PDA

View Full Version : engine swap mostly complete...

cocacola
03-17-2008, 02:33 PM
my boat does not have a Mercury control box. All controls are dash mounted. Trim is on steering wheel and always works whether engine is turned on or not on previous engine.

New engine installed and trim does not work. I have jumpered across solenoids to verify everything thing works. It does. I need to find out what needs to be connected to make trim work from steering wheel. There was a separate black and red wire that is not connected and not part of harness. Also, there were wires not connected that probably need to be. I am at work and cannot remember colors. These are wires with connectors on the end that are apart of the harness, but not in the round part that plugged into mating engine connector. All functions except trim seem to work.

hsbob
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
the merc wire harness from the motor has a green and blue wires with white stripes. these wires connect to the turn signal output wires. the third wire at the turn sig is for power. when power is connect to the blue the motor trim up and the green is down.

amityray
03-17-2008, 05:42 PM
<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">
Mercury/Mariner Standard Outboard Wiring Color Code

</td></tr><tr><td>Color</td><td>Where Used / Function</td></tr><tr><td>Black</td><td>All Ground</td></tr><tr><td>Brown</td><td>Reference Electrode MerCathode System</td></tr><tr><td>Orange</td><td>Anode Electrode MerCathode System</td></tr><tr><td>Lt. Blue/White Stripe</td><td>Trim UP Switch</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>Lt. Green/White Stripe</td><td>Trim DOWN Switch</td></tr><tr><td>Brown/White Stripe</td><td>Trim Sender to Trim Gauge</td></tr><tr><td>Purple/White Stripe</td><td>Trim "Trailer" Switch</td></tr><tr><td>Gray</td><td>Tachometer Signal</td></tr><tr><td>Black/Yellow Stripe</td><td>Shorting or Stop Circuit</td></tr><tr><td>Pink</td><td>Fuel Sender to Gauge</td></tr><tr><td>Red</td><td>Unprotected Wire from Battery</td></tr><tr><td>Red/Purple Stripe</td><td>Protected (Fused) Wire from Battery</td></tr><tr><td>Red/Purple Stripe</td><td>Protected (12 Volt +) to Trim Panel Control</td></tr><tr><td>Purple</td><td>Ignition (Switch) to 12 Volt Positive</td></tr><tr><td>Tan</td><td>Temperature Switch to Warning Horn</td></tr><tr><td>Tan</td><td>Temperature Sender to Temperature Gauge</td></tr><tr><td>Tan/Blue Stripe</td><td>Temperature Switch to Warning Horn</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow</td><td>Starter Solenoid to Starter Motor</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow</td><td>Starter to Regulator (Charging Circuit)</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow/Red Stripe</td><td>Start Switch to Start Solenoid to Neutral Start Switch</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow/Black Stripe</td><td>Choke (Enrichener System)</td></tr><tr><td>Green with Color Stripe</td><td>Switch Box to Coil - Striped and Numbered</td></tr><tr><td>White/Black Stripe</td><td>Bias Circuit (Switch Boxes)</td></tr><tr><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">
The ABYC Recommended Colors

</td></tr><tr><td>Color</td><td>Where Used / Function</td></tr><tr><td>Yellow/Red</td><td>Starting Circuits</td></tr><tr><td>Brown/Yellow or Yellow</td><td>Bilge Blowers</td></tr><tr><td>Dark Grey</td><td>Navigation Lights & Tach Signals</td></tr><tr><td>Orange</td><td>Accessory Feeds</td></tr><tr><td>Brown</td><td>Pumps</td></tr><tr><td>Purple</td><td>Instrument Feeds</td></tr><tr><td>Dark Blue</td><td>Cabin and instrument Lights</td></tr><tr><td>Light Blue</td><td>Oil Pressure</td></tr><tr><td>Tan</td><td>Water Temperature</td></tr><tr><td>Pink</td><td>Fuel Gauge Sender</td></tr></tbody></table>

cocacola
03-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Bitchin post!!!

thank you

cocacola
03-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Got all the trim stuff figured out and it works fine. Now to the head scratcher.... I went out yesterday and nothing worked. Last thing I did the other day was disconnect battery (Perko Switch), put charger on battery, remove key from ignition. Now when I put key in ignition....everything is dead. Gauges don't light up or register, engine does not crank, tilt doesn't work...nothing. Battery is reconnected. I can short across trim solenoids and engine goes up and down. What have I done? It was getting dark, so I have have to do a visual inspection and get the multimeter out this weekend. this is the last thing I would have expected.

there is still the mystery of a black and red pair that is not part of harness, but is coming from the boat. Need to trace that out to see where it goes.

hsbob
03-20-2008, 10:13 AM
if you have a volt ohm meter start at the back and find the hole. if you dont have one you need to get one. they're out there for under $5. they save you a lot of @@@@@@

cocacola
03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a good Fluke meter. (http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke80SeriesV.htm) Hole? I guess you are referring to opens and shorts. In this case, an open...right? The other day when trim switch on steering wheel did not work, I noted gauges would peg when UP was pushed. I bet one of the trim wires I did not have connected shorted and blew a fuse somewhere.

if you have a volt ohm meter start at the back and find the hole. if you dont have one you need to get one. they're out there for under $5. they save you a lot of @@@@@@

hsbob
03-20-2008, 03:28 PM
good ohm meter and right way to go about it. good luck. remember on peoson yrs ago that had a off and on elect short. the screw mounting the shift lever when thru the wire bundle. the was a real trick to find.

cocacola
03-24-2008, 07:09 AM
Bad ignition switch is what I found. I caused this issue. Manufacture had wired the power trim separate from Mercury harness. Someone had splice a black and red wire onto a separate green and blue pair. When I saw the black and red.... I connected them to power. This shorted the ignition switch when trim button was pushed. Also took out the trim up Solenoid. Damn it!!!

Anyway, "old" switch has 6 positions on it, but 10 wires. It's potted over connections, but I can tell there are 2 wires run in pairs to a single contact on 4 positions.

Now the question...should I get a switch with 6 wires coming off it (and potted) and connect 2 wires to the single wire coming off switch in those 4 locations?

or should I get a switch with screw contacts where I can connect pairs directly to switch?

Connections looking at switch from the backside going clockwise:

2 red
2 black with yellow stripe
Pink & Purple
2 black
Yellow with red stripe
Yellow with black stripe