PDA

View Full Version : How to easily create and edit videos for YouTube

pyro
09-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Here's how to put your boating videos online without spending any money:
This assumes you have a newer digital camera or video camera and Windows XP or better.

If you're using a video camera:
Let me get this off my chest first: STOP zooming the hell out of everything. It amplifies small vibrations into intoxicating camera shake. It's a camera, not a telescope. Remember the final output will be on a bigger screen, not a little viewfinder. Leave some negative space around your subject. You'll see more detail in the final video than you can see in the viewfinder, se use zoom in moderation. Don't let the camera exceed its optical zoom capability with "digital zoom", it looks really bad, and you NEVER need to zoom in that far with a hand-held camera. Turn off digital zoom if possible. Your camera's zoom buttons may be progressive, allowing you to pull in or out slightly on the button for a slow zoom action. Try it and see. When you plug in your camera, you can use Windows Movie Maker's "capture" utility to grab clips of video from the camera.

If you're using a digital pocket camera:
Set the video to the highest size, highest frame rate, and best quality. Get a big high-speed memory chip for it. 2 GB will get you around 15-20 minutes. Almost every pocket camera will now shoot 640x480 video at 30 frames per second, which is TV-broadcast quality. When you initially press the shutter button halfway, it will likely fix the autofocus on whatever is in the viewfinder, so aim before you start shooting, otherwise you'll get blurry videos. Many cameras do not allow any optical zooming while shooting video. Don't allow it to use digital zoom, it sucks. Get closer to your subject to frame it better if possible. Boats will tend to look like ants with the wide angle. This is the limitation of the small cameras. Each time you hit the shutter button to stop, it will end the clip and save it as its own file. When you plug in your camera, use the "scanner/camera wizard" to copy the clips onto the computer's desktop. You can import them into video editing software later. Many cameras won't let you import the clips directly from the camera, so use the wizard to copy them to the computer first.

Every Windows XP machine has a program called Windows Movie Maker. It's fun and easy to use. You can import clips into the program, then split, trim and re-assemble clips, add captions or credits, change the sound, add transitions, etc. Try it, it's easy! Don't go crazy with the transitions. Just take a bunch of 2 to 5 second long action video clips and butt them together. Add some ending credits. Save the final output as "2.1mbps video for LAN"

A YouTube account is free. Get one. After making your edited video, you can upload it to youtube. Add some search word "tags" so people can find your video in searches, along with a good title and description.

I hope this helps some of you to share your boating experiences with the rest of the world. :D

-Chad

flabum1017
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
This should be a sticky

Thanks Pyro!

Maple Leaf
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Thats some good info! Thanks Pyro!!:thumbsup:

YELLOWSS
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
your the man chad i will try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03bignasty
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info. buddy.

pyro
09-09-2008, 02:10 AM
To trim a captured clip in Movie Maker, pause the video preview pane while playing a clip, use the "split" button on the preview pane to cut the clip into 2 at the selected point, then delete the "junk" trimmed clip. This way, we don't have to watch each driver pull onto the track and roast his tires. We can just watch exciting RACES, one after another. Nobody wants to watch your whole tape. Cut out the junk, split up and trim your clips before editing When you're done, drag and drop the clips onto the storyline below to arrange them. Then you can add other stuff like transitions, word captions, and music.

Here's a few videos I've done:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hydropyropyropyro
"Poodle tricks" and "snowmobiling" were done with a Canon SD750 pocket camera.
I'll be adding a new video from Hardy Party '08 soon...

SLOW-1
09-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info PYRO.

My camcorder uses mini dvd's, can this technic be used with them as well.

The only video I ever put on the web, I had to download a program to convert it from whatever format my camcorder uses into mpeg. It worked but was a pain in the butt.

king gill
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey pyro,how do i get whats on the little disk saved to my computer or to movie maker???Do i need the actual video camera so i can plug into my computer???Its my bros video camera but I got the disk,put it in and nothing:confused:This is starting to piss me off??Can ya tell I dont know crap about this stuff:confused:

Scream And Fly
09-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Great post Chad, I'm going to copy and stick this in the photo section.

whipper
09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks Pyro! Also Greg for making a sticky, that is very helpful.:thumbsup:

Forkin' Crazy
09-11-2008, 11:35 PM
To trim a captured clip in Movie Maker, pause the video preview pane while playing a clip, use the "split" button on the preview pane to cut the clip into 2 at the selected point, then delete the "junk" trimmed clip.

I'll have to try that. Thanks. I was wondering how to break them up into more segments. As you can see, I needed that on this video...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3Lf2kmUJXA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t3Lf2kmUJXA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I also use a mono pod to keep the video camera from shaking... or try leaning up against something that is steady.

Forkin' Crazy
09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
And I got a question for you. It asked for DVD or best use on a computer... Can you save it as you were going to make a DVD out of it, and then load it on youtube, will it record it in a higher resolution? As you can see, my vid was a bit on the grainy side.

Forkin' Crazy
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks pyro the arse hole. Make a empty post and follow up with nothing. Typical. You should teach school.

pyro
09-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Thanks pyro the arse hole. Make a empty post and follow up with nothing. Typical. You should teach school.

Thanks for the kind comment. Much like teachers, I don't get paid sh**, I bust my ass to try to help, and then people bitch about the part I missed in a duplicate thread. I work a regular job 50 hours a week, and sometimes I forget to check all of the posts while I'm busy sitting at the computer having no life, and obsessing over boats and other people's videos instead of getting out there and making something better of myself. How inefficient of me.

S O R R Y !!!

Addditionally, Greg copied, not moved, this thread from General Discussion to help more people out as I had originally intended. Why don't you thank him and call him an arse hole too for trying to be helpful. I'm sure he's appreciate it as much as I did.

I usually use the "save video..." option called "video for local playback 2.1 Mbps", this saves the video in 640x480 format at 30 frames per second (the format the pocket camera shoots anyway) with minimal quality-killing compression. Videos of this size will usually have a "watch in high quality" link below the player box once they're uploaded into YouTube. I'm not sure of YouTube supports larger resolutions.

Movie Maker has a couple of settings that support up to 720 x 480 at 30 frames/ 30 mbps, try it when you save the finalized video and see if YouTube plays the uplloaded video back in the same size with the player in "high quality" mode, in full-screen view. Good luck.

Forkin' Crazy
09-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks Chad. :D As far as the belittling comments, sorry but it got your attention. ;)