PDA

View Full Version : turning fins-are they reqd????

mrcrsr
08-31-2008, 01:56 PM
i have a 40" v bottom boat that i installed a pad on-should i install the turning fins or are they not req'd? i don't want to lose speed, it is running an aft surface drive/offset rudder assy

1BadAction
08-31-2008, 03:28 PM
run it once without them, if it asses out in a turn easily, then put them on. Personally I think way too many of these V-bottoms have them for the bling factor and really don't need them.

VectorPat
08-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I dont think there is a need for one on a v bottom. Outrigger boats need them and some tunnels. Just run it without it and see what happens.

Tom Foley
09-01-2008, 05:59 AM
run it once without them, if it asses out in a turn easily, then put them on. Personally I think way too many of these V-bottoms have them for the bling factor and really don't need them.

Most of the time they do need them if they are running fast . The hull will prop walk and spin out in a turn in most surface drive Monos if you don't put a right side fin on for racing , or both sides for fun running .

mrcrsr
09-01-2008, 07:33 AM
i have the rudder set up on the right side, should it be moved to the left??

nitrolouie
09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Keep the rudder on thr right side and like Foley said if it's fast put a turn fin on the right side.

Stealth Assassin
09-14-2008, 04:37 PM
The ride pad could make the turning worse than the regular v. Is more lift needed on your v hull? Do you have a pic?

:cheers:
Derrick

mrcrsr
09-22-2008, 11:00 AM
i built the pad to get rid of some drag on the bottom, still playing w/ tuning it, but for now i've been busy tuning a full scale hydrostream:D