PDA

View Full Version : Wood Workers - I need finishing oil

Stoker1
05-03-2008, 02:21 AM
We've got a separate table for our kitchen recently. Its bare hardwood & needs some type of finish put on to help seal it. What do you recommend? I bought some Formby's Tung Oil Finish but not sure.

Again, all we want to do is seal it mainly from water. Not put a hard finish. Whats the other one from Formby's... Linseed oil?

Pic's. IGNORE the mess. We've been in the house only one week, I'm working and excuses, excuses, excuses.:o

Thanks, Jamie

Liqui-Fly
05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Tung oil is a great choice....multiple thin layers with a lint free cloth.

stokernick
05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
memories of Parris Island,linseed oil and alot of hand rubbing!

j_martin
05-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Tung oil, multiple applications well rubbed in.

Forkin' Crazy
05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
memories of Paris Hilton, suntan oil and alot of hand rubbing!

:eek:

Stoker1
05-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks a bunch. I'll start sanding it tomorrow and get the first coat on.

Wile E. Coyote
05-03-2008, 07:14 PM
be carefull if you use linseed oil, i remember something about piles of rags with linseed oil combusting and burning things up...

mr.clean
05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Tung oil is a great choice....multiple thin layers with a lint free cloth.

What he said ;) Be careful if anyone in the house has a nut allergy.

stokernick
05-03-2008, 07:49 PM
:( Forkin,you've got it backwards,Paris Hilton was tung oil!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liqui-Fly
05-04-2008, 09:00 AM
What he said ;) Be careful if anyone in the house has a nut allergy.

He siad wood workers...I'm not really sure polishing your helmut qualifies you as a wood worker:thumbsup:

rock
05-04-2008, 10:58 AM
It depends on how you want to use the table. Oil finishes are fine but you better be prepared to oil it over and over to keep the table looking good. If this is a table you want to use daily I would reconsider not using a hard finish. Poly or a good lacquer will make table last longer and far more useable. If you use oil I would look at Watco Danish Oil. We used it in our shop for years and I actually liked it better than tung. Watco also comes in colors.
Rock

Forkin' Crazy
05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
:( Forkin,you've got it backwards,Paris Hilton was tung oil!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So sorry. :( My bad. :p

Stoker1
05-04-2008, 02:07 PM
It depends on how you want to use the table. Oil finishes are fine but you better be prepared to oil it over and over to keep the table looking good. If this is a table you want to use daily I would reconsider not using a hard finish. Poly or a good lacquer will make table last longer and far more useable. If you use oil I would look at Watco Danish Oil. We used it in our shop for years and I actually liked it better than tung. Watco also comes in colors.
Rock

Rock, its a kitchen table/work counter top. Not really looking for a hard finish, just something to seal it and help waterproof.

Helped the wife hang curtains, build schrunks and what-not today so the table will have to wait until next weekend.

Whats your input on this? Is the tung oil still good?

rock
05-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I my opinion it's about what you want it to look like and how much you want to mess with it to keep it looking good. I believe tung oil is linseed oil with a bit of varnish in it. At least that is how I see the finish. I've used it countless times on furniture and the richness is hard to beat. For a kitchen table I want it to have the toughest possible finish for easy, effective cleaning. This means a closed finish and not something that is going to expose the grain. You said it was a hardwood. If it's red oak, for example, you would be amazed at how open the grain really is. I use that as an example due to it being one of the most popular furniture building materials out there. If it's hard maple then the grain is very closed. I concern myself with this due to the fact there will be spillage from time to time on a kitchen table. Said spillage could easilly migrate to the open pores and depending on the contents of said spillage could easilly spoil and therefore create a bad situation for a place you intend to eat from. Oil will not completely close these pores but a hard finish will after sufficient coating. Table will also look much nicer longer with a hard finish besides being easier to maintain. I look at a kitchen as a work area. I have built and designed many with that as the dominant factor. This is just my opinion.
Rock

j_martin
05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Tung oil is oil pressed from the nut of the Tung tree. It is a drying oil, much like linseed oil, but doesn't darken with age like linseed oil does.

It will form a slightly yellow, very tough and durable finish.

All drying oils dry by reacting with oxygen. It is an exothermic reaction. A pile of rags could burst into flame.

I'm cheep and practical. I have a large homemade kitchen/dining table which I finished with multiple coats of polyurethane. It survived nine kids, but had to be worked over with a belt sander and refinished after that.

John

Stoker1
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Great post.
Reading your replies to the wife. Trying to talk her into the poly but what the hell... it came from IKEA.

stokernick
05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
save yourself some grief,whatever SHE wants will be perfect,I promise!!

Stoker1
05-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Werd... no doubt.