PDA

View Full Version : ae21 paint

ae21
08-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi after years of fun with my hydro i decided to give it a new life..as adrenaline is its name it needed to look that it was once again!! enjoy! almost done my 2 year project..new floors new paint new transom and a new life with paint and interior w/shileld guages!!

ae21
08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
here are the pics needed

ae21
08-25-2008, 12:39 PM
trailer is next with 20 inch wheels and painted to match..also engine cowl is to match as well....$15 grand later and rising!

ae21
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
heres some more ..ill get more at as i get em!

mragu
08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
now thats a paint job!!!!!

bigboy
08-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Looks great....

I wonder what you did to the floor and transom. Which materials did you use?

And have you lightened it up or not?

king gill
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Man that ia really cool:thumbsup:One of a kind for sure!!!:thumbsup:

RONNIE
08-25-2008, 07:22 PM
very cool!!

ae21
08-25-2008, 08:46 PM
we used balsa and also strengthend the rear stringers..these boats were very weal in the back end..i also gelld the bottom and painted the deck and sides with base clear candy apple paint..first the boat was painted silver gold then the transparant candy paint from house of colours!! very very expensive paint !! $400 a quart..i went thru 6 quarts plus the other and three gallons of clear..wet sanded ..n cleared three times for a total of twelve coats of clear coat..not one rough edge..the boats finish is unbelievable and pics do NOT give its depth justice at all!!
..there are also ghosted in skulls and flames everywhere that you can not see until the sun is on it..

thall
08-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow!!!!!! Can only imagine the work that went into that paint job. Keep the pictures coming.

Denny <><
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Now thats something to be proud of. Nice work. What's it gonna get rigged with?

ae21
08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
the original engine...its a 225 yamaha..the boat is bullet proof with that set up..love a 300 merc ..lol..but thats the next boat!!

Denny <><
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
ya know i know what ya mean. For me it's always the next boat.
The need for speed never ends!!!

ae21
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
this was my last project and my baby still!! Although the stream was first!:)

ae21
08-25-2008, 09:16 PM
heres a better view of the depth plus you can see two more skulls on the transom that are not hidden in the colour.

Denny <><
08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I really like wellcrafts Scarob Hull. What size big boyz are pushin that.
Neighbor had a 22 Scarob, ended up with a 502 mag with plenty of extras. 80 gps
with more to go. Very stable, still caused white knuckles.

Denny <><
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Supper cool! you guys are artists.

ae21
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
thanks...if i had to put a guestamation on how long or what this would cost if i had to pay for it..omg..i would say almost 600 hrs went into this boat from start to where it is now...and im still not anywhere near being done spending time or money on it..still have to paint the trailer and mod it up for the wheels..going to install chrome checker as well on certain points of the trailer with all new led lights..I bought alll sony explode speakers and subs to match the paint as well( they are coloured red and silver)...the interior is also custom to match paint same as my scarab was...its going to be a sweet ride!! Oh ya the guages and wheel are also white faced and carbon livorsi and the steering wheel will be a candy red livorsi as well same as the purple on in my scarab.

venus79
10-23-2008, 01:39 PM
kinda late finding this thread but looks awesome ae21

twogees
10-23-2008, 06:53 PM
any updates on this stream?

ae21
10-23-2008, 09:09 PM
yes there will be some more updates once i get it back from the upholsterer...having new carpet and seats recovered to match..i can try and post pics this weekend ?

Oz Dude
12-09-2008, 10:34 PM
ae - well done on the upgrade!!

That's why they're called BOATs (Bring Out Another Thousand) but worth it in the end:)

Just went through the upgrade of the trailer - you will love the LED's and checker plate is just cool on trailers.

Mine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/OzDude/Rage/DSCF3179.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/OzDude/Rage/DSCF1703.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/OzDude/Rage/DSCF1706.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/OzDude/Rage/DSCF3181.jpg

Oz

twogees
12-10-2008, 12:52 AM
thats badass never seen somthing like that . cool as F*k- love the 80's style.

twogees
03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
yes there will be some more updates once i get it back from the upholsterer...having new carpet and seats recovered to match..i can try and post pics this weekend ?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ae21
03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Well guys.... sorry for the delay..but..i am in disbelief as to what has happened to my ae21..I had a contractor come and shovel my roof off while i was away and they shoveled ALL of it onto my boat..it CRUSHED the winshield and the skeg was driven into the concrete along with completely damaging that paint job and smashing two guages and bending the steering wheel..ripped the new back seat,drowned my stereo and subs and ripped the BRAND NEW all weather custom made mooring cover when i took the stereo out the carpet came with it as well.....unreal.....sooooooo..it may be a while before you see any updates anytime soon!!! :(:mad:

Sad part is..the painter is now out of business and it is a candy paint job..i cant touch it up w/out being a horrible contrast!!
Plus there was 12 coats of clear on the boat above ...:(

king gill
03-19-2009, 11:17 AM
OH my if that dont suck......That would really piss a guy off...I cant believe they did that:confused::cheers:

bigboy
03-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Well guys.... sorry for the delay..but..i am in disbelief as to what has happened to my ae21..I had a contractor come and shovel my roof off while i was away and they shoveled ALL of it onto my boat..it CRUSHED the winshield and the skeg was driven into the concrete along with completely damaging that paint job and smashing two guages and bending the steering wheel..ripped the new back seat,drowned my stereo and subs and ripped the BRAND NEW all weather custom made mooring cover when i took the stereo out the carpet came with it as well.....unreal.....sooooooo..it may be a while before you see any updates anytime soon!!! :(:mad:

Sad part is..the painter is now out of business and it is a candy paint job..i cant touch it up w/out being a horrible contrast!!
Plus there was 12 coats of clear on the boat above ...:(

That is such a shame!!! :(:(:(

screwedbayou
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
did the guy own up and offer to take care of bill? how did you not go off on his dumb ass. more proof that the gene pool does need to be cleaned up. sorry for your loss.
from stripes: " and i dont like nobody touchin my stuff,......any of u guys touch my stuff........and i kill ya" lol how did u refrain

bigboy
03-19-2009, 03:25 PM
did the guy own up and offer to take care of bill? how did you not go off on his dumb ass. more proof that the gene pool does need to be cleaned up. sorry for your loss.
from stripes: " and i dont like nobody touchin my stuff,......any of u guys touch my stuff........and i kill ya" lol how did u refrain

I hope he has an insurance for this...

ae21
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
This happened over a mos ago and i still have not seen a adjuster and my home insurance says they do not cover custom work..the fellas said they thought it was a fishing boat..:@
I am sure that i will not be able to recoup my losses out of this mess..The subs were submerged the trim pump is leaking from the pressure of the engine on the skeg in the cement slab and hyrdraulic fluid is every where..im done being mad... i just want to be reimbursed..
The paint job was almost the death of me getting done alone ...not to mention now having to do it over again..uggghhhh!!

Oz Dude
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
ae - I don't know much about your insurance laws but the contractor has a duty of care to you as well as having to carry his own insurance for damage sustained to property through negligence... It shouldn't matter if it was a performance boat, a fishing boat, or a damn remote control boat, they broke it, they fix it!

Don't get mad - get even - and get what's owed to you.

As for your paint work, candy is repairable but you need to know everything about when it was painted. Admittedly, all the clear over the top will make that more difficult. Perhaps you could revisit te paint scheme and look to see how you could use a highlight colour or some graphics to cover up the damaged areas.

Good luck mate.

Oz

ae21
03-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks..

I have been looking into how i could repair it but .... the boat was painted gold then three shades of silver and then taped off then painted again the candy and then wet sanded over and over again inbetween 12 coats of clear..the damage is quite deep in spots..so i am looking at all alternatives to salvage the work...I have contacted the orig painter and he doesnt want to attempt the repair at all..:( Now i have to find someone with knowledge who can or completely start over again..as you can see below the deck is also painted as well...the graphics under the candy that are not seen in the pics are in the gold beneath the silver and transparant candy....Its spectacular in the sun because they pop!! the gold under is a flame pattern with more skulls....

I am awaiting the adjusters arrival on monday..in the mean time i have been stripping the boat of everything..the stereo is done and so is the subs as they were frozen in ice and water...I am sick to my stomach everytime someone brings it up to be honest...its just heart wrenching three and a half years of HARD work ...by the way the floors are now also in a half moon shape as well....im hoping they arent runined as well from the ice??

ae21
03-19-2009, 08:41 PM
here are some of the process after the gold and silver paints have been applied...first base color was white ......

Oz Dude
03-19-2009, 08:43 PM
I really feel for you ae. I know what it's like to put so much time and effort into your boat, only to have some moron screw it up.

I have been there a couple of times with mine so far (apparently getting totally gutted once by unscrupulous operators wasn't enough for me - I had to take a second shot at getting it in the head) and it really just makes your stomach turn.

Get everything stripped out, do what you have to do with the adjuster, and walk away from it for a week. Let your mind settle and then focus on the new job at hand and that is - how do I make my boat rise to the top again. On the bright side, you've now gone through the process once so you understand what's going to be involved. That in itself will help make the task less arduous.

Just remember - where would we be if the inventors of WD 40 gave up at attempt 39...

Keep Punchin!
Oz

ae21
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
you can see the effect the gold has when the flash of the camera goes off...

ae21
03-19-2009, 08:49 PM
haha i like that statement..lol..

samari
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
That is one of the top 5 best pain jobs I've seen on anything.

Sorry for your loss, but as mentioned it can be fixed.

ae21
03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks so much everyone..i appreciate it!!

I just wish there was someone else that could take it apart aside from myself...its killing me to do this ...pulling up brand new carpet and ripping the interior back out ..man..just flipn shoot me...lol

Oz Dude
03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
ae - glad you liked the analogy and also good that you smiled. That's all you can do now, clear your head, smile in the work that you already accomplished, and now make it better.

When I had the bottom of my boat repainted, they managed to scratch it in another area, leave overspray down both sides (which I found when doing final rigging and spent 12 hours with a razor blade on each side), created a 4 runs - 2 from where they clearcoated the deck along the edge, and 2 at the transom that also had to be repainted, AND left the boat outside in a rain storm, uncovered, with my brand new carpet in it...

That carpet ended up getting soaked not once, not twice, but 3 times at different workshops before I got the boat back to fit the seats up. I don't know how hard it is for contractors to understand that the cover on it at the time wasn't waterproof and the boat was to be stored undercover. They just shrug their shoulders and walk away. The punchline though was that after I got the boat back and wet vac'd the carpet, and then spent hours drying it, THE very first race we entered in came complete with rain all day and the boat ended up saturated. Like I said dude, all you can do is smile...

samari - nice slip up but definitely true in this case "top 5 best pain jobs..."

Oz

samari
03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
oops!

baja200merk
03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
you cant take them to court?

what if you were towing it when it happened, delete this thread go down an empty road with the bow eye unclipped and get ur money back for the paint :D

king gill
03-19-2009, 10:05 PM
you cant take them to court?

what if you were towing it when it happened, delete this thread go down an empty road with the bow eye unclipped and get ur money back for the paint :D

Hahahaha...The american way right there:DThats some good thinkin:cheers:

Oz Dude
03-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Hahahaha...The american way right there:DThats some good thinkin:cheers:

As opposed to the Aussie way - that's where you take a sledge hammer to it and say it was a hail storm :cool:

Oz

ae21
03-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks oz...your boat is wicked by the way!! I guess we will wait it out and see..i have decided to walk away for a while and let my jets cool a bit about all this ...so i guess you will see me open this thread again when i me ready..

Oz Dude
03-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey ae - thanks for the props on my boat. I've put a lot of hard work into it twice now and like you, lived and breathed every minute of it. When things don't go how you want or others don't treat your stuff with the same respect you require, it gets very very hard not to go postal on em.

I can remember when I first bought mine. I was so excited, I picked it up, took it straight to the lake and put it in to try it out. Damn thing wouldn't come off the trailer. I had it almost completely underwater and stood there scratching my head. Then it dawned on me - the tie down straps were still on the back :o I waded in (I had it in a looong way) and was up to my chest trying to get the stupid things off.

I could have pulled the boat out and done it but I figured I'd already made a big enough idiot of myself, I didn't need to look like a bigger one by showing those that had gathered what I was doing other than "secret boat stuff" :D

When it came time to start work on it though, wow there were some big disappointments along the way. Old sponsors names had been "knifed" into the gelcoat on the deck, damage that wasn't disclosed by the previous owner (turned out the boat had once been flipped by the first owner, and the guy I bought it off tore half the dash out when the boat turned left at 80mph and he didn't...), and many things that were literally held together by a screw and some 100mph tape...

A 6 week rebuild turned into 6 months and the trimmer (friends of mine) who did the interior from scratch turned to me one night, put his hand on my shoulder, and said "That's enough. Go start enjoying it" and that's a very pertinent piece of wisdom I still carry in my head with me when things aren't going right, especially during the crap I've been through with it over the past 2 years.

It's also the one message I'd like you to carry with you once you decide to pick up the tools again and go back to your boat. Things may not always go as we plan, and sometimes it seems that all of out hardwork is completely ignored and spat on by others who just don't give a rats ass, but at the end of the day we can only do what is possible with the tools we are presented, so make the most of what you have, salvage what you can, rebuild what you can't, and even if it's not perfect - go start enjoying it!

Keep us updated :cheers:

Oz :thumbsup: