PDA

View Full Version : How to make Composite Transom

airide18
07-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Need to strengthin my 12ft vee soo i can put my mod 75omc on it with nitros system.It needs to be a little stronger.

vector mike
07-21-2002, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure about what composite to use but you could use marine grade plywood and add knees to it for more strength.

Georgia Boy
07-22-2002, 08:54 AM
a great deal recently about "Seacast" for building a transom let me do a little looking for the link but I saw a series of pics somewhere showing how they did it. there are several guys on here who have used seacast or epoxies for a transom, just hang in there and they will let you know what you are looking for.

78switz
08-10-2002, 07:13 PM
try www.transomrepair.com I think thats seacasts web site

Techno
08-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Its the transom knees that are going to do all the work.
That seacast stuff is expensive, heavy and weak. It's good points are its easy to do, I don't know of another.
Its resin with tiny glass stuff in it. The strength others have claimed is the aluminum plate that was stuck in it.

I haven't figured it but that amount of resin and glass would probably equal a transom built entirely out of fiberglass cloth and the minimal resin needed for the 2-3" thick layup. This would be stronger, lighter and a whole lot more work!

The ply transom is great as long as you seal all the holes you put in it. Not gob up the bolt, but seal the hole itself like it was the outer surface. This way a leak is only a leak in the boat and not into the wood.
Plywood is light and strong. It's the wood peckers that give it a bad rep.

airide18
08-13-2002, 10:29 AM
Hey thanks alot for that information.