PDA

View Full Version : SHARKEY, BULLET 130

Sharkey-Images
06-13-2001, 10:29 PM
Made a great splash over the weekend. I finally put this 13 footer,w/a modified SST60 engine in the water Sunday. I'm preparing for a 75 mile trip in the NY Poker Run next weekend with National Powerboat Association. With a minor setback (Blew the gearcase, but fortunately saved the modified drive shaft!) I simply was pushed to the last minute dialing in precedure. I set the boat up w/a CMC hyrdraulic jack, a 22 gallon ATL FUEL CELL, HOT FOOT THROTTLE, K&S SHIFTER(MODIFIED to keep from coming out of gear),and VDO GUAGES. In preparing for NY, I wanted my worst case scenario. I filled the fuel cell to the top. Having all that weight in the boat made it a real hassle getting on plane which was to be expected. The boat handled real well in the rough at 45 to 55 mph while I was getting back into the swing of things. It's been 10 years since the last time I was in one of these boats. But like they say, it's like riding a bicycle, you never forget how to ride. Once I was confident that all was going to stay together this time, I got out of the rough and headed for the flats. Now with a good 20 mph head wind in my face and a consistent 6" chop it was time at last to see what this boat would do. The prop I was running was a 3 blade cleaver, 11 3/4x ??? Don't know. Top rpm was only 61-6200@ 67 mph. FILLED WITH 20+GALLONS OF FUEL. I just couldn't believe it. I then tried another prop, a 3 blade cleaver 12"x22. I ran the engine all the way up on the jack plate, had 6500-6600 rpm but was only going 61mph. I started to think at that point she had way too much slip and proceeded to lower the jack plate and as the motor was going down the speed just kept increasing 62,64,66,and topped out at 68mph@ 6500 rpm with 18+ gallons of fuel. My goal is to break 70-72mph and I feel now that is a very good possibility. Get the weight out of the fuel cell and start dialing in the boat. I was under the impression that these 60's put out 90hp but just recently was told no, more like 100hp. To put a one hundred hp on a 13' Vee-Bottom that probably weighs in less than 300lbs(boat only)it's got to fly!!!! And it does. It feels great to be back in the cockpit.

Sharkey-Images
07-29-2001, 02:59 AM
For pics and info go to; https://www.timsharkey.com/bullet130bysharkey