PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Get a new flash or new lens?

rockycarr
10-01-2008, 05:08 AM
I have a wedding reseption to shoot this sat and I am sure that it will have low light in the hall. I know that I will need a flash and am looking at the SB-800 or the SB-600. My question is will the 18-135mm work with a flash and shoud that be enough or do I need a 50mm lens to go with it. This is for a nikon D50. I am not the hired picture taker so I am only doing this for fun. Trying my hand at it. What settings shoud I try using the camera on for shooting in the lower light. I am only used to shooting outside during the daylight hours. Thanks for any help. Bill

seahorse
10-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Like you, I am not a pro but an enthusiast when it comes to photography. After looking over all the specs and reading photog newsgroups and forums, I chose the SB-600 for my flash. It is a bit smaller and almost as powerful, plus much cheaper than the SB-800.

It has done fine on my D-70s and now on my D-300 Nikon.

hsbob
10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
the lens is ok. you need the 600 flash it has a higher guide # and adds an extra 35feet to the range. also consider the sd-8a battery pack system. be sure it will work on the d-70. it allows the flash to take 1-2 pictures per sec. the 600 takes 3-5 sec to re-power.