PDA

View Full Version : Want advice on a buffer

4Speed
09-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Looking to purchase a electric buffer. What should I get (dont want a piece of crap) for a fiberglass boat?

gfinch
09-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Spend the $$$ once. Get a buffer that body shops use. Variable speed is a must. Slow speed is a must. Torque is a must. I have a Milwaukee others are Makita, Bosch....

1BadAction
09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Makita 9227C. has all speed settings in a dial to control how fast is runs with a full trigger pull. the trigger is infinitely variable and soft start so you can ramp it up softly and not sling compound everywhere.

I got mine from a local tool store. was about 20 bucks more than mail order, but if it ever breaks out of warranty they'll fix it for the cost of parts only.

Hottrucks
09-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Spend the $$$ once. Get a buffer that body shops use. Variable speed is a must. Slow speed is a must. Torque is a must. I have a Milwaukee others are Makita, Bosch....

I have the Makita model 9227C also KEEP in Mind WEIGHT it doesn't sound like a big thing till yo have been running it sideways/upside down for a couple hours

Variable speed ..... knob not trigger
soft start
velcro backing
reversable handle

I love it....now that I have had it a few years I wish I had spent the $$ sooner

Bruster
09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I got an old 2 speed Craftsman. The SOB is SO LOUD I have to wear shooting muffs when I use it. It just won't die, but I'm going to replace it with something good & quiet sometime soon. :thumbsup:

Cobra1racer
09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I got an old 2 speed Craftsman. The SOB is SO LOUD I have to wear shooting muffs when I use it. It just won't die, but I'm going to replace it with something good & quiet sometime soon. :thumbsup:

hahahahaa. I went through several of those, a new one every 1.5 years. I switched to a makita, 71/2" buffer grinder. This puppy has worked like a dog and has been kicked around like a red headed step child. I love it. I've never used one of them funky orbital buffers, no use for it. Just watch out you don't burn the surface. It's all in the pad, get a good one.

Bruster
09-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Wow, I bought this one in the late 70's. My old buffer burned up and I needed 1 for finishing my Corvette. I can't count the cars and boats I've used this one on. I adapted a velcro backing plate and never looked back. But boy has it got LOUD. I just can't make it quit.

hahahahaa. I went through several of those, a new one every 1.5 years. I switched to a makita, 71/2" buffer grinder. This puppy has worked like a dog and has been kicked around like a red headed step child. I love it. I've never used one of them funky orbital buffers, no use for it. Just watch out you don't burn the surface. It's all in the pad, get a good one.

mr_velocity
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Makita 9227C. has all speed settings in a dial to control how fast is runs with a full trigger pull. the trigger is infinitely variable and soft start so you can ramp it up softly and not sling compound everywhere.

I got mine from a local tool store. was about 20 bucks more than mail order, but if it ever breaks out of warranty they'll fix it for the cost of parts only.

I bought one a couple years ago based on the recommendations of S&F. Great advice, the 9227 is a very nice piece :thumbsup:

Cobra1racer
09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow, I bought this one in the late 70's. My old buffer burned up and I needed 1 for finishing my Corvette. I can't count the cars and boats I've used this one on. I adapted a velcro backing plate and never looked back. But boy has it got LOUD. I just can't make it quit.

Back in the day if a power tool went bad, you could walk in with the old one and walk out with a new one. No questions asked. You better hold on to it, a new one will never last as long. back when Sears had a good name.

benski
09-21-2008, 06:36 PM
When you get rich and famous, and after you've purchased your:smiletest: Makita, check out a random orbit from Griot's Garage. Nice and light, smooth, and with their pads and polishing compounds, impossible to burn finishes.Just my $.02:D

twogees
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
flex or porter cable makes an awesome da polisher.. variable speed works great .

i love my dewalt... has same features as the makita..the only reason i liked the makita better was for the center handle.
(i do alot of upside down polishing) but dewalt fixed that and just came out with one.

use it everyday and has never broke. and trust me i use and abuse the heck out of em.
i use the quick release pads.no backing plate. always centered and you dont have to worry about the backing plate breaking or velcro coming off. plus the pads are double sided. GL.

Scott in MN
09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
We use 4 or 5 variable speed Makitas at the shop. Orbitals are good for final finishing but if you are wetsanding you better have a rotary style with a wool pad. The Makita will slow down enough for a final finish with a foam polish pad. If you can only buy one get the Makita....

Stealth Assassin
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM

Brushes maybe???

williamsdetailing
10-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I've used a makita for years, but now-a-days im using dewalt. The dewalt just feels better in my hands.

ghost28
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I've used a makita for years, but now-a-days im using dewalt. The dewalt just feels better in my hands.

the dewalt is a twin to my trusty Snap on wheel i have had for years...i have to agree that when using the dewalt/snap on they just feel like an extension of your arms.....the makita is a killer unit and i have used one for a few jobs but i love what i have.....

RobF
10-14-2008, 08:31 AM
I hate the slow start up on the makitas, makes buffing a small area a pain in the butt.

We only buy big, bulky milwaukees, we can run these things ALL day everyday and they never need repair.
A bit heavy for a do-it-yourselfer, but its a tool that will last you a lifetime.

williamsdetailing
10-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I had the same problem with the makita i was using when i worked for someone else. I just figured it needed to be serviced, because the owner said that it used to spin up like the dewalts when it was new. I have never used a milwaukee buffer but i have a 7" milwaukee grinder and it very stout

Stealth Assassin
10-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Is milwaukee made In the U.S.? If so, I may give It a try! I like my dewalt.

RobF
10-14-2008, 03:45 PM
George- the DeWalt is the old Black and Decker machine who made them for Snap On, the snap ons used to come with a polished head.

The old Black and Decker Buffmaster was at the time the best polisher you could buy if you detailed cars.

For boats with gelcoat you want speed and torque, you dont get good results trying to polish gelcoat with a slow buffer. The milwaukee machine will knock you out if it was to hit you- and never, ever use the trigger lock.

Stealth Assassin
10-14-2008, 03:53 PM
and never, ever use the trigger lock.

Hahahaha........ That made me remember getting a hold of one of the loose light pole sockets one time. The socket spun around beating my knuckles and twisting the wires untill I snatched the buffer back and the socket flew off(we never found It). All of this to keep from damaging the gel. Beat my knuckles black and blue! I learned a huge leason that day... :cool:

1BadAction
10-14-2008, 04:02 PM
I had the same problem with the makita i was using when i worked for someone else. I just figured it needed to be serviced, because the owner said that it used to spin up like the dewalts when it was new. I have never used a milwaukee buffer but i have a 7" milwaukee grinder and it very stout
the makitas are designed to soft start. at first I really didn't like it, but after you get used to it, it makes it much easier to control. It doesnt jerk you around as hard or sling compound every where as easy, especially when you are on a real fast setting.

Hahahaha........ That made me remember getting a hold of one of the loose light pole sockets one time. The socket spun around beating my knuckles and twisting the wires untill I snatched the buffer back and the socket flew off(we never found It). All of this to keep from damaging the gel. Beat my knuckles black and blue! I learned a huge leason that day... :cool:
LOLOL I had a grinder with a brand new 36 grit flap disk (no guard) catch on something and walk right up my left middle finger. Looks like I stuck it in a bench grinder. :o

ghost28
10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I hate the slow start up on the makitas, makes buffing a small area a pain in the butt.

We only buy big, bulky milwaukees, we can run these things ALL day everyday and they never need repair.
A bit heavy for a do-it-yourselfer, but its a tool that will last you a lifetime.

i used to use a milwaukee when i worked at the boat yard....same machine for like 10 years...buffed thousands of boats with it......it will give you quite a work out with all the torque and the weight of it.....and as far as using the trigger lock goes...i would only use it when doing hull sides below the rub rail where there wasnt much to catch or on a big flat deck...anything else no damn way.....

the milwaukee is so torqey that i snapped a few cleats with it catching them....tore off an antenna here an there....

RobF
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
you cant operate a milwaukee if you wear a skirt

Stealth Assassin
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Ahhahahahaha........... :cheers:

ghost28
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM

ouch...you know i reserved my comment on the trigger lock as the original said you can use thhe lock if your a REAL MAN but i didnt want to upset you...but now...game on....:D

RobF
10-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I thought you would see more humor in that!
Its meant that if your going to whine about a heavy buffer dont buy the milwaukee.
If you do buy the milwaukee buy the variable speed or high speed one for a gelcoat boat, the lower speed one is useless.

And about the trigger lock- even real men get a buffer caught on something, or they might fall off a ladder, slide off a deck, trip a breaker- thats the worse- we had a guy trip the breaker because we had 3 buffers going at once. Well guess what? One guy had his trigger lock on and when the breaker was tripped that fuc*er went flying across the deck of the freshly painted Blackfin we were working on. 10 years later I am still telling everyone who picks up a buffer in this shop to not even think about using the trigger lock.

Stealth Assassin
10-15-2008, 08:22 AM
You prabally could take the trigger lock off.
What rpm range do you buff at?

RobF
10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
we are polishing mostly sanded paint and gelcoat. With a slower speed polisher you are there at least twice as long to try to get the surface polished. So for compounding you want 2500+RPM, for glaze you can go a little slower, like 1400-1500.
For polishing dull gelcoat boats no one can ever convince me that a slower polisher will do a better job, having polished for whats probably thousands of hours I can tell if there is a way to cut the time and get it shiny I have tried it.

If your going to polish the hood of your car then you dont want 2500rpm, you want to keep it under 1500-1800. Unless that hood is Imron:thumbsup:

Hottrucks
10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
what do you use for a compound?? I have a maketa and use the 3M super duty but if there's something else I would try it??

Stealth Assassin
10-15-2008, 08:56 AM
what do you use for a compound?? I have a maketa and use the 3M super duty but if there's something else I would try it??

IMHO.... Aquabuff Is some of the best for the price.

pyro
10-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I have one of the Hitachi buffers that looks like many others, with a variable trigger and speed range dial. Speed is electronically regulated. It cuts out if you put too much surface pressure on it. Every once in a while, while on a slow setting, the buffer will suddenly spin WFO for no reason, until the trigger is released, then it goes back to acting normal. It's really annoying.

When it's working correctly, it works great.

pyro
10-15-2008, 09:01 AM
If the surface is already in good shape with only a few light towel scuffs, I like to use Meguiar's Swirl Remover, followed by Meguiar's Machine Glaze, each on its own clean foam buffing wheel.

williamsdetailing
10-15-2008, 09:03 AM
thats the thing that kills me, i have the so called "know it alls" that always tell me that im spinning the buffer too fast. It aggravates the hell out of me when i have a 50 something guy tell me in his day he detailed cars so i should listen to him. Like you said slower is not better when compounding, if I were to spin 1800 compounding then i think i would triple my prices.

ghost28
10-18-2008, 07:01 AM
i agree that spinning them slow is useless on gelcoat......

for all of the know it alls that come over and say you need to slow tha thing down...i tell em well then you do it and lets seee how nice it comes out.....

my favorite is the guys that are constantly asking WHAT KIND OF WAX DO YOU USE as i am compounding a boat.....i tell em ahhh its jut some run of the mill cleaner wax.....i keep all of my materials in unlabeled bottles and it really pisses people off.....everyone thinks its just some MAGIC WAX that you are using not know how and skill with a buffer....

and dont even get me started with people wanting cars done.....everyone thinks todays paints are the same as the old laquer paints....just a little compound and rag is what they think will revive there paint.....

Hottrucks
10-18-2008, 07:38 AM
paint on new cars now thats funny.....I don't think they could put it on anny thinner...

RobF
10-18-2008, 09:00 AM
cars are almost all waterbased paints now

next time someone is aggrevating you put a dab of compound on the boat and let the buffer whip it at thier face- that gets em to back off

williamsdetailing
10-18-2008, 08:01 PM
usually the whine of the buffer shuts them up. you'd be surprised at how many try to talk over it though, but i can hear a damn thing they say.

twogees
10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
i agree that spinning them slow is useless on gelcoat......

for all of the know it alls that come over and say you need to slow tha thing down...i tell em well then you do it and lets seee how nice it comes out.....

my favorite is the guys that are constantly asking WHAT KIND OF WAX DO YOU USE as i am compounding a boat.....i tell em ahhh its jut some run of the mill cleaner wax.....i keep all of my materials in unlabeled bottles and it really pisses people off.....everyone thinks its just some MAGIC WAX that you are using not know how and skill with a buffer....

and dont even get me started with people wanting cars done.....everyone thinks today's paints are the same as the old lacquer paints....just a little compound and rag is what they think will revive there paint.....

I love it:thumbsup:. you said it perfectly...i thought it was just me.as far as wax i always just say it depends on the situation -usually shuts em up.and actually most of em think wax and a rag will get their chalky oxidized surface like new again. "oh just throw some wax on it".:reddevil:

bigroundrocks
11-21-2008, 10:57 PM

I have to say my gel coat is in tough shape so I thought i would look in to it. I need to do something about it this winter.

Anyway when I read this I about fell out of my chair laughing. THIS actually happened to me. My brother has one he uses on his trucks
the first time i used it it kicked back and grabed my shirt spun it so tight i thought it was come'n off. handle came around and I got a nice kidney shot. Hurt alot..... :eek:Scared the crap out of me!!

1BadAction
11-21-2008, 11:32 PM
I have to say my gel coat is in tough shape so I thought i would look in to it. I need to do something about it this winter.

Anyway when I read this I about fell out of my chair laughing. THIS actually happened to me. My brother has one he uses on his trucks
the first time i used it it kicked back and grabed my shirt spun it so tight i thought it was come'n off. handle came around and I got a nice kidney shot. Hurt alot..... :eek:Scared the crap out of me!!

Ironic that you posted this tonight. I was buffing some aluminum pieces about 2 hours ago with the trigger lock on and the buffer turned up full blast... Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the aftermath.

Makita Buffer-1 : 1Bad-0 (the black is whats left of my shirt)

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/8688/1121082320om0.jpg

I also have random burns and missing hair on my stomach and arms, and what will probably be bruises where it beat the **** out of my hands before I could get it unplugged. :o

bigroundrocks
11-22-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't mean to laugh but thats rather ironic. I forgot to ad that when it happened I thought I broke my wrist for the first few seconds after word. My first thought when it happened was to fight it. I lost!!! I was sore for a day or so. Sorry to hear that it happened to you I hope your alright.

Scott in MN
11-22-2008, 12:49 AM
We had a Milwaukee here once and called it the panel ripper because if it caught an edge it didn't just burn thru the paint it tried to remove the panel.

1BadAction
11-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't mean to laugh but thats rather ironic.
by all means man, go ahead, I was laughing right after it happened. :D :cheers: Ditto on the panel ripper, thats the good thing about foam pads, they wear out relatively quick, but if you catch an edge they just rip chunks out of the pad instead of doing damage.

twogees
11-22-2008, 06:25 PM
lmao..that suxs

i thought you were polishing alum looking at that pad ..i use wool on alum instead of foam doesnt clump up as much and cuts much faster.... for paint foam for alum wool. then finish it off w/ a sweatshrt rag inside out on a da buffer like a porter or flex.no swirls. GL.

DetailzDelivered
12-06-2008, 03:06 PM
DEWALT + 1

I have been detailing cars for 8+ yrs and DEWALT Buffers seem the most reliable and go from 800rpm to around 4000rpms! You will want to stay around 2800-3200 or on most of the boat but when you get around edges/moldings its good to only do around 1200 or you will eat the paint off the edges/rubber moldings up real quick!