outcome.
While the little cameras are nice in your pocket, nothing beats a digital slr- prices are comparable too- basic Canon or Nikon are no more than couple hundred dollars over the better compact cameras. And unlike the more advanced models of digital slr-s the body is plastic and does not weigh much. I find that a big plus when walking around for hours.

RobF
11-03-2008, 09:36 AM
I point my little Sony at things and end up with half the pictures being good, I took photography classes a hundred years ago before digital cameras but I doubt I remember any of it.

wca_tim
11-03-2008, 09:47 AM
The neat little Canon sx100 that takes very good pictuires and was only a few hundred bucks. It has good image stabilization, up to 10x optical zoom and plenty of resolution for almost any everyday work. It is easily as capable as the baseline slr's I used before digital photography was really viable for high quality photos.

My Nikon takes even better pics (obviously) and is truly a joy to use, but is much heavier and was a good bit more expensive. That being said, since the d90 is the newest model, you might be able to get a d80 for a good bit less... It's a VERY servicable camera...

you COULD get her a baseline canon like one of the higher zoom sx series... and then inherit it in a year or so (or sooner) when she want's to step up a little... you'll be very impresed with the pics that you can take with one of these cameras and they have plenty of access to settings for a relatively advanced novice... IMHO of course...

pyro
11-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Getting her a point-and-shoot camera when she wants an SLR is like getting kid a cheap snare drum when he wants a drum set.

I would suggest a Nikon D80 or D90. They're each available as a combo with a decent zoom lens. $900-$1300.

RobF
11-03-2008, 10:07 AM
im not suggesting to get her a point and shoot, what I dont want is to spend $1000 on a camera and lens and next week the the whole thing is sitting in the spare room collecting dust.

pyro
11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
IF, once upon a time, she owned a film SLR and enjoyed taking pictures with it, THEN she will enjoy working with the digital SLR tenfold.

Every guy I've talked to who was in the same 'boat' and made the purchase, ended up having to pry the damn thing out of their wife's hands when they wanted to play with it.

RobF
11-03-2008, 11:17 AM
can someone tell me what a D80 would do better then a D60?

whats the differences for the hobbist?

I would rather spend a little less on a body and maybe get another lens that I could use forever.

pyro
11-03-2008, 11:47 AM
The D60's autofocus lens choices are limited (lens must be AF-S) Older AF lenses become manual-only on the D60.
It has the 3-point autofocus system, not as good as the 11-point system on the D80/D90. The D60 also lacks the LCD info screen on the top side (I use this all the time) On the D60, you have to page through menus and push buttons to change common shooting settings. On the D80, you just glance at the LCD, push a button and roll a control dial.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D60/verdict.shtml

The only real advantage to the D60 is the weight factor. Almost everything else is better on the D80/D90. Worth every penny of difference.

Do a 'net search for "D60 D80 comparison", there's lots of reviews online.

wca_tim
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
IF, once upon a time, she owned a film SLR and enjoyed taking pictures with it, THEN she will enjoy working with the digital SLR tenfold.

Every guy I've talked to who was in the same 'boat' and made the purchase, ended up having to pry the damn thing out of their wife's hands when they wanted to play with it.

I would agree with that perspective... as well as the d80 vs d60...

RobF
11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
seems as though a local store to me sells a ton of ebay stuff, I guess because the D80 has been replaced by a D90 they are selling about the same as a D60 is. Best part is they are a great local store that I can go in and talk to a real live person.

Nikon’s sensibly not messed too much with the excellent body, viewfinder and AF system of the earlier D80. These were already a cut above entry-level DSLRs, so there’s no reason to make any changes here. Electronically though, the D90 enjoys a number of upgrades including a new sensor with live view capabilities, a larger and more detailed 3in VGA screen, quicker 4.5fps continuous shooting, HDMI output, a GPS option and of course movie recording – a first for DSLRs

are these differences worth that much extra money?

Dirk Pitt
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
If I were you I would go withaq d90 and a new Rolex:thumbsup:

RobF
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I cant afford a FOLEX!

Im trying to figure out if I can get away with this being a early christmas gift:rolleyes:

Scream And Fly
11-06-2008, 03:46 AM
My opinion: The D90's sensor will outperform the D80 in every respect - dynamic range, detail, and noise, though the differences may or may not be worth it to you. As for live view and movie modes - only you can decide if that's important to you. I would imagine live view would be somewhat useful, but remember that there is no autofocus in movie mode, so that's best left to the camcorder unless you want to experiment with it.The faster continuous shooting doesn't mean anything unless you're a more advanced user. Also keep in mind that the more advanced D200 is running about the same price as the D90. I believe the D90 will have the best overall image quality of the three, assuming all other factors are equal.

Greg

Nikon’s sensibly not messed too much with the excellent body, viewfinder and AF system of the earlier D80. These were already a cut above entry-level DSLRs, so there’s no reason to make any changes here. Electronically though, the D90 enjoys a number of upgrades including a new sensor with live view capabilities, a larger and more detailed 3in VGA screen, quicker 4.5fps continuous shooting, HDMI output, a GPS option and of course movie recording – a first for DSLRs

are these differences worth that much extra money?

RobF
11-06-2008, 07:56 AM
My local store got some D80 packages in for me, for the price they are really hard to resist.
This will be really a hobby thing for her and I, I dont want to buy something that is limited but I can only afford so much right now. If we end up using this camara so much that our skills become limited by the equipment maybe then it will be time to move up to something else.

pyro
11-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Are they an authorized Nikon USA dealer? make sure they really are. some of the Ebay sellers can be shady...

RobF
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
they have been in business over 20 years, nice local mom and pop type place. Authorized dealer for many brands.

I was thinking of going there in the first place but did not know how competitve thier prices were, but I would still pay a little more money knowing I have somewhere to go if I need something or happen to have a problem.

http://www.cameta.com/index.cfm?fa=display.aboutus

wca_tim
11-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Although you can buy a better camera, I'll wager that you're wife will be incredibly pleased with the D-80. That's a great choice! and since it is not the newest model, it is not surprising that you can get really good deals on a package.

My local store got some D80 packages in for me, for the price they are really hard to resist.
This will be really a hobby thing for her and I, I dont want to buy something that is limited but I can only afford so much right now. If we end up using this camara so much that our skills become limited by the equipment maybe then it will be time to move up to something else.

Scream And Fly
11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I've purchased from Cameta before, they are legit. Sounds really cool - make sure you post your photos :)

RobF
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I got her the D80 and 2 VR lenses, now to learn how to use the thing:eek:

simple enough to take a picture, but I know this thing can do alot once you know how to use it.

Anyone ever watch one of those DVDs that show how to use the specific model camera?

Scream And Fly
11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Rob, skip the DVDs and I'll give you lessons when I get to NY.

Greg

I got her the D80 and 2 VR lenses, now to learn how to use the thing:eek:

simple enough to take a picture, but I know this thing can do alot once you know how to use it.

Anyone ever watch one of those DVDs that show how to use the specific model camera?

kuczman
11-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Watch it none the less. Get the basics and try advancing- when you get the help from a pro, it will only be more obvious why.
I always follow instruction manuals and stray away only when I understand the cons.
Spend some time on Internet forums dedicated to digital slrs.
Knowledge is power ;))

RobF
11-10-2008, 09:21 AM
thanks for the offer, I have not looked at the manual yet to even try to understand it, she is looking through the manual so I will see how she does.