PDA

View Full Version : Home security

B.Leonard
06-21-2002, 12:40 PM
What kind of systems do you guys have in place? Electronic? Lights, Dogs and Smith and Wesson? :D

I saw something on one of those forensic shows at about 2am in the morning last night (while feeding the baby) that scared the hell out me.

A lady had advertised some old furniture in the classifieds in San Diego CA. A drifter showed up to see the furniture and she let him in. He ends up killing her and her 3yr old son. He took the kid into the bathroom and cut his throat ear to ear. You could see the handprints of the poor kid on the white bathroom tile in his own blood. What a horrifying thought of that little boy clutching his throat and grasping for help making those prints on the wall!

Well that was all I needed. The wife was woken up by me digging through all my old ammo boxes. I used to be heavily into firearms, I guess I need to resume my old hobby :)

I'll now keep a loaded rifle at every entrance and a loaded pistol in key places of the house. I used to keep just the .45 accessible.

Anybody into class 3 firearms?? :D :D

-BL

H2Onut
06-21-2002, 01:15 PM
WHAT

You have 3 kids, you nuts, loaded weapon, COME ON BL

You are a SMART man, LOADED!

More chance of them shootin themselves.

My security

3 Jack Russell Terrors

Glock 9mm, with aternating Hydra-shock/Black Talons

Remington 870 pump 3 inch Magnum Buckshot.

ANd I am poor, nothing to steal, Thats why I keep the the house looking terrible, they will pass right by me to the guy with the German Cars in the driveway.

B.Leonard
06-21-2002, 01:34 PM
All my firearms are loaded. What good are they otherwise?

A 3yr old can't operate the action on a gov model 1911 .45 semi w/ 25lb slide spring :rolleyes: The wife can barely do it.

I do need a scatter gun though. Passed on one too many. I liked the 'ol Mossberg "Camper Special" w/pistol grip. High brass was hell on the wrists though! :D

Rem 870! Niiiiiiice. Thats a favorite too :D

I always wanted a 60 (M60). Nice slow action for taking apart small huts :D :D Perfect for when the riots break out again! LOL!! (St. Pete insider joke) I'd like to find one where the barrel wasn't overheated :rolleyes: Had the opportunity to rip a few belts through one once. Man what a feeling! I shot the M16 in full auto also, talk about fast! You aprreciate the 3 shot burst after a mag or two :D

-BL

H2Onut
06-21-2002, 01:45 PM
We will go to one of the gun shows, want to get a single shot 12ga as a drop gun, pistol grip 13 inch barrel.

PS Sammy can turn on my stereo, open cd drawer, turn on computer, open doors, Just imagine what Roger can DO !!!!

Them lil guys are smarter and more crafty than you think...

I want the GALAXY !!!!!

DID YA GET MY EMAIL !!!

Scott
06-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Although not loaded, I'll bet I could load it surpisingly fast!!
Remington pump, 12ga. trap loads

We rely more on lighting, 5-500w halogen floods on the back corners and drive way side front corner, 2-150 watt halogens at the front door, 1-150 watt at each of the sliders on the back. With everything turned on, our day lillys open!!! JK but it is bright! Our neighbors across the street don't even turn on a porch light, they use ours!!

No lie...a neighbor 1 street away (in back) asked me once to turn off the halogens on the back corners of the house, said it was to light in their bedroom! I did adjust them one night with him standing in his front yard and his wife in their bedroom telling him when it was "better"!

I'm torn on the hand gun issue. I want one but I've got to be honest, the worry about the kids is a big one. I grew up with hand guns in our home. My father and grandfather took me out once and my dad shot a frozen gallon milk jug with the 45. With a very straight face he simply turned to me and said, "thats what it would do to your head son, these are not toys and you are to never go near them"...end of discussion, I never went near them, never would have considered it. Teach your children that they are not toys, teach them that it is likely they or their siblings or friends would die if they attempt to touch them and that should be it. I respected my parrents, I would never have touched the guns. Teach you children well and that should be enough right? Then again is it worth the risk?

Oh I forgot, got a hickory ax handel under the bed! Love that thing, actually did use it one night...was just a couple drunk teens trying to cut through the woods and got lost! Guess they "saw the light" lol

B.Leonard
06-21-2002, 01:58 PM
Besides, my boys will be schooled in the proper handling and use of all firearms…even class 3. :D

One of the reasons I'd like to get back to the country. I miss being able to reload and develop my own rounds (target, hunting etc.), ballistic testing, measuring bullet speed, trajectory, penetration etc.

Not to mention hunting on your own property.

-BL

H2Onut
06-21-2002, 02:03 PM
When ya get that fram, I am coming too. I mish shootin skket with a hand thrower, and traget shooting, not much of a hunter, but do like shooting ALOT. I have an SKS, it is a very flat shooting rifle I remember target at range, 300 yards, OPEN SIGHTS, 1st shot HIGH, wow, then ping, ping, ping,, THUG, I was shootin metel pirce rounds, it sdropped the target, I was asked to leave.:confused:

WharfRat
06-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Two German Shepherds, lots of light, I carry my 9mm 15 shot Ruger with 2 clips everywhere I go, then I have a12ga in the master bedroom. I have a 12 yr old boy that was raised aound the guns I have (more than what I listed) he shot the 9 when he was 11 & has shot 410s & 22s both pistol & rifle. He has the utmost respect for firearms because he was brought up around them & was always taught proper gun etiquette. My wife has never been around guns before & is now a gun junkie, never should have let her shoot the 9 !!! She orders gun magazines now & wants a Beretta, which I intend on getting her.

I have an 10 month old baby BL, I am with you all the way

B.Leonard
06-21-2002, 02:35 PM
I always liked the Ruger SP101 in .357 for the wife. Hammerless, sleek simple and powerful. Could use .38 SPL for practice (although you don't ever practice with a gun like that :D ) Taurus has a nice lineup of hammer-less revolvers for concealed carry for women.

Some of my friends are really into the .40SW. I was really into pistols heavy when the .40 craze started and it never caught on with me. I did like the 10mm though!

Lights and dogs is what we use now for security. A friend of mine uses that X10 stuff for security. He really likes it. I might look into that for motion sensors but I would never buy into the full security systems tied into a provider like Brinks and other home sec outfits.

-BL

pyro
06-21-2002, 03:41 PM
the only gun I own is my spud chucker. I guess a potato gun would be a poor choice for this application. It would look real scary if I painted it metallic gray, though...

Talon2.5
06-22-2002, 03:19 AM
taurus hammerless 7 shot 357 mag 2" barrell, 38 special 3" barrell, rossi 357 2" barrell, mossberg 12 ga pistol grip legal cut length, marlin 22 rifle, assorted knives, black baseball bat at work, carry the hamerless while working at night but sometimes leave it home

put 75 rounds in the bull with the rossi 357 2" had it signed and dated by the nra instructor, that was after i had already done another one the same way and he didnt believe me so he made me do it again with him as a witness, the look on his face....priceless

B.Mac
06-22-2002, 06:48 AM
Instruction for 'da wifey when I ain't home. Never open the door for anybody you don't know well enough to invite home.
If in doubt position yourself near the...........
Micromax .380 semi-auto 7 rounds. Special saftey features.
It takes 2 seconds to make it operational...
1) fully engage clip
2.) unlock slide
3.) saftey off
4.) pull hammer back to full from half cocked (unfireable) position
5.) You must fully depress (sqeeze) the built in secondary saftey in the back of the grip (in the pocket of your thumb & index finger)
6.) Point at intruder & say something like a saved Dirty Harry
OK PUNK...GO AHEAD MAKE MY DAY...... SAY THE SINNER'S PRAYER
keep firing until yer outta bullets....
call the police......forget the ambulance.
7.) Pray for the guy.

For burglars ......particularly crackheads......motion detectors through out the house that trigger a Klaxon horn (like on a battle cruiser) INSIDE THE HOUSE BBLLLAATT....BBBLLLAAATTTT.....BBBLLLAAATTT...BBBLLLLAAATT
Waitin' ta find a dead (heart Failure) crackhead or a big hole in a window where he leaped out:eek:

B.MAC:D

BL, You work for the Post Office 'er somethin'? Your Sterling is the fastest rig I know bar none.......you da fastest bro........I don't wanna race you no mo.......nope ...you 'da man........:eek:

Greg Moss
06-22-2002, 08:17 AM
Enough Said!!

B.Leonard
06-22-2002, 08:29 AM
Good greif B.Mac, Angela will have to keep a check list posted at each door in the house. Get her a snubby hammerless revolver in .357. I've seen .380s stopped by one phone book. I like the motion detectors though! Keeping a dog in the house just makes a mess.. dirt, fleas, dog hair etc. Maybe I need a short hair dog, been thinkin about that.

Glad you see it my way, my hands shake when I loose ;) ;) ;) Now, will that be First Class or Bulk? OOps! ...just a habit :D ;) ;)

-BL

B.Mac
06-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Too easy fer the rugrats too fire.......besides Angela knows how to use it and she'll be fine as long as the guy doesn't try ta beat her with the yellow pages!!! Even if he gets past the .380 Angelas' got a mean high & accurate side kick :eek: (Capoeira)

......that'll give her a chance ta get a couple more rounds off!!!

Euroski
06-22-2002, 12:30 PM
I live so far off the the main drag there ain't a crook smart enough to find my house!:D

Talon2.5
06-25-2002, 03:25 AM
nice stuff greg :D

mr.clean
07-06-2002, 10:25 PM
105 pound rottweiler, 12 gauge benelli auto loader, ak-47. and if all of that fails i`ll just hit that punk ass in the head with my wallet.:eek:

Revinrude
07-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Three words guys GLOCK,GLOCK,GLOCK the Navy SEALS can,t be wrong.

Glock Model 40 Lightweight .45ACP for when you can see 'em.

Ruger 12GA Sporting Clays for when you can't see 'em

Im with you B.Leonard Class 3 Rocks!

Jim

Revinrude
07-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Also who says kids and guns don't mix?
Train them right when their young and you won't have any regrets.

This young man is 11.

1927 Thompson 45 ACP anyone?
Yes it's real and quite origanal.

Later Jim

B.Leonard
07-08-2002, 02:01 PM
What a great gun. Fires from an open bolt. My wife loved shooting that one.

The Glock never caught on with me. It would get top heavy as the mag emptied. That bothered me. .40 cal is not me either. .45 ACP all the way in rimless semi autos.

Don't get too caught up in what the military does is always right. I work for a Dod contractor. You can't imagine! ...that's all I'm gonna say :D

Great pictures!

-BL

halveb
07-08-2002, 02:21 PM
All I can say is...whatever you guys want at the Rumble is good with me. :eek: I also don't plan to go knockin on no hotel doors late at night. :eek:

Skip, all that stuff about having to play leads...don't worry dude just do what ya want :D I won't be kilt over a jam :D

Seriously, nice looking hardware guys. I only got into shotguns and that was for trapshooting. Every year I have a big party where we shoot over 1,250 rounds (light trap loads so not too bad). Lots of sore shoulders the next day (and even some cheeks and arms for those who don't watch what they're doing)..

Revinrude
07-08-2002, 02:34 PM
BL sorry about the SEAL remark Must've gotten carried away, Im actually a less government the better kinda guy.
My model 40 is chamberd for 45ACP plenty of knock down sorta like a small freight train.

Heres one more of my cousin with the M-11

Take Care Jim

We shoot a lot of sporting clays around here thats why I got the Ruger, what a blast that is.

B.Mac
07-08-2002, 04:09 PM
Ya know all this nonsense about banning weapons...........
All this fire power and all the different personalities & opinions around here and we ain't broke out into a firefight yet?! :eek: What the heck is 'ol Uncle Sam worried about anyhow? Cept' maybe it makes him a little nervous to have a population that is able to defend itself if backed into a corner?

All I know is I'm gonna be real nice ta' BL, Greg, Skip & especially 'ol Jim's cousin (Revinrude's) up there :D Hi Jim ....you da man Jim :D Yep you got one fast boat Jim:eek:

B.MAC:eek:

Just Streamin
07-08-2002, 04:22 PM
A pit bull - Remington 870 shotgun- the girlfriends 20 gauge shotgun and over hundred shells ready to go!

Revinrude
07-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Now,now B.Mac it aint like that. (but im glad to here ya think my boats fast!) :D Just wanted to show how we like to spend our time off the water,
wait a minute did'nt this start as home sec ?
Hope I did'nt freak anyone out with the class 3 stuff that was'nt my intention.
Have A great day guys!

Oh buy the way I do have a boat, see.

Jim

Talon2.5
07-09-2002, 11:42 AM
nice boat

now wheres some more of the class 3 pics :D

halveb
07-09-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm just funning I don't mind the harware displays. I'm never afraid of a weapon but sometimes the people behind them scare the crap out of me (even when they don't have a weapon with them). :eek: :eek: :eek:

B.Leonard
07-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Just heard from some friends the other day...

They were out on the town the other evening and they returned only to find their neighborhood roped off by police and they could not get back to their house. Apparently 3 armed gunmen were loose in the neighborhood!

Time to lock and load fellas! :D

-BL

B.Mac
07-09-2002, 04:01 PM
At least yer boat ain't that dangerous w/ that OMC:eek: Probably got some class 3 up in the bow fer takin' out Mercs out in front!!!:D ;) Just kiddin' Nice rig!!!

Revinrude
07-10-2002, 05:08 AM
Thanks Guys, Talon Ill post some pics as soon as I can find and resize them.Ill probably start a new thread in Hobbies.

Living in oh so P.C. New England these days you never know how people will react to GUNS! never mind MACHINE GUNS!!!

B.L. I hear you, Im locked and loaded with the switch set to FA, I may not hit the scumbags but you can bet Ill keep their heads down.:D

B.Mac, Love that Rude man she runs 145MPH down hill
with a tail wind, 1 person and a quart of fuel in the tank.;)

Jim

B.Leonard
07-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Oh man thats funny! LOL! :) :) :)

That boat does look sweet!

-BL

Doubledog
07-17-2002, 01:45 AM
A few buddies. DD

Doubledog
07-17-2002, 01:46 AM
1 more

Doubledog
07-17-2002, 01:46 AM
last one

B.Leonard
07-17-2002, 07:53 AM
You lucky dog! :D Where do I sign up for the search and rescue op with your buddies? ;) I surrender! LOL! :D Grenade launcher and all... oh my... I need to catch my breath. :D

Let me guess 100yd range with the belt fed? Looks like 600yd. Is that an M60 or an HK? Rip a few belts for your Scream & Fly buddies!

-BL

Doubledog
07-17-2002, 09:09 AM
The one that the female soldiers are holding is of course your regular issue m-16, and the other is the M203 grenade launcher/ or the Thumper as we call it.

The one where I'm firing in the foxhole is a M249 (SAW; Squad operated Automatic Weapon). She's fun to fire but it fires an m16 round via linked ammo or mag. Like I said, she's fun to play around with but wouldn't want to use it for knockdown power. Give me a 60 anyday,,, 30 cal round vs 22 cal??? No way.

I've got tones of photos I'd like to post but I don't have net connection at home and have to drop everything on disk and bring to work. Ever seen a 50 cal tracer round at night? Looks big as a softball!

Out, DD

B.Leonard
07-17-2002, 09:42 AM
I hear ya. Tumble and roll after 600yds. Gotta have the tight twist barrel for the heavy 69grn bullets. No recoil though! I had a Colt competition AR15, I loved getting strapped into that with a full mag, iron sights 3" groups at 200 yds just playing around.

If I bought another I'd get the Armalight AR10 in .308 no doubt.

-BL

Doubledog
07-17-2002, 09:52 AM
When I get out of this service commitment (who knows when, cause I kinda like it) it seems as though I've found me a shooting buddy.

When I was a kid, my pops would take me down to the creek and we'd shoot cans and such. then after a while it came down to who could knock the pine cone out of the tree and so forth. He taught me all my breathing techniques and patience.

Bird hunting was my favorite for a long time and as a family we'd go hit skeet. As of now, all I own is a 22 Marlin, but would love to get into high power distance shooting. In my field, if you like to shoot, you have to beg or wait for your qualification (qualify once a year on your assigned weapon). I beg.

Shot in competition against the Germans and won, so maybe I'm not that bad of a firer after all. Have a good one, time to go get some chow. DD

H2Onut
07-17-2002, 09:57 AM
BANG BANG BANG

Extreme flat trajectory to about 300 yards, then drops like a mushroom anchor. Got kicked off the range with this, knowcked down the 300 yard gong with open sights, guy came and took all my ammo, OOOPS, wonder what kinda shells them were :confused: :eek:

Talon2.5
07-17-2002, 02:41 PM
dont pull that out while sniffing fumes!!!