PDA

View Full Version : I learned from this..

benski
10-23-2008, 04:26 AM
What single experience made you a safer and/or better boat operator? :eek:

Hottrucks
10-23-2008, 07:22 AM
seeing bad stuff happen first hand and then looking for the parts

Tony Montana
10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
a picture says a thousand words and there are 13 pictures- safety equipment saves lives.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78759&highlight=hanks+blowover

Hottrucks
10-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Tony I agree that is an extreme example........but it's the littler stuff...that you never expect like a broken seat stand while in the middle of a corner that flip a guy out....( not me)

transomstand
10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Getting old:D

benski
10-28-2008, 12:11 AM
No one else has learned anything that scared them about boating? REALLY? No near misses, bad judgement calls, "Oh, it'll be wonderfuls out there? 47,000 plus perfect boaters? My, the USCG Auxilliary is pumping out some first class students nowadays.!

lckytrbl
10-28-2008, 10:42 PM
not keeping my full attention(bikinis) on the waterway in the direction im traveling,combined with complacency(75mph)and a houseboat wake from a vessel underway almost a mile away.we escaped uninjured,but seated on the floor under my vegas xt's dash.i swear it stood almost verticle for what seemed like forever,and happened so fast i dont remember it.

benski
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Icky, thanks for posting! This thread certainly isn't aimed at bashing people, I was hoping it might point out some pitfalls out there that could be avoided without having to live through them firsthand!. Thanks again..:smiletest::thumbsup:

lckytrbl
10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
those are actually L's in my user name.in my "i learned"post i omitted the fact that operating under the influence contributed to the poor judgement and my have been the primary cause of the incident(98%chemical,1%young operator,1%bikini)too add insult to near injury,my ex-wife stated many times that the girls i was looking at werent worth a second look,let alone a long,drawn out one.she was occasionally correct.

lckytrbl
10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
i learned at an early age how much hull plugs could be sold for,if potential buyers happened to be inexperienced and desparate.as a kid i jumped in and installed plenty of them at a local lake.

alxb2003
11-04-2008, 10:22 PM
steering arm breaking a few seconds after a high speed run.just by the grace of GOD it broke at 50 instead of 95.also that no one was lined up beside me.
since that time i have a new lifeline,helmet, and steering arms with welded gussets that are heat treated(thanks bob)

almost every time i look thru the s/f forums i learn something .thanks to the pictures and discussion of accidents i feel that i have become more safety aware.so i say thanks guys!:thumbsup:

Stitch King
11-05-2008, 06:55 AM
I have 2...

My old Cat lifting off at 80 mph because of to much trim. I learned that "flat is fast".

Driving another Cat boat and trying everything to get it to stop hopping. Cocked the wheel to put it in a shallow turn thinking that would help. Caught a sponson at 70 mph and the damn thing went hard left. Vowed to never drive that boat again.

Neither resulted in a wreck. Had to change my shorts though.

Pro300x24LD
11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
See Avatar, I learned that running fast and trimmed out is fun, but not a good idea all the time.

Slowmo
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
This is a great thread..The first time driving a pickel jet,pinned the throttle and then thought i would turn left,the boat did but me and rider went for a swim..Scared the crap out of me..I was young but get some seat time in em now.

yachter55
01-27-2009, 07:03 PM
carry extra batteries for the gps when you cross lake michigan 60 miles in a 14. inflatable.but my squadren classes paid off and i made the last twenty miles ok.Thru out a 75'ski rope and watched to see how straight my line was.ps dont tell the old lady cause she will scream the whole time.

150aintenuff
02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
good RElays are a must!!!!! lost a trim system on my hydrostream.. the end result was a 80 MPH bat turn from hell.... engine was at 11K + totally out of the water and couldnt shut it down fast enough, nose dipped to the windshield, sisters boyfirend pee'd himself I ended up in the passenger side rear of the boat next to the spinning prop... THANK GOD no other boats were even close... result was a complete rerig of every electronic component so it wouldnt happen again

another time was when I drove a buddys Allison as we were trying to dial it in.... motor was to deep and had wrong prop /lower unit combo... it TRIED to becomme a hooker but that was saved by a notso smart "educated( spun before in an out of controll boat)" operator knowing WHAt a pending doom of a bat turn felt like... prop broke loose and i chopped the throttle right as the nose fell back into the water and swung hard left, luckilly the motor caught and resulted in WICKED chine walk.. but didnt go around... got wet on that one as the splash wave went over the boat pulling a passenger seat out of the boat...

WATERWINGS
02-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I had the red and white tunnel below hook violenty with me on the last run to the house, coming around the last turn before home.

It happened so fast, it would have been all over with before I knew it, but I got lucky and with a loud UUUUGGGGHHHH as I tightened my grip on the wheel, I was able to stay in the boat.

I had a full beer in between my legs, and when I got my $hit back together, and needed a drink to calm my nerves......the beer was almost empty.

The G-force of the hook emptied my beer out the side of the boat.:eek:

oceantraveler
02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I managed to Stuff a 31 ft scorpion coming thru Holgate side of Little egg inlet in N.J.about 8 years ago.We were runnin from a thunder storm and i decided to zig zag back and forth thru the waves instead of slowing down. I had the Tabs down aswell and forgot to put them up while runnin thru the inlet.So needless to say a wave got under me so quick i didnt have time to react and the stern caught the crest and we surfed it to the bottom it was about 8ft roller i guess.I was hopen that the bow would pop up but she didnt i stuffed her right into the bottom. When the hull rode up the next roller i had to gun it to keep movin we had water up to my knees inside and when i looked to see how low in the water we were riden the motors were almost under.as we climed up another wave most of the water rolled over the transom.Thank god for self bailing cockpits. I should of known better to screw around in LE inlet in a storm but we were in a hurry and we got caught with our pants down! Also this was the madien voyage with Trim Tabs on this hull. so A following sea with the tabs down was a deff no no ! Needless to say we took the tabs off the boat before next season rolled around.This particular boat didnt respond well at all with trim tabs.. It was like she was possed with them on her!!:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil::confused::confused::confused:

ehill
03-23-2009, 02:28 AM
That is a good idea with the ski rope yachter55 might need that one day.

Marko
03-23-2009, 04:59 AM
I managed to Stuff a 31 ft scorpion coming thru Holgate side of Little egg inlet in N.J.about 8 years ago.We were runnin from a thunder storm and i decided to zig zag back and forth thru the waves instead of slowing down. I had the Tabs down aswell and forgot to put them up while runnin thru the inlet.So needless to say a wave got under me so quick i didnt have time to react and the stern caught the crest and we surfed it to the bottom it was about 8ft roller i guess.I was hopen that the bow would pop up but she didnt i stuffed her right into the bottom. When the hull rode up the next roller i had to gun it to keep movin we had water up to my knees inside and when i looked to see how low in the water we were riden the motors were almost under.as we climed up another wave most of the water rolled over the transom.Thank god for self bailing cockpits. I should of known better to screw around in LE inlet in a storm but we were in a hurry and we got caught with our pants down! Also this was the madien voyage with Trim Tabs on this hull. so A following sea with the tabs down was a deff no no ! Needless to say we took the tabs off the boat before next season rolled around.This particular boat didnt respond well at all with trim tabs.. It was like she was possed with them on her!!:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil::confused::confused::confused:

Been through Holgate 1000 times----know what you mean----rode a roller in and it pushed me under the next one in a 19' glaspar bowrider---took on 50 gal or so but punched it & made it through----Laughed about it later but not so funny at the time!

oceantraveler
03-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Been through Holgate 1000 times----know what you mean----rode a roller in and it pushed me under the next one in a 19' glaspar bowrider---took on 50 gal or so but punched it & made it through----Laughed about it later but not so funny at the time!
I hear ya lol.Holgate can be a real nightmare in the springtime,Hell anytime for that matter.Its not so bad goin offshore but when it blows from the east its a real chore to navigate thru there.I sometimes hugg the beach headed out.Theres plenty of water about 15 to 20 yards of the beach passed f bouy.If you run the channel to f then come hard to port to the beach head your in good water all the way!The bottom changes there on a daily basis.but lately its been ok.I see the coast guard is busy getting ready to put all the missing bouys back so the WEEKENDERS dont run aground evertime they go boating! heheeheheheh gota love it!:thumbsup:

aguywithabucket
07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
u think ur in controle and have her by the nuts well u got ur foot down and finger on the trim untill it all hapens then u truly realise that ur not the driver giving her a spanking rather she is the boss and she is about to spank u for thinking that u are the one who controls her
1 min u are loving it next minut u are preying for ur life as it flashes bye

Darkside's Calling
07-26-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm just learning to fly a tunnel ('86 Eliminator 21'), only running high 70's right now (no GPS), and have:

1. Gotten it trimed up a little too high at speed, not to the point of blow over, but just starting to lift slightly on it's own. "****... Trim down, slight trail throttle, settle the nose and roll back into the throttle."

2. Running trimmed up (but not as much) and running hard, came out from behind a ridgeline and caught a headwind. Lifted the back of the hull, prop walked to the side twice and settled back in. After this run Inspector Lance told me I had the nose way up. Actually SEVERAL people told me it was way up, mostly owners of Eliminators with blown jets. Did this Saturday (25 July) still waiting for pic's of the pass to post up.

What have I learned?

1. Listen to those who have already been there (learned that back in my Stock car racing days), why invent the wheel over again...

2. Use the trim button a little more judiciously... I've looked at pic's of boats running nose high, basically on the prop, and "Thought" that was the way to run it.

Fortunately my ignorance didn't hurt me, anyone else, or my equipment, but I found out the seat upholsterly stll has plenty of "pucker factor" left.

Hottrucks
07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
remenber that tunnels fly on there own so once you get it aired out you can acually trim it down a bit this will turn the bow lift into forward thrust to get you really moving the best trim angle is 0* to the water

Darkside's Calling
07-29-2009, 12:18 AM
copy , I wondered about that.... next time out I'll get it up and aired and then start trimming back down and see what that does for it...

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/jrork/IMG_5562-1.jpg

Darkside's Calling
07-29-2009, 12:32 AM
WOOHOO my first working picture attempt!!!! here's #2

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/jrork/IMG_5555-1.jpg