PDA

View Full Version : melted wires

Brylk1830
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
this is a close up of the group of yellow wires connected below the starter that appear to have melted a little bit..? If anyone knows what these wires are connected to and what could this mean I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

hsbob
05-01-2008, 10:38 AM
move that strap and free the wires up a little. what motor????

MadProps
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
as was posted loosen the wire tie.... curious, it seems they only melted and the connector....possibly a bad connection

Brylk1830
05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Here's two more pictures of the wires. It does look as though only the one wire melted and the others are unaffected. Any ideas? Thanks again!

gfinch
05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
If it's at a connection, there was resistance at that connection causing the heat that burned the covering. The resistance can be at the crimp and /or the spade connection. I would check if that wire is protected by a fuse.

hsbob
05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
had a 12v weed eater with a loose spade connector that burnt the wire just as in the pics.

MadProps
05-05-2008, 11:43 AM
that shows it a bit better

I believe that it is just a resistance issue at the connectors, otherwise there should be damage to the wire casing in other areas

change out the connectors and try it

pyro
05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
This is the result of a loose-fitting connection. The area of metal in the connector that's making electrical contact is too small as a result, and causes the metal to heat up at that point. A cheap-ass set of jumper cables will do the same thing, the crimps at the ends get hot where the continuity is poor or thin. Disconnect, and gently squeeze the female end of each bullet connector (without puncturing the boot) to make it fit tighter when you plug it back in. Put some dielectric silicone grease stuff on it before you reconnect it. Gently twist, plug and unplug it a couple of times to clean the contact surface. This should take care of the problem.

Brylk1830
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the help. I posted a couple pictures below to show the plastic had melted into the other two wire connections and so I had to cut off the plastic tube that covered the connection. I just wanted to double check that all I need to do now is clean the connectors, tighten the connection between the male/female, and place a plastic insulator over them?

gfinch
05-06-2008, 12:02 AM
From the second pic, I'd say cut the connectors off to clean good wire and crimp new connectors.

Resistance builds heat which builds resistance. Snake eating it's tail!