PDA

View Full Version : iPod to Amp questions for the stereo guru's

jallen355
03-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I want to install a plug for an iPod in my boat and wire it directly to an amp as I do not want a head unit nor the hole I'd have to cut for one in my dash. Besides, I have several amps and speakers around the shoop, but no head units. With that having been said, what are the do's and don'ts of this install. I know there are receptacles that can be dash mounted for plugging in a mini stereo cable from the iPod. these adaptors have the male RCA plugs on the back but are intended to be plugged into the Aux INPUT of a head unit. Can these cables simply be plugged into an amp or will an iPod over drive a "low input" amplifier? If this is not the proper way to accomplish the setup I'm looking for, is there some other sort of adaptor made the purpose. Here's one example of the adaptor I'm speaking of.

http://marineradiodirect.com/catalog/polyplanar-ic35pm-audio-adapter-ipod-satellite-univers-p-355.html

Specialized P4-12
03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
buy a new stero with a plug in it.... or buy the radio adapter... all set.. easy beans..

flabum1017
03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes, plug it directly into the Amp...the IPod has a volume control. Just get an adapter for the IPod that has RCA outs.

afr
03-06-2008, 07:24 PM
hey i got astero the other day as present
its a super tuner cd player
whats some good speakers theses days
i have had bass 6x9 those were good

jallen355
03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
buy a new stero with a plug in it.... or buy the radio adapter... all set.. easy beans..

I understand that a stereo w/an aux-in would be plug and play, but I have no use for a stereo other then to plug in an iPod. Why spend the $$'s on one and then have tp chop my dash for an install....

What is a "radio adaptor"??

jallen355
03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Yes, plug it directly into the Amp...the IPod has a volume control. Just get an adapter for the IPod that has RCA outs.

Isn't there something about low line inputs on amps. For instance the RCA outputs on a stereo are "low level" outs where the speaker wires coming out of a stereo are "powered" or "high level" outputs. I would consider an Mp3 player to have a similar high level output. Couldn't this damaged an amplifier if plugged into the low level RCA input?

stvhelm
03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
just adjust the gains on the amplifier no? ive done this before it didnt hurt the amp

pyro
03-07-2008, 07:12 AM
The two above posts are correct. No problem with the mis-match, as long as the volume level on the iPod is kept reasonable there shouldn't be any distortion.

We sell a (10 foot 1/8" stereo to RCA L+R) cable at the music store for this purpose, I think they's around 6 or 7 bucks. I'm sure Best Buy and Radio shack get $20 or $25 for the same thing :rolleyes:

TeamHART2
03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
I run a RCA to a 1/8 plug adaptor from my ipod to my amp RCA input, I just adjust the gain on the amp so mid level on my ipod is about normal volume, then i control volume with the ipod, might be able to solder in one of those variable resistors like they have on some headphones to keep from having problems with the ipod turned up to high. just a thought

jallen355
03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Alright guys. Thanks for the advice. Seems like a 1/8" stereo to RCA is all that is needed. Now if I could just find the time and decent weather to glas in my new stringers and floor I'll get 'er done.

Got the day off and it's cold and rainy...

bigbore
03-08-2008, 04:10 PM
The sound quality u get from n ipod aint the best,far from a cd.

flabum1017
03-09-2008, 10:12 AM
The IPod has no amp in it so the output level is very low, almost as low as line level that would come out of a stereo.

bigbore
03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
A good head-unit is almost digital,an i-pod is dfinitly analog,compared 2 a head unit.the difference is enormace.

merctech5591
03-12-2008, 02:35 PM
i have an ipod directly to an amp in my boat.. sound quality is great.. u will need to adjust the gain .. radio's are a thing of the past..

Riverman
03-12-2008, 03:15 PM
A good head-unit is almost digital,an i-pod is dfinitly analog,compared 2 a head unit.the difference is enormace.An ipod is analog? :confused: :confused: :confused:

bigbore
03-13-2008, 04:07 AM
I'm telling ya,went through that already,guarenteed the sound quality differece is huge.

pyro
03-13-2008, 06:09 AM
A good head-unit is almost digital,an i-pod is dfinitly analog,compared 2 a head unit.the difference is enormace.

digital, analog, what? The only analog components in an iPod are the charging circuitry and the small integrated headphone amp inside.
What the heck are you talking about?

pyro
03-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Cable like this should work with most players using a standard headphone jack. tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve are split out to mono RCA left and right.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3476/dsc04952vk1.jpg

TeamHART2
03-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Dont worry about the sound quality either, the quality of the sound from an ipod will mostly rely on the quality of the mp3s you have but if they are pretty decent (like bought from itunes) you will get the same quality of sound you would from most generic cd players. In a boat setup chances are that the speakers and amp will limit your sound quality a lot more than having an amp or cd player.... now if you want to direct hookup an 8 track..... different story.

Riverman
03-13-2008, 09:58 AM
I find the I get the best mp3 results by rippin' 'em off a CD.

merccoop
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I have this cord:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-30GB-60GB-IPOD-VIDEO-AV-TO-DOCK-CABLE-RCA-AUDIO_W0QQitemZ140213375857QQihZ004QQcategoryZ48680QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I found they work best. especially because having the headphone jack on can wear out the jack afterawhile from repeatedly plugging/unplugging and from bending forces on the cord/jack. The dock connector is much nicer because it locks in, and it 'seems' to sound better. (that might just be me though.) But, I don't have any experience wiring it straight into an amp... interesting thought... I might have to try it!

pyro
03-13-2008, 11:04 AM
cool, that's a cheap deal. ;)

jallen355
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
No kiddin' The good ole buck doesn't buy much anymore...

bigbore
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Plug a ipod into your cd n then play a cd.:cool:

TeamHART2
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
lotta that depends on your cd player, the way the cd player hooks up to your ipod, the quality of connection between the cd player and the ipod and the file quality on the ipod big bore Ive done both (either a direct connect to the amp from the ipod, or a cd player) and got rid of the CD player. Theres no difference between a high quality digital file and a cd track... thats what they use to make the CD, except that the CD can skip and be physically damaged.

Riverman
03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
There is no doubt that a CD will have a better sound. Mp3 files are compressed and cropped up the ying yang - just compare the file sizes between the two. I argee that on the boat the ipod direct to the amp would be the hot setup though.

pyro
03-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Going through a head and going direct to the amp, will each have different tone, because the head unit has EQ's and voicing. This is the advantage of going through the head unit, you have more control over your sound.

jallen355
03-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Going through a head and going direct to the amp, will each have different tone, because the head unit has EQ's and voicing. This is the advantage of going through the head unit, you have more control over your sound.

Now there's something that has yet to be presented and a good point, at that. Hmmmm.. I wonder if that old 9 band Sony pre-amp EQ in my electronics storage box is any good. Shouldn't be any different plugging into it than dirtectly to the amp, right?

skydog
03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
The sound quality u get from n ipod aint the best,far from a cd.

Boy so so true!! Far from CD is right!!!!

Skydog

jallen355
08-10-2009, 12:01 PM
After bench testing my ipod plugged directly to an amplifier with a pair of boxed 6x9 3 ways, I decided that sound quality was less than I expected due to not having any control over bass and treble.

With that said, I went ahead and mounted one of Kenwwod's new Marine am/fm/cd/mps players inside of the glove box along with a 5 channel-1000W amp, kicker 12" sub in a custom built/upholstered bulkhead under the front deck and 4-6.5 Alpine 2 way type S speakers. Yea. Kind of did it up so to speak. Sounds great...inside the garage, anyway.

I just have one loose end to tie up. A hidden am/fm antenna. What's the hot ticket. I've done some looking around and tried to find reviews on the ones I've seen. Everything from basic Di-pole antennas to amplified hidden antennas. I want to install one under the deck up front. May not get alot of use out of FM, but would like to have it as an option.

wca_tim
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
aftre reading the thread above... we plug the ipod into the alpine head unit in the car very often... if you rip the cds at lowest compression (largest file) they sound every bit as good as a new cd. the eq settings and adjustments on the (relatively inexpensive) head unit work fine and it sounds grat through amps and polk audio speakers... going to mildly upgrade the speakers in the car and put the car speakers in the boat... still not sure on head units though. definately planning to put the older ipod in the boat for tunes though... love it in the car. and yuea, downloaded mp3s at default settings don't sound nearly as clear...

Jacob
08-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Now there's something that has yet to be presented and a good point, at that. Hmmmm.. I wonder if that old 9 band Sony pre-amp EQ in my electronics storage box is any good. Shouldn't be any different plugging into it than dirtectly to the amp, right?

I think your on to something :D:D:D Adjust the signal before sending it through the AMP. Sounds right to me. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jallen355
08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Oh yea, I'm more than pleased with the sound qaulity at this point. This system rocks. Since I got away without cutting any holes in the dash, I'll live with the additional weight sacrificed by all the components. Conservativly, I figure I've added somewhere close to 100 lbs. Most of which wold be deep under the foredeck with the bulkhead/amp/sub/and wiring. Anyway, I finished looming and tidied up all the wiring last night. Just need to add a hidden am/fm antenna now.

So.. any suggestions on a decent hidden antenna.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/jallen355/Boating/Checkmate%20restore/StereoInstall007.jpg

sho305
08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Back in the day we would just mount a plain auto whip antenna inside the top of the bow. Today knowing more about it, I would try to get one of those short car antennas, and mount it high and vertical in the bow or dash area. Whip antennas usually work better if vertical.

The iPod is analog because music is coming out of it. If it had a digital link it would not. However I'm not so sure quality is that much different than a HU if the same file is played.

Some EQs have a 1/8 input jack, I would think that would be the ticket but you guys ought to know more. I have yet to use my mp3 in a car I don't have time to rip stuff too it even plus I have to find the right adapter.