PDA

View Full Version : Remove and replace cowling decals

Powerplay25
07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
What is the best process used to remove and replace decals from a cowling?

What product is best to remove the sticker residue without harming the plastic?

rude power
07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I use W.D. 40 on a shop rag ,an rub,it has worked in most cases.

benski
08-05-2008, 12:33 AM
3M makes a spray on adhesive remover that I've found works great on auto finishes, but is not harmful to the finish, and Griot's garage also sells an adhesive remover that is safe for painted surfaces.

whipper
03-27-2009, 06:04 AM
All of the above. Theres some stuff called go-Gone that I used to get the little that never just peeled off. You might me surprized how one piece they come off once you get started. Give em a shot of wd with a little heat and they just might come right off.

josh7_78
04-01-2009, 05:24 PM
All of the above. Theres some stuff called go-Gone that I used to get the little that never just peeled off. You might me surprized how one piece they come off once you get started. Give em a shot of wd with a little heat and they just might come right off.

I've had good luck with Go-Gone. It doesn't harm paint and gets stuff off pretty well. Try a heat gun to heat up the adhesive so it doesn't stick to whatever it is your peeling it off of.

Powerplay25
04-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I ended up using WD40. It worked great.

Jimboat
04-02-2009, 03:13 PM
i just re-did my cowling, and had good luck using "goo-be-gone" on decals. some of the really 'baked-on' decals need to be scraped off, which is time consuming but not too hard - need to be careful not to scratch the fibreglass.