PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in Transom

joshd
07-21-2002, 07:46 AM
So I bought an 82 Seacraft 19 footer center console that was poorly reglassed, that transom seemed pretty solid, the other day I accelerated and two cracks formed in the surface of the new glass... they are hairline cracks, one inch below the top engine mounting bolts, how concerned should I be? Does this mean what i think.....:(

Georgia Boy
07-21-2002, 01:57 PM
well when you say poorly redone just how poorly do you mean? sooner or later you will have to replace it, the small cracks will let water in and that is what kills a transom. how long ago was it redone? as long as the Transom is solid, and the craks are new you will probably be ok, but after it sets a while and the water has a chance to soak it will become week. might want to try to seal the cracks some way with a good sealant. What size motor are you running?

Techno
07-21-2002, 01:58 PM
The transom shouldn't be flexing so the cracks shouldn't be forming. It could be from the laminating job and that is why it cracked.

One simple check is to use the trimmed out OB as a lever and wangle on the end of it. If you see anthing bad on the transom, like it flexing, there is your answer. You might be able to add transom knees or something like that.
It could also be the "new" transom is rotted.
If it was poorly glassed maybe it got wet, not enough support, the glass is so thick and brittle it cracks just by looking at it.

Without knowing why it actually cracked- its a big warning sign.

joshd
07-26-2002, 07:25 PM
So I looked into it some more, apparently the "reglass" didn't bond too well to the old glass. The new stuff was sorta crackin off !! But the good news is that the "old" glass looks pretty sturdy with no flexing when I hang on the trimmed motor....
I might try to seal up the cracks.. will 5200 work well? As for the motor, its a merc 125 25" shaft, I think its a little long so i might be switching it out later with an evinrude 140 short shaft.
Thanks for the reply!