PDA

View Full Version : Mercury bashing in my area

hydrostream1
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Yesterday I had to get towed because of an alternator failure(no charge,battery dead)The towboat US driver said,Blew it up huh?I said nope,Just a dead battery,he says,I love towing mercurys,they make me money.What the hell is up with that?I live in the NC,SC area.I was running the boat near georgetown,sc.Seams everyone is on a yamaha kick around here.I see a few allison,stv owners.But alot of yamahas.I really like what mercury is doing with their products,especially Verado and optimax.Yamaha might be great now but wait til those four strokes get old and out of warranty.Yamaha has had their share of problems it just doesn`t get publized.I am a marine tech and I know others at dealerships around the area,They said the HPDI was a mistake,what a POS!They said they have seen powerhead failures(Rods through the block),Dropping oil out of it etc.Parts are through the damn roof.We all need to support the american economy and jobs,yes I know germany helped design the verado(Porsche),,But give Merc a chance.I know the earlier optis were a POS but,so are alot of early designs of other products.I had a yamaha raptor ATV and nothing but problems(first year design)Transmission gears exploded,starter failure and drive gear,bad shocks etc.I think alot of problems with outboards and sterndrives is lack of maintenence (such as water in the fuel)No#1 problem,overheat,warning horns disconnected etc,then blame the engine.Stupidity on the owners part.Oh, it just blew up,man there is a reason why it blew up,I see rusted crank journals all the time,eats bearings up then the rod goes through the case or block.I like when the cust says only got 100 hours on it and its a 04!Yea,I`m thinking I wonder how the inside of the motor looks.Or just rebuilt,yea, A set of rings or one new piston.I guess I am on a rant but I hate Ignorance.

flabum1017
03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
don't get sick over it, all makes and models get bashed at one time or another. A bad charging system component that causes a dead battery will leave any EFI motor dead in the water. All the newer motors on the market today are far more susceptable to failure due to stupid thing than were the older carbed motors. Many time I have made it back to the ramp with a dead battery or a dead bank due to a stator or pack problem. Nothing is bullet-proof.

NNT
03-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Its a form of penis envy, the tow boat guy was obviously a pillow biter and was mad because you weren't. He knew this because you had the baddest ass outboard in the world on the back of your boat. Now if you had a yammy or Etec on the back, love would have been in the air. :D

Frank Molé
03-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Its a form of penis envy, the tow boat guy was obviously a pillow biter and was mad because you weren't. He knew this because you had the baddest ass outboard in the world on the back of your boat. Now if you had a yammy or Etec on the back, love would have been in the air. :D

LMAO:D :D :D :D :D

props4u2
03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
The Verado was not a joint venture with Porshe, Mercury hired an Engineer that once worked for Porshe to design and lead the way.

Lee

Markus
03-24-2008, 03:48 AM
If I remember correctly, Mercury hired Lotus for Project X, not Porsche.

Wild Wil
03-24-2008, 04:33 AM
The tow boat guy was lookin to sell you his junk motor ie; yammys.
He was goin to buy a good Black motor with the money.

BLACK RULES... and as usual Black will win the 24 hr race again this year, you heard it here first

locoeddy
03-24-2008, 05:25 AM
Just remember when your boating in the SC NC area which engine is on the boat thats in first place the big black one.

Ed

tux974
03-24-2008, 05:52 AM
If I remember correctly, Mercury hired Lotus for Project X, not Porsche.

Markus, It was Porsche. Harley Davidson did the same for their V-ROD. TL

Action Dave
03-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Some people are just rediculous. I've towed in guys with Mercs before, I've been towed in by guys with Mercs before. I don't care how much you love your brand, everything will break occasionally. Or sometimes you run out of gas.

Markus
03-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Markus, It was Porsche. Harley Davidson did the same for their V-ROD. TL

I found this when I googled:

"Developed in conjunction with several of the world's leading four-stroke design and engineering companies, including AVL (the Austrian four-stroke race-engine experts), Lotus Engineering and Porsche Engineering Services, and combined with Mercury Marine's outboard and corrosion-resistance technology teams, Verado is poised to be the technology leader in outboard engines."

So I guess they used both Porsche and Lotus, as well as that third firm.

I remember that Volvo used Porsche in the late eighties / early ninteties when they were developing modern engines...

Tony Montana
03-24-2008, 10:42 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D

mirage243
03-24-2008, 11:39 AM
It would be hard for me to bash Yammi's if I was being towed by one.

Fish
03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
everyone gets towed at some point in their life, it does not make the tow boat power any better except for that day. To take something those scum sucking jerkoff d**khead butt pirate tow boat company a**whipes say seriously is a waste of time tho. pulling a boat then robbing the customer no more makes him qualified to talk about motors than a weekend visit to Iraq makes Hillary qualified to talk about the military.

mirage243
03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
everyone gets towed at some point in their life, it does not make the tow boat power any better except for that day. To take something those scum sucking jerkoff d**khead butt pirate tow boat company a**whipes say seriously is a waste of time tho. pulling a boat then robbing the customer no more makes him qualified to talk about motors than a weekend visit to Iraq makes Hillary qualified to talk about the military.I bet he was glad to see them when they pulled up.

HStream1
03-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I only have one thing to wish on that tow boat Guy http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/kboom.gif

Fish
03-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I bet he was glad to see them when they pulled up.

Hell, at last call I've been happy to see "the ugly friend" of the hot chick I talked to earlier... if ya think about it, both can come in handy but you don't want your friends to see ya with them.:D:D