PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Mann

CDave
06-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Damn I love this race. Ilse and Daytona are about the only motorcycle road races I watch.

I love my Speedvision!!!

LaserModVee
07-01-2002, 07:10 AM
Isle of Man is awesome, but it's just not the same without Joey Dunlop.

I am addicted to all motorcycle racing, Moto GP, AMA, SBK......must watch em all!!!

CDave
07-01-2002, 07:14 AM
I enjoy Motocross, Hill Climbs and watching Angel Savoie race, errrr I mean Pro Stock bikes race. Harley drags are cool too.

Boaterbum
07-01-2002, 01:48 PM
I really give the guys credit at Isle of Mann, thats a F***in' awsome race! I love watching all the cycle races as well, drags and REAL racing..... lol

at100plus
07-02-2002, 04:15 AM
I love that race too. INSANE!! How do I catch it, I haven't seen it on TV in a long time. Please post when it is on next.

CDave
07-02-2002, 07:33 AM
Here is Speedvisions channel guide, http://www.speedvision.com/programs/index.html?lvl=1s&cat=3&m=&d=&week=&ts=&wholeMonth=&subcat=0&program=&usecal=yes

LaserModVee
07-02-2002, 07:42 AM
I have Isle of Mann 2000 on tape. Fifty-some year old Joey Dunlop dominated nearly all classes. It was his last TT.

A classic.

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
07-16-2002, 02:36 PM
There ain't nothin lkie standing at the fence at the start-finish line at Daytona and watch the Superbikes go by at 180 plus 10' from you, especially if you ride hipo scooters.:D :D :D :D :D

But the Isle of Man has to be the most insane race of all. 180 plus on narrow 2 lane public roads, you gahoonies the size of basketballs!!!!!!

We are addicted to speed. I have been 197 on gps, still pulling hard and got out of it, what a rush!!!!!

F.O.G.R.
Fast Old Guys Racing

LaserModVee
07-16-2002, 02:49 PM
Big kahoonies-so true!

Those streets are barely two lane, but the real kicker is the 12' cobblestone walls on each side of the street!!!

197 on GPS!?!??! What were you driving?!?!? I am jealous!

I am heading to the AMA Superbike race here in a couple of weeks at Mid-Ohio...Can't wait!!!

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
07-16-2002, 03:37 PM
I hear the Mid Ohio race is terriffic. I have a couple of friends that go every year and I plan to attend next year. Gotta get a new sport tourer first.

I ride a 97 Honda Blackbird---turbocharged
It dyno's at 260 at the tire. You can't believe how fast it is until you run a Busa or ZX-12. Fourth gear is good from 60-160 mph, 1 gear. It will literally turn itself over backwards and drive you into the pavement on high boost. It is selectable at the bar 190 or 260 at the flip of a switch. However, it is the sleeper of all time. You can't see any of it, it appears bone stock with a pipe. What a Gas!!!!!!!!

F.O.G.R.
Fast Old Guys Racing:D :D

at100plus
07-16-2002, 10:47 PM
I dont see any Isle of Mann TT races scheduled on the program guide

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
07-17-2002, 08:41 AM
I believe that they only run it once a year.

LaserModVee
07-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Here is a website that has all of the TT info you would ever need~http://www.iomtt.com/

Here are some cool TT videos on the same site. They show Joey Dunlop from a couple years back. http://www.iomtt.com/video/

Custom performance 1, it sounds like you have one hell of a rocket!!! A buddy of mine has a 'Busa with the power programmer, big extended swingarm, and nitrous, but it's more of a quarter miler. I have seen him haze the rear tire on the freeway at normal speeds, those bikes are nuts.

I'll have to scan some of my pics from Mid-Ohio, I love taking action shots all over the course. Turn one exit is one of my favs though.

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
07-17-2002, 09:26 AM
I had nitrous on it before the turbo. Nitrous hits too hard and you can't throttle it. Besides, it runs out too quick.
The turbo is very controlable on low and high boost.I don't spin the tire,it just hooks up and goes. It is on a stock wheelbase with alot of gear stacked on it. I built it as a street bike not to drag race. However, I did accept the challenge last year and took it to the track. My first time down the track on a bike. What a rush. After 8 attempts trying to find the best way to ride it dealing with the wheel standing problem in the first 4 gears, I managed a 10.60 at 150 mph. I have a 4" over swingarm but have never installed it. If I did use it, lowered the bike and tied the front end down, I know that I could put it into the mid 9's around 160. With and experienced rider, I think that it would go in the high 8's
Not bad for a street bike that looks like a stocker!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

LaserModVee
07-17-2002, 09:55 AM
That isn't bad at all!!!
I would say those numbers would be very attainable with the kind of power you are producing. That is some big mph you're turning already!!
With bikes, as you know, it is soooooo much the rider. My buddy on the 'busa turns 11s all day at the track. He's too timid for the bike and he is about 300 lbs! He let another more experienced, (also heavy), friend make three or four passes on it and he made it into the low tens. I think with a decent light rider, his bike should hit nines easy.

Another friend is big into the stunt-bike thing. I think it looks cool and all doing stand up wheelies at 80 mph, but it also is making all of the other sportbike enthusiasts look like a bunch of punks. He pulls these stunts on four and six lane freeways all the time, IN TRAFFIC!!!
Well, a couple of weeks ago, he was rolling down one of our freeways late at night and decided to click down into to second and bring up the front. He was standing on the pegs and thought to himself,"I am really starting to master stand up wheelies". Just as he thought that, the rear tire started to wiggle. He nailed the throttle thinking he could power out of it, (DUH), and hit the rev-limiter on his way over, (which puts him in the 90 mph range). He and the bike tumbled and slid for what seemed to be miles to him. He had all kevlar padded Joe Rocket gear and an Arai helmet and luckily walked away with only bruises and a little ass rash. His bike is totalled. Newer GSXR-750

STV_Keith
07-17-2002, 11:58 AM
Once you get on a turbo bike, you never want to get off it. They are soooooo much fun to ride. People say it's too much, or uncontrollable - they haven't been on one or not on a good one.

CP1, is your bike on the road now? ;)

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
07-17-2002, 02:22 PM
LMV-------
Your friend is damn lucky to be alive today. The only thing that saved his ass was the gear and GOD. In Florida, there is a NO helmet law, and only IDIOTS don't wear helmets. I crashed in January cause some squid lost control in front of me and left me no where to go except down. Only $4,000 to the bike but I got broke up. Still recooperating. I went down at 40 mph and broke 1 ankle, 3 ribs, separated shoulder and bruised hip. I was in racing leather and ARAI race helmet. Once again, gear saved my ass bigtime. I would have no face today if not for the helmet. I need surgery to repair my shoulder which will be soon, so I can put my bike back together and get back to riding. God do I miss it!!!!!!!!

STV-Keith,
Bike is still on stand, broke. And you know very well how much "FUN" this turbo bike is!!!!!!

LaserModVee
07-17-2002, 02:30 PM
Kind of ironic, because earlier that day he had stopped by my house while another buddy and I were sanding on my boat. He did a big stoppie in front of my house, before pulling up to the garage. When he left he did a big wheelie down the street. My buddy that was helping me sand asked me then, "When do you think we will be burying him?"

That night he had the get-off on the freeway.

He was beyond lucky. He used to never wear a helmet, but after three bikes and five or six get-offs, he finally wisened up!

I am trying to get him into boats.

CUSTOM PERFORMANCE 1
07-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Get-offs, fall offs, stoppies,wheelies are NOT in my vocabulary. At my age, the recooperation process is long and sometimes painful----no fun at all. I enjoy twisting the throttle too much. I have been off too long already, again----no fun.
Like HONDA says "Stupid Hurts". How true.
Those antics look cool, but not on the interstate highway, giving a bad name to the rest of us that ride crotch rockets!!!!!!!

Now in my case, 6" power wheelies under control is a gas.

LaserModVee
07-17-2002, 03:29 PM
I have much more respect for someone packing the front wheel 8 or 9 inches off the ground in a controlled manner at the dragstrip and knocking off a sub 10 second pass than some punk moron standing on the back pegs at 75 mph down the interstate. It TOTALLY tarnishes the image of all sportbike riders.

Our vocabulary and age may differ, but our opinions are the same!

patchesII
07-21-2002, 06:40 PM
was looking one day for the video of a supra outrunning a hayabusa when i happened across a site called www.bikemovies.com that has some killer video of different bike stunts. btw you are right on the hayabusa times. have a friend that weighs about 175 and is a very good rider that could get his bike that had a gear change and the back had been lowered a little to run 9.80's consistently at 142-144. i used to have a 900rr and i want a haybusa so bad i can taste it.