PDA

View Full Version : Digital Video experience.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
I would like to get a digital video camera, but I am an idiot. I know I want ease of sharing videos, posting to youtube, e-mail and maybe burning DVD's. So I don't know if I need DV tape or mini DVD or card type storage ie, SD, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, etc. I would like the ability to shoot rather short videos and some still shots as well. The fewer settings and what not I have to change for conditions the better. I do have a decent computer with DVD burner, card slots, many usb's, Media Center, photo editing, HP Director etc. I don't want to have to buy 12 accessories to shoot and share video. I also want to change storage devices as little as possible. For example, I don't really want to habve to shoot a video, come home and down load it into a another program, burn to a disc, then save in a diferent program etc. Maybe you don't have to do that any way, but the point is, I want to record in the most versatile and commonly used format. Easy and low maintenace is the idea. I can sacrafice some cinema quality for easy. Thanks in advance for any help!

1BadAction
06-26-2008, 08:46 AM
a camera with a firewire port and a firewire slot in the computer. Basic windows install should have windows movie maker, which is the only other thing you need. I use a mini DV camera, seems to work pretty well.

windows movie maker rips it off the camera, then you can divide the video and save it as whatever format you like. mpg, wmv, etc.

pyro
06-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Most of today's $150 pocket-sized digital cameras are capable of shooting 640x480 at 30 frames per second, which is about the same resolution as pre-HD broadcast TV. Plenty good enough for posting to YouTube and such. You're only limited by the size of your memory card. If you're doing a lot of video stuff, a dedicated video camera has much better user control.

If I buy another DV cam, I'll get something that shoots in HD quality.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 10:02 AM
a camera with a firewire port and a firewire slot in the computer. .

Ok, what does a fire wire slot look like. I've got a pavilion a1130n.

If you're doing a lot of video stuff, a dedicated video camera has much better user control.

Not a lot, but I definitely want to shoot some decent quality home movies. You know, kids, grand kids and what not.

1BadAction
06-26-2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.initini.com/glenview/img/firewire-diagram.jpg

and it'll be labled with that Y type symbol, or 1394.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Cool, I've got one labeled with that symbol that says 1394.

pyro
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
1394 is the code for industry-standard Firewire.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
OK, Digital Video Tape or 3"DVD, also, how important for dual media ie, DVD/SD slot, and how important is MPEG2 format for camera. I'm thinking of the Canon DC220 or ZR950.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
1394 is the code for industry-standard Firewire.

Yeah, I just learned that it costs them to say "Firewire" since it was an Apple inspired technology.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Any cons to the card type storage camcorders? They seem easy and share friendly.

1BadAction
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
if you are seriously considering the direct to dvd cameras, might want to check google about their read/write time. I have heard from multiple places that they suck.

Quinten
06-26-2008, 07:58 PM
if you are seriously considering the direct to dvd cameras, might want to check google about their read/write time. I have heard from multiple places that they suck.

During my search today, it appears that the DVD cameras are no good. Low capacity and finalized after burned, editing very difficult from what I am told. I'm leaning toward the card type storage cameras. Two I am looking at are Canon FS100, and Panasonic SDR H18, oh and also the JVC GZMS100US.

How long does it take to down load 30 minutes of video from your DV camera to your PC?

1BadAction
06-26-2008, 08:27 PM
honestly I cant remember. must not have been too slow because I cant remember sitting in front of the computer and yelling at it to hurry the hell up. lol.

Quinten
06-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, so I bought a Canon FS100. We'll see how it goes, thanks for the help guys!