PDA

View Full Version : Rubber & Vinyl care. Great read

inspectorlance
08-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I was doing some research on why not to use Armor All on vinyl and rubber. Found this great article. Great info, but at the end I notice that the aurthor sell products.

I looked up the MSDS on ArmorAll, and its mostly Silicone

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/carcare/all_dont_use_silicone.html

benski
08-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I first discovered the bad attributes of Armor-all in High School, probably about the time it was released on the market. Cracked dashes, seat covers etc. For the same reason, I don't like to use silicone polish or wax on my boats or cars. IMHO, the paint needs to breathe, and that's why I use carnauba-based products, such as those from Griot's garage.:D Not trying to plug Griot's at the expense of other product lines, it's just what I like to use. But I certainly agree about products with silicone in them..!

Denny <><
08-27-2008, 05:50 AM
That was a good site, very informative. I have used zymol cleaner polish forever although
i was glad to read they started making a cheaper junk product, i'll steer clear of it seeing
as i'm a sucker for a good wax product.
HOW DO I GET A PITURE NEXT TO MY NAME!!!

pyro
08-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Neat reading, but everything mentioned on that site used words like "may", "possibly", "could", and/or "might." There's a lot of techy terms being thrown around, and I'm not sure if all of what's mentioned on that site is true.

It mentions 303 protectant, which is just another silicone emulsion, isn't it?

oldstv
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
It seemed that he didn't like the use of silicone based products on vinyl and rubber. He said " silicone may act as a magnifying glass intensifying the uv degradation" I looked up one of the products he seemed to like " Vinylex" and they claim that out of the five patents that govern silicone protectants Vinylex owns has two of them.