PDA

View Full Version : Spent the afternoon with a Legend

Raceman
07-26-2002, 04:41 PM
One of my dogs was a little under the weather today after some early morning surgery, and I decided we'd both take the day off and stay home with her. About noon the phone rings...............Hey, it's Jim Hunt, I'm in town and wondered if you'd like to have lunch. Man, talk about a blast from the past. I haven't seen Jim since the day I blew my Allison over in 81. We ate and road around looking at all my old junk that's stored in several places. He had a scrapbook with him with pictures and certificates of all his old records. I wish I could get it and post it here. Unbelievable. There were NOA and APBA records in a bunch of different classes for both Kilo's and closed course records. The picture of the old SV, a 16 Allison, which he decked and had a T2 on was my favorite. The "Ragged But Rite" HydroStream JProduction which I'd incorrectly remembered as a Ventura was actually a Viper just as somebody else here thought. There were McCalls with Stackers, and Super BP's. There was a Broughton with a T3 and a Molinari with a CCC. The boats that showed names in the pictures were the "Ragged But Rite" Hydrostream, the "Just Rite" 16 Ally, and one of the tunnels was called "The Old Reliable"

There ain't nothin' like spending the day with somebody who you really admired at the races a long time ago and doin' a lot of bench racin'.

XSRaveau
07-26-2002, 06:33 PM
talked with him via phone this week, he offered to help me straighten out the XS/Raveau combo. Said he was going to be on vacation and I could come over and visit to dial in the XS. If 7 hours didn't separate us (along with a business to run, a wife, 3-year old and 3-month old daughters) I would make a run over to spend a couple of day's with him.

Norris, glad you had the pleasure. I understand Jim was one of the best. If he was half the boat racer as he is a gentleman, I'm sure was pretty good.

Did ya'll happen to talk about setting the synchronization on inlines by chance?

Raceman
07-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Why yes.............yes we did. He said he figured that was some of Wally's idea. (our old retired Merc buddy) I said yep, but he has amnesia on it now, but I've been settin' em that way for 25 years and it's always worked for me. He just smiled and nodded.

You're right, he is the proverbial southern gentleman.

helmetguru
08-01-2002, 01:04 AM
i remember Jim's #120 all white Seebold boats back in the early 80's...blast from the past.

Bruster
08-13-2002, 08:06 PM
I usually see Jim In Mount Dora every March. He always shares some of his past with me and always has some info on how to do something or knows someone who does. Jim helped me locate my Carlson in '99. Without a doubt the last "new" '69 Carlson sold. He is putting a BP/Twister motor together and I fixed him up with a nice midsection I had collecting dust.

brianT2
08-19-2002, 10:54 PM
thanks for the kind words about my dad, i"ll pass them along. a few adjustments on boat id's. white broughton-"the old reliable"w/ ccc --- maroon&silver molinari-"the old reliable"w/T-3-1750xs.the molinari was the boat reggie was flipping in that famous triple flip photo from miami marine stadium.purchased from bob thompson"just add water racing" w/ copy of velden rear cowl on it.

Raceman
08-20-2002, 03:32 PM
I remembered Jim's white boat as being a Broughton because I had a shortened Broughton rear cowl on my 16 Allison the first time I saw it. I think I said it backwards in the original post, but that was a typo. I don't recall seeing him run the silver boat.

Why don't you buy him a computer and make him come and play with us.