PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #91 marine power cut

illMATTic
05-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I just picked up a bottle of this stuff and am not too impressed at this point. it is supposed to be their heaviest cutting compound. BUT, it does not even come close to cutting the oxidation i have.

i don't think my gel is too bad. i can cut through the oxidation with 1500 paper in a couple passes. this meguiars power cut takes 5-8 applications over the same 10" spot. i am using a wool pad. i will try a foam cutting pad next but i just don't think it will work. not to mention it is hard than hell to wipe off if you let it dry too much.

has anybody used this yet?

is there anything else out there that will cut faster with a wheel?

1BadAction
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
you need to go 1500 then 2000 THEN the wheel with the course cut. are you buffing black?

edit- I just looked at the #91, and I don't think it is equivalent to a true course cut compound. sand the area with 1000 then hit it with the wheel, if its hard to rub out with the wool bonnet/#91, then you might want to go to something else to start with.

Will I Am
05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
i havent used that meguaiars product but i would up my sand paper grit.... i started out with a 400-600 wet sand paper and ended with 2000 and my boat was in bad shape where the finish on the boat felt like course sand paper itself.... now its as smooth as glass i was using a 3m buffing compound

Fish
05-16-2008, 12:52 AM
aquabuff2000.

illMATTic
05-16-2008, 07:09 AM
well i was trying to get away from sanding the whole boat. its a 21' closed bow. its red and white.

has anyone used these wizards brand cleaners? i have heard many bodyshiops rave about it. they have a turbo cut that is supposed to cut out 1000 grit scratches and break down to finish with a nice shine and no swirl marks. www.wizardsproducts.com

illMATTic
05-16-2008, 07:10 AM
aquabuff2000.

does AB work good for the final step?

1BadAction
05-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Personally i use nothing but the tried and true 3m compounds for rubbing out fresh, or really bad finishes. its repeatable and I know exactly how each different compound will work with each pad that I have.

for slightly swirl-marked paint, I use the diminishing cut Zaino ZPC. it starts abrading around 1800 grit and ends up like a mirror. there are better options for heavier jobs, its more of a detailer/maintenance thing, and would take a full bottle to do a whole boat with a rotary.

IF the wizards stuff you mentioned is a true diminishing cut compound in that grit range, it sounds like its worth a shot. Fish has had good success with the aquabuff too, so its hard to say. your call man.

illMATTic
05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
thanks guys. i went with "my call" 3 times now and ended up with $60 of compound i cant use. :rolleyes:

i may just give up and wet sand it since i know that will work for sure. then at least i have a ton of light compound sitting here to to finish the job.

williamsdetailing
05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
check to see if you have any fiberglass supply shops in your town. I get all my compounds and pads from fiberglass coatings www.fgci.com which is in st pete. they have alot more stuff in their store then on the web. If you do have a supply shop, ask one of the sales reps what works. I used to only run 3m products also until a rep let me try some other stuff for free.

ghost28
05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
91 is not really designed for a high speed buffer but more for an orbital....i tried it and it doesnt cut well and gums up bad.....try 49 compound...works really well and is a diminishing grit that keeps getting finer as you go....

91 is crap in my book....works well by hand in tight spots though....

Scott in MN
05-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Used mostly 3M compounds myself so I can't comment on the Meguires but I can tell you that I haven't seen a foam pad that can come close to a white wool pad for cutting. Save the foam pads for the final steps as they will gloss up nicer and won't swirl mark as easy.

ghost28
05-25-2008, 03:05 PM
i agree with scott...foam pads for cutting on gelcoat is a NO NO...creates too much heat and doesnt cut as well...foam pad for finesse or swirl remover and waxes only...

gary slagle
05-29-2008, 09:47 PM
thanks guys. i went with "my call" 3 times now and ended up with $60 of compound i cant use. :rolleyes:

i may just give up and wet sand it since i know that will work for sure. then at least i have a ton of light compound sitting here to to finish the job.

:iagree: i was always afraid to wet sand ,about wore myself out trying to compound,buff & shine my mastercraft & wound up with so so results that wouldnt last to long whth any product i used,so 1500 wet sanded,then 2000,& then polished & WOW!! looks like new( boat is a 1988 which i bought new),,that was 3 years ago & it still looks new :cheers:

Costa
06-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Im with Fish on this one Aquabuff all the way. They have a 1000 and a 2000, order both! Best stuff I have ever used and I am a big 3M fan.

illMATTic
06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
i ended up with the 3M super duty compound #5954 on a wool pad. this stuff cuts fast and is easy to clean up. it does however leave some swirls. but the time i saved with how fast this worked is great. ill have to finish up with a light compound.