PDA

View Full Version : progress report

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Hey all,
been workin' like mad last few weeks, this sure is a lot more work than I expected but it's going pretty good. The transom should be getting glassed in by next weekend hopefully. Wish I was in Super Dave's shoes (by the way Dave, hell of a job, transom looks sweet) he's probably got his out this weekend.

Here's some pic's, I've got a ton more that I will be getting up on some web space I have once I get a chance.

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:25 PM
Good thing I got that engineering degree with all the damn angles I had to cut

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:26 PM
3 layers of 3/4" marine

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:27 PM
new sections of core in place

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:29 PM
the wall o' supplies, my friends are calling my shop Pete's house o' glass, and they also think I am f'in' crazy

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:31 PM
As you can see I am raising the transom height quite a bit

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:32 PM
here's a shot with the deck clamped back in place (splashwell removed), the wood was the first mock up piece of junk plywood.

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:33 PM
I am going for a look kind of like this

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:36 PM
here's a little moldless cowl thing I was practicing on.

Pete 88 Venus
06-21-2002, 11:44 PM
So that's where it stands as of last night. Tommorow I will be cutting the knees, so I will be starting to see the basic skeleton of the cowl thing. Polyurethane sheet foam will be used to fill in the wood skeleton and act like a plug for the moldless cowl, which I will chisel out from the inside once it's all laid up.

BTW, this is the first I have ever worked with 'glass, again my friends think I am totally nuts.

FCnLa
06-22-2002, 12:25 AM
That's looking good. What kinda hull is that?

What are you wetting out your glass with? (just curious)

Looks like you're on the down hill run!:cool:

Pete 88 Venus
06-22-2002, 10:17 AM
The hull is an '83 mod VP sleekcraft, the light weight one.

I am using Vinyl ester resin. The cowl will be made from cloth and mat. All the structural pieces will be taped in with biaxial fabric.

Here's what the boat looked like when I got it, minus the Johnrude, I've got a 2.4 merc I am bolting on.

Pete 88 Venus
07-03-2002, 07:38 PM
here's the knees

Pete 88 Venus
07-03-2002, 07:41 PM
the transom is glassed together. I will be glassing it in place this weekend, followed by the knees.

Pete 88 Venus
07-03-2002, 07:43 PM
you can sort of see the shape of the cowl thing in this pic, there is a tape line along it.

Pete 88 Venus
07-03-2002, 07:45 PM
one more

cobra147
07-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Looks good Pete! Those knees will make the padded hatch/sundeck a lot more usable as well. Your old Venus is still sitting, I haven't even touched it. Maybe this month.

Georgia Boy
07-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Pete I have an old Sleek craft monterey that I have been working on a bit fut a floor and transom in this year slap a quick coat of paint on it to get it in the water for the rest of the summer, You are doing great work on that, that will be a very nice ride when you finish it. I am going to change some on mine as well over the winter, Take out the splashwell, put in some knees, etc.. Keep the pics a coming, can't wait to see it finished

Pete 88 Venus
07-16-2002, 02:01 PM
It's coming along nicely, a lot slower than I planned, but that's my own fault though, I am way too much of a perfectionist. I have some new pics with the knees all glassed in but they are on my computer at my shop without internet access, but I will get them up just as soon as I can.

Cheers!
Pete

Georgia Boy
07-16-2002, 02:57 PM
I am going to take out my splashwell this winter, and was thinking of adding a cowling similare to what you are talking about, but my question is, will the engine hit it when trimmed up for trailering? that was something that worried me.

Pete 88 Venus
07-16-2002, 08:56 PM
The thing I am making is not so much a cowling, in the traditional sense, it's more like I am just raising the transom. My motor will be bolted on higher, plus I am going with 10"-12" of set back. I am just basically keeping my fingers crossed everything works out. I did a lot of measuring to figure out the optimal engine height and it will bolt on only about 2"or 3" lower than the top of the new transom, which doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, so hoepfully it works.

I will let you know what happens when I bolt it all together.

Got any pic's of your hull?

Techno
07-16-2002, 09:06 PM
My STV has that fairing in the way. I'm dumping the jack plate and my custom cowl is bigger so there isn' t much in the way of "trailer" It will tilt but I don't think by much. Even without the fairing the hoses would be in the deck.

Since the prop shaft is near the bottom that only leaves the skeg, depending on your setup this may or may not work.
The trailer thing is really for those bottom farmer engines, the ones that plow the sea bed.

Georgia Boy
07-16-2002, 10:00 PM
After i got to thinking about it if the engine was on a jack and had some decent set back then you would not need to raise the engine that high anyway to have plenty of ground clearance, I am used to having my engine straight to the transom, it's the first year I am playing with the setup on my rig, and will be running a jackplate.

aircraftman
08-13-2002, 12:33 PM
i have a 78 version of the same hull and was going to redo the transom this winter. thats an awesome idea with the raised center. keep posting pics.

what made the hull "the light one"? are you going to put a floor in the center or leave it as is? my center hull is covered and was wondering about removing it to get rid of some weight.

keep rockin on that thing and we need updates!:D

cobra147
08-30-2002, 01:40 PM
What's the progress Pete? Any new pictures?

Georgia Boy
08-30-2002, 02:48 PM
cough up the pics and progress man! I want to see what this ride is going to look like with the good work you have done so far.

Pete 88 Venus
09-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, sorry, I didn't even see this come back to the top.

Steve, any luck selling the stream? I saw you had it up for sale.

I got a few more pics that I will throw up on a new thread. I've been saving them on my comp. at my shop and for some reason I am having trouble saving them on a disk and then getting them open back at home, but I filled up my camera and brought it home to d-load right onto this comp. Anyway, check out the new thread.

bigmotor
09-02-2002, 10:26 PM
Yes ,You are officially insane, but it looks pretty damn good.
keep up the good work.
When can I send my rig to you for the same stuff!!!!!

cobra147
09-04-2002, 08:50 PM
Yeah it's still for sale. I have a few people interested, one came to look at it, but said it was too much work for him. I thought I had my outboard sold, but I still have it, so it is sitting on the Venus now. Who knows, maybe I will just wire the thing up and run it around the lake next summer.

STVRacing
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Pete, its only been 7 years since your last post. Is the boat done yet?