PDA

View Full Version : question bout stereo system

liftedch3vyguy
05-19-2008, 11:11 AM
I have an 88 200 outboard on my boat and am looking to install a system with 6 to 8 speakers, and one or two subwoofers.Ive never owned an outboard and wanted to find out if my stater would be able to keep up with all that. any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

aaronmt73
05-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I would be running 2 batteries for sure on that.

liftedch3vyguy
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
im planning on running dual marine optimas, i guess my real question is if my motor will be able to charge those two batteries without any problems??

1BadAction
05-20-2008, 11:09 AM
if its a 40 amp charging system, yes.

150aintenuff
05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
If its a Stock 1988 Clamshell motor you have 16A system... no 40A's were ever placed under the clamshell cowl due to clearence issues

GP-1
05-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Even with a 40 amp charging system, you're really pushing your luck with a multiple amp system. If you listen to it for a few minutes here and there you'll be OK.. If you plan on blasting it all day, you're gonna have dead batteries.

150aintenuff
05-26-2008, 08:36 PM
i had originally posted a solution to the multi amp big stereo small charging system issue on here but was called a liar and wrong and full of BS by another member so the post got deleted... basically it CAN work... you just have to have dual batteries, and a multi selector switch and then set the engine to start from 1, and stereo to draw from other and have the engine charge both on way back, then when back at the trailer you recharge both batteries on a battery charger to top off.. ill probably be called a lair again but it does work and have installed many 500ish watt stereos set up that way on 16A systems.. the key is moderation and planning.

GP-1
05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll still stand by my opinion that it isn't a good idea. Yes, I understand what you're saying, but multiple amps will kill one battery very quicky. If all you're looking for is to listen to music for 30-45 mins and then you can recharge the stereo battery from another source at the end of the day.... Well, I suppose. If it works for you, that's cool, but I think it's more work than most people would be willing to go through for tunes.

150aintenuff
05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
I'll still stand by my opinion that it isn't a good idea. Yes, I understand what you're saying, but multiple amps will kill one battery very quicky. If all you're looking for is to listen to music for 30-45 mins and then you can recharge the stereo battery from another source at the end of the day.... Well, I suppose. If it works for you, that's cool, but I think it's more work than most people would be willing to go through for tunes.

a GRP 31 deep cycle with a Capacitor or line voltage output stabilizer will run 500W worth of amps and speakers at a moderate volume for about 6 hours or really hard for about 2.5 hrs...

swimbaitkid
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Try using the new class D amp. They more efficient they take less battery run and battery last 2 times long.Pioneer Premier PRS-D4100F is a AWESOME AMP!!!!!!!! This thing is pushing all my speaker in my ALLISON XB 2003. With 4 memphis audio 6 1/2 marine speaker and 10 memphis subwoofer. Don't be fooled by the size it rock hard and super clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try this place they have good price on amp and speaker:http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/

Ron 1(FASTALLI)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=175973231

150aintenuff
05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
still need a good line voltage equilizer/stabilizer since a battery alone has 12.6-13.2 v at full charge and stereos are designed to be fed with closer to 13.8 to keep the power clean, true and have your electronics live properly

Thor200587
06-17-2008, 12:49 PM
i had originally posted a solution to the multi amp big stereo small charging system issue on here but was called a liar and wrong and full of BS by another member so the post got deleted... basically it CAN work... you just have to have dual batteries, and a multi selector switch and then set the engine to start from 1, and stereo to draw from other and have the engine charge both on way back, then when back at the trailer you recharge both batteries on a battery charger to top off.. ill probably be called a lair again but it does work and have installed many 500ish watt stereos set up that way on 16A systems.. the key is moderation and planning.

Thats the way I would do it. Play the stereo till your stereo battery dies then don't listen to it anymore till it has a chance to charge.

sho305
07-31-2008, 09:25 PM
We did that in offshore boats all the time (19-28'). We ran it on one battery and played the tunes until it died, then switch to the other and start it up to charge them up. Seems like with an OB you could just bungee a jumper box in there they don't weigh that much, should start an OB easy after the amps shut down from low voltage. If you have a tiny charging system it will take a long time to charge it back up. Of course more efficient drivers and smaller amps will help conserve depending on what you need. Ported subs are more efficient. We ran mostly IB subs but had car engines to charge the batteries too, but now some people really go nuts with boat systems and run huge amps.

I would certainly go with a class D for subs and if you can class D for all of it. We ran largest speakers we could, 6x9 or 7x10 they worked the best for highs. I remember one boat with two pair of 7x10 and no subs, it sounded pretty good for no subs. Chicks were dancing, man that was fun.

Also you can use one of the isolators like in the other thread here instead of a switch.

Propster
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
My boat came with a big stereo in it. I am running 2 2.5's with 16 amp charging systems. With those little charging systems, seems like it would be a bad idea to run a big stereo.

I have 3 500 watt amps, 4 12" subs, 4 6x9's and 4 6" round coax speakers. I am running 3 batterys and run the amps off of one battery and the head unit off of the starting batterys. I can get a couple hours easy out of it, after that, I am probably on borrowed time. It might help that they are carb motors with electric fuel pumps, so they don't suck as much power as the EFI motors.

bigbore
08-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Batt 2 when sittin at sandbar,1 4 starting,n both when running 4 charge.:cool: