PDA

View Full Version : Adding more speakers...placement?

STV_Keith
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, my boat just isn't loud enough for me yet. Under way, the damn motors drown just about everything out. So, I've pretty well decided I want to add another set of speakers (8) and another amp. To keep it all consistent, I'll add the same amp again (HiFonics zxi-6406) and the same speakers (Memphis Audio 15-MA8's - 8" co-axials)...just need to figure out where to put them.

Right now, I have one pair under each jump seat:

http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/stereo-new/front-speakers3.jpg

Also have a pair in the bottom of the console - these don't do much except for the people in the back seat (who are going deaf from the motors if they are back there when it's running):

http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/stereo-new/rear-speakers1.jpg

And the last pair is in the gunwales next to the console:

http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/stereo-new/overview2.jpg

So now I'm trying to decide where I'd put 8 more of these things. I was thinking perhaps putting 2 on each side below the storage boxes, facing in, forward of the console front edge:

http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/stereo-new/front-seat.jpg

That still leaves 4 speakers unaccounted for. Suggestions?

Here's a rear overview shot of the boat. This is what I have to work with...plus the picture above.

http://www.speedcraving.com/scarab/pics/images/DSCN5433.jpg

action17
04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
do you have any in the console? Or what about adding a bozuka tube inside the console. I have 7 total speakers in the concept 2 160w 6'' in the console 4 300w 3 way 6x9 and a 10'' subwoofer up front below the cusions I'm running a 600w clarion amp and it cranks.

STV_Keith
04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
The system sounds pretty good and fairly loud...but with the engines running, even just a cruise, it gets completely drowned out. It even bumps pretty good, having the 8" co-axials, and I figure 8 more would help. :)

The only ones in the console are the ones down by the foot area that face backwards to the back seat (2nd picture above). You can't hear them if you are standing behind the console or sitting in the bolsters...they are angled too far down/back.

pyro
04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
First things first, get rid of all those off-brands that didn't exist until 10 years ago. Just kidding. :D

Some 3-way speakers would probably be a lot louder, they produce the upper midrange tones much better and louder without distortion.

Adding subs would allow you to high-pass the main speakers, thus removing the lower tones that rob power and produce distortion. If you take out the deepest bass and let the subs do the hard work, those 6.5's will crank a LOT louder where it counts with the same available power.

STV_Keith
04-02-2008, 11:36 AM
As I said, the speakers and amp package I have now work well, and I just want to double it up. I don't want to put the weight of other batteries and amps/subs in the boat, so I'm sticking with the co-axials.

pyro
04-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, if you don't mind the lack of low end, and you can high-pass the mains so they never see anything under 50 Hz, you'll be able to get more screaming volume without the distortion.

17actionANT
04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
u can make a nice box that fits under back seat and fiberglass it. paint it white and bolt it under the seat so it doesint sit on the floor... and i can add two more speakers infront of the consul...

markt111
04-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey Keith you may want to add a couple in the rear of the boat facing the console, I'm adding two more this year there, mine sounds great upfront because your surrounded by music from all angles there but not so in the back under way

I have to remeasure this weekend but I think I can fit some 6.5"s under my battery switches

also what they said about adding a sub or two will work, take the low bass out of those speakers and the headroom goes to the clouds, quality is where it is at not size when it comes to speakers and amps, I run my Infinities full blast no distortion with my Kicker amps

STV_Keith
04-03-2008, 11:07 AM
In the rear is mainly where I'd like to add some speakers, but there just isn't any gunwale room. I might have to go with a custom pod or something. Most of the sound is up front, where there is room to move anyway though.

These 8" co-axials I used have amazing bass response for a co-axial. With the 8 that are in the boat now, I was debating wanting to add subs due to weight, box location, another amp and supporting battery. I think just another 8 of the co-axials will be PLENTY for what I want.

GTO GEORGE
04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Your literally pissin' into the wind. Those speakers are all at waist, or below, level. The noise that the wind makes at speed, @ EAR LEVEL, is probably 85 dB, Now add in the motors and in order to hear the music at a level that it was recorded at ( the place that is best listening) you'll have to be (guessing)8-10 dB over the noise. You do the math; on one hand it's going to take a tremendous, well placed sound system to do this in a free field and secondly, more important, it'll be at a level that is extremely hard on your ears.

markt111
04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
you may need factory engine covers to cut the engine noise?? ;)

STV_Keith
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Haha, NOT going to factory cowlings...in fact, I'm looking at buying a pair of Second Effort copies. :)

George, thanks for confirming what I thought...not going to hear it when running. I do want it to be louder when sitting still, but at this time, I think I'm going to go through the summer with it and see how it does.

GTO GEORGE
04-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I have a sport scarab, later model than yours. I have a alum tube radar arch that i mounted two "wake boat" type speakers to get them up where I can hear them when I'm floating on my raft behind the boat. I also mounted a JL audio marine woofer in the console to help boost the bass; it's of a design that doesn't need a dedicated enclosure, the console serves the purpose.