PDA

View Full Version : convert wire feed to weld Aluminum?

illMATTic
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Can i convert my entry level wire feed welder so I can weld aluminum?

matt

rock
10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
You probably can but you will need an argon tank.
Rock

illMATTic
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
it has argon already. do i use a different wire?

Riverman
10-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Pretty hard to push aluminum wire. Most wire feed guns made for aluminum either have a spool on the gun or have drive rollers on the gun.

If the wire is .035 or over it could be OK. Also, I think you need AC to weld aluminum. :confused:

Hottrucks
10-22-2008, 05:41 PM
you need to get a diff liner for your hose switch to argon also the rollers will need to be changed and the secret to it is to keep your cable as straight as you can....I have done a ton of this trust me ...what are you using for a machine???

slamram99
10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
ya you need a spool gun. aluminum melts faster so the spool gun feeds wire faster. then you get aluminum wire.

Hottrucks
10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
ya you need a spool gun. aluminum melts faster so the spool gun feeds wire faster. then you get aluminum wire.

not true..................if you ike I will get the model and settings off my machine......

benski
10-22-2008, 07:40 PM
You will also need the adjustable timer for the gas cone and all that good stuff. Any welding shop worth their salt will be able to steer you in the right direction as far as equipment goes. If you go back and forth a lot between ferrous and non-ferrous metals, it won't be too long before you buy a second complete set-up.

illMATTic
10-22-2008, 09:12 PM
well we have this older miller matic? at work. i wanted to add some braces to this setback bracket i picked up. i'll most likely just have somebody weld it for me. i cant see retro fitting the one at work for one or two uses.

thanks guys for the help.

Riverman
10-22-2008, 09:55 PM
I have done a ton of this trust me ...I have seen it done too, no doubt it can be done. Just not a job for a rookie. :)

Instigator
10-23-2008, 07:11 AM
pretty sure I just change the wire, the gun tip for that wire, add gas and go.

Hottrucks
10-23-2008, 07:16 AM
well we have this older miller matic? at work. i wanted to add some braces to this setback bracket i picked up. i'll most likely just have somebody weld it for me. i cant see retro fitting the one at work for one or two uses.

:iagree:
I think you are doing the right thing bring it and have it tig welded it's a much stronger cleaner weld

Riverman
10-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I think you are doing the right thing bring it and have it tig welded it's a much stronger cleaner weld:iagree:
TIG is always better, just slower. :)

BarryStrawn
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
What generally happens running aluminum wire down the cable is a birdsnest. The wire just isn't stiff enough to be pushed reliably. But it can be done if you don't mind stopping and clearing the jamb ups. As was mentioned, keeping the cable straight may help.

jay1
10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
i have an 140amp bottom doller "el cheapo deluxo" 110.. and it welds alum like a pro.. without going to look ... there is two types of wire one is stiffer.. and i dont mean the differance in dia. there both .035 pushes through the metel liner fine so long as yer stretched out ... makes putting on a cone easy as 123 strait argon not 75/25 and crank up the gas pressure ,you wouldent even believe it was mig-ed

Dd24skater
10-31-2008, 05:57 AM
Tough to push aluminum through a mig torch, spool gun or tig is the way to go!

Tom Foley
12-22-2008, 06:48 AM
I think you are doing the right thing bring it and have it tig welded it's a much stronger cleaner weld

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

150aintenuff
12-29-2008, 03:17 AM
its doable...

argon gas

turn wire feed speed to 100%
loosten the drive rolls as loos as possible but still able to feed wire
teflon gun liner
mig gun lead needs to be PERFECTALLY straight
set voltage or tap setting on high
4043 wire is your all purpose wire in .035
5356 is your marine grade wire for 5X and 6X alloys and is stiffer and stronger than 4043

argon at set to 30 works good for most general repairs.

i have a millermatic 140 and it works for small porjects and welds like a champ

i also have a thermal dynamics 225 with a spool gun but its got a lot shorter power cord and is used for bigger bench projects,

Ive repaired broken drives with my 140 and 5356.030 wire without a spool gun, but i will say if you hit a spot where it doesnt arc and stops the feed your diggin a rats nest out of the drive rolls..

id only recommend it if you were out of options and had no other choices, ive done so and it worked for me, but its far from Ideal... TIG is the ideal..

they also make a DC stick rod for aluminum and its even worse IMO than forcing a mig gun to feed aluminum

tigweld
01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Tig is the deal:D

150aintenuff
01-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Tig is the deal:D

agreed

camtra
02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
You can do it, bu it is worth it for you to purchase a spool gun. These are very easy to weld with.:thumbsup:

gw1250
02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Be careful, if it is a high stress application and you upset the heat treatment in the Aluminum alloy were you are welding you can change its properties. Aluminum alloys are given their strength through precipitation hardening and when you re-heat a treated Al-alloy you run the risk of recrystallizing it an thus undoing a specific heat treatment. Ask yourself if the braces are worth the possibility of making another part weaker, my .02 from a materials stand point.

onerew1
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I was gonna chime in here but 150aint beat me to it. I have a Lincoln Sp130, for aluminum, I had to use some 50 series .035 wire with the steel liner and it did fine. Roller tension was critical. Did alot of work that way, until I made enough to get the TIG. I agree, I'd do again in a pinch, but don't recommend it. REW

150aintenuff
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Be careful, if it is a high stress application and you upset the heat treatment in the Aluminum alloy were you are welding you can change its properties. Aluminum alloys are given their strength through precipitation hardening and when you re-heat a treated Al-alloy you run the risk of recrystallizing it an thus undoing a specific heat treatment. Ask yourself if the braces are worth the possibility of making another part weaker, my .02 from a materials stand point.

if you get the entire piece that hot your not welding.. your melting... a proper weld process SHOULDN'T effect the base metal enough to greatly reduce its strength enough to be of any concern, and truth be told a PROPER weld is stronger than the metal surrounding it...

coins coins coins
02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
a regular mig wire feed will do aluminium....a teflon liner with a short gun is recomended if you dont have drive rollers in the gun handle itself the longer the wire is after the rollers the more chance it has to get balled up in the gun itself you can buy little pads like scotchbrites with a clip to install between the spool of wire and the drive roll assembly...aluminium is dirty chit one of the things that kill liners when welding aluminium one of the biggest problems isnt the fact that it wont be welded but rather the gun liner itself gets gummed up with the oxidation common of aluminium
welding machine with a spool gun is really the way to go

hydroholic
08-28-2011, 07:33 AM
I have a lincon 180 HD. Lincoln spool gun ( paid $195) and argon 75%-25% mix. Welds like a dream . Heat stays pretty centralized close to the weld when welding. I would recommend getting a spool gun or like suggested above, get it done with a tig.
Hydro