PDA

View Full Version : More lay-off's....

flabum1017
07-03-2008, 04:59 PM
You think Merc is laying off a lot of people....AA is planning up to 7,000. More and more people losing their jobs...... the consumer base is shrinking.......

http://cbs4.com/local/airline.american.cutback.2.762739.html

American Airlines To Cut Thousands Of Jobs In 2008

Miami's Largest Air Carrier And Major Employer Warned Emploees Of Plans

Effect On South Florida Not Yet Known

900 Flight Attendants Could Lose Jobs By August 31st.

MIAMI (CBS4) ― American Airlines has warned the union representing its flight attendants that as many as 900 low-seniority flight attendants could lose their jobs by the end of August, the first of as many as 7 thousand jobs Miami's largest air carrier is expected to eliminate by the end of the year.

The letter, sent under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, is required to let workers know of layoffs at least 60 days in advance. It is part of a program the airline started Wednesday to tell employees from virtually all areas of its operations that the company plans to shed up to 8 percent of it's workforce, or about 7 thousand jobs, by the end of 2008.

The job cuts appear to be the largest planned for any US Carrier, and according to filings made with the US Government, could cost the airline 1.3 billion dollars when combined with the cost of writing off older, less efficient planes being removed from service.

In an e-mail to employees, American's senior vice president for human resources Jeffrey Brundage said the job reductions to correspond to plans to cut worldwide flights by 8 percent.

"While we are still working through the specific impact to employee work groups, both voluntary and involuntary, employee reductions commensurate with the overall system capacity reductions are expected company-wide as we reduce the size of the airline," Brundage said in the e-mail.

"It's sad to see the corporate greed, too," said flight attendant Jean Noble. "That's what really upsets me. They don't care if they destroy this company, the company executives who take millions and millions of dollars in bonuses, don't care about our company."

Some seemed resigned though, to an economic reality that extends beyond American Airlines. Glen Davenport is one of them—he's a ramp worker for American.

"This is gonna be worldwide situation," said Davenport. "You gotta look at the big picture."

Davenport says it's not just American making these type of cuts, but other airlines as well.

American has about 85,500 employees, and in addition to being Miami's largest air carrier it is also one of the area's largest private employers.

In addition to flight attendants, pilots, managers, and personnel in other areas could see cuts which given the size of American's operations in Miami would be expected to be reflected here. However, the airline has not released specific information about how South Florida jobs would be affected.

American said it is working to get people to take buyouts and other voluntary programs before resorting to layoffs.

American issued the following statement, saying: "These are difficult but necessary changes, given the unprecedented challenges we face…skyrocketing fuel prices and a worsening U.S. economy."

Slammed by skyrocketing jet fuel prices and reduced air travel, American is just one of the US carriers planning cutbacks as part of a cost cutting strategy. Airlines are also raising fares, imposing bag surcharges, and reducing services like free snacks and drinks on many flights.

"These are difficult but necessary changes given the unprecedented challenges we face with overcapacity in the industry, skyrocketing fuel prices, and a worsening U.S. economy," said Tim Wagner, an American spokesman.

sho305
07-03-2008, 08:37 PM
That is ok, the companies here can just import less from China until it comes back. Not sure where it will come back from though, going to take a long time for people to pay off those credit cards full of gas station bills and I don't see any raises in sight...if you still have a job. MI is way over 8% unenjoyment, we are the leaders:thumbsup: Besides, if people didn't like it our fearless leaders would change it right....:nonod: Check out GM stock.

INXS
07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Star Bucks is closing over 300 stores, it's effecting the yuppies too!

INXS
07-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I guees we have what they claimed, A New Day In Washington!

INXS
07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Here's Why They, The US, Want The Exit Tax!

"PANAMA CITY, June 24 - Panama's economic activity rose 9.48 percent in April over the year-ago period, the government said on Tuesday, rebounding from a near five-year low posted in March.

Growth in the construction, mining, hotel and restaurant sectors were the strongest performers, according to the Comptroller General's office.

Analysts said the figures for March, which on Tuesday were revised upward to 2.2 percent growth from 1.9 percent reported last month, may have been artificially low because of the timing of Easter holidays this year compared to a year earlier.

Analysts said they would wait for May's figures to be released to judge the full impact that global conditions were having on the Panamanian economy.

"May will be much more important," Alejandro Cuadrado, an analyst with Merrill Lynch, told Reuters.

Although the rising prices of fuel and food continue to act as a brake on the economy -- which grew at 11 percent last year and is expected to grow around 8 percent this year -- observers are largely positive about the economic outlook.

"Even with the sharp slowdown in growth in March, first-quarter year-on-year growth reached close to 7 percent and is still quite strong relative to regional growth rates," Theresa Paiz, an analyst with Fitch Ratings told Reuters.

With 12-month inflation running at 8.8 percent investors are watching how Panama, which uses the dollar as its national currency, can bring higher living costs under control.

Last week the government announced a series of measures to cap inflation, including subsidies on fuel and electricity for most consumers. "We will be closely monitoring fiscal trends and the government's policy response in general to contain inflationary pressures," said Paiz."

ssent
07-03-2008, 10:52 PM
The economy lost 62,000 jobs in June, according to Forbes.com website. That was the sixth straight month the U.S. lost jobs. The economy has lost 438,000 jobs in the first half of this year, and June was the first time since May 2002 that the economy lost jobs for six straight months.

We're not in a recession yet the government says. The economy is doing just fine. My 401 is chugging along losing money everyday. Gas is cheap, groceries are cheap I'm just not spending my money wisely, that's it. :icon_bs:

MIJI
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Remember to thank congress this fall.

INXS
07-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Factor in that things are going well elsewhere, even in the US. Most of the trouble comes from the "Blue States". True it's effecting the whole country to some degree we must keep in mind that it's the tax & spend feel good states that loaned out money to those who couldn't afford homes. They also are the "Don't Drill Here" "No Nukes" folks. I think it may be too late for the US and that's why they want to tax your Butts as you leave to retire in tax shelter countries. BTW, they now, Panama-Costa Rico, have health care as good as ours at about 20-25% of the costs.

INXS
07-04-2008, 12:33 AM
The economy lost 62,000 jobs in June, according to Forbes.com website. That was the sixth straight month the U.S. lost jobs. The economy has lost 438,000 jobs in the first half of this year, and June was the first time since May 2002 that the economy lost jobs for six straight months.

We're not in a recession yet the government says. The economy is doing just fine. My 401 is chugging along losing money everyday. Gas is cheap, groceries are cheap I'm just not spending my money wisely, that's it. :icon_bs:

Congress just hit a all time low appr. rating of 13%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I think people are blaming them cat!:leaving:

Steve 1
07-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Remember to thank congress this fall.

Amen to that!

INXS
07-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Hey didn't congress put a lot of time, and our $, into roids in baseball!!!!!!
I think they are really proud of the job they did!

flabum1017
07-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, funny thing is that the private sector has cut half a million jobs so far and in government....... all the top dawgs are getting raises all over the place. It's bad enough the government is taxing us more, but only the top dawgs get rases but not the real workers.

INXS
07-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Private sector lost 60K jobs but the gov. hired 30K workers!

mirage243
07-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey didn't congress put a lot of time, and our $, into roids in baseball!!!!!!
I think they are really proud of the job they did!

I think if a guy wants to take enough steroids to grow three balls, he ought to be able to.

flabum1017
07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I think if a guy wants to take enough steroids to grow three balls, he ought to be able to.

True, but that guy should also not be heralded as a better athelete than someone who isn't taking any performance enhancing drugs.

This was not for congress to mess with, it should have been left to the sports commissions.

Steve 1
07-05-2008, 01:00 PM
True, but that guy should also not be heralded as a better athelete than someone who isn't taking any performance enhancing drugs.

This was not for congress to mess with, it should have been left to the sports commissions.

Congress can be blamed for everythimg starting with the Oil. What a bunch of Communist Cretins we have in there.

flabum1017
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Congress can be blamed for everythimg starting with the Oil. What a bunch of Communist Cretins we have in there.

Time for a Congressional re-fit

flabum1017
07-05-2008, 01:09 PM
BTW Steve.....what you doing in on such a beautiful day? :mad:

Steve 1
07-05-2008, 01:36 PM
BTW Steve.....what you doing in on such a beautiful day? :mad:

Got to run to Miami and check some factory space. The fun never ends.

flabum1017
07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Got to run to Miami and check some factory space. The fun never ends.

How big are you looking for? a friend of mine has a warehouse for sale at US27 and the Turmpike.

Steve 1
07-05-2008, 05:51 PM
How big are you looking for? a friend of mine has a warehouse for sale at US27 and the Turmpike.

This building was a glass shop and has the permitting in place.