PDA

View Full Version : preping fiberglass for Imron

wildcat
06-20-2002, 01:16 AM
Anyone ever tried prepping a fiberglass hull by sandblasting it?

Wile E. Coyote
06-20-2002, 06:41 AM
I work with sandblast equipment on a regular basis. The media you choose is important, true sandblast (glass media) REMOVES MATERIAL, that is to say, after your finished with the glass hull it most probably will NOT be smooth, or flat. There are media that will work on fiberglass, (walnut shells, and some others), but there is a steep learning curve. I have seen videos of blast equipment stripping beer cans with no distortion, so it can be done.
If you choose to do this the only advice I can offer is reduce the pressure, and keep the nozzel moving (relatively fast). Sandblast will etch the surface of the fiberglass if passed over lightly, but it may be difficult to achieve consistent results. Good luck

Carter Powell
06-24-2002, 04:06 PM
I think that if you just sand the glass with 220 grit paper and then prime with DuPont Corlar Epoxy primer and then sand with 400 dry your Imron will stick till the end of time. Dupont Corlar primer is the BEST primer available for Imron! It also sands well and will hold on to that Imron forever.

Good Luck , Carter

LaserModVee
06-25-2002, 12:49 PM
I saw a post on OSO forums where a guy media blasted his boat and hosed it up. Now, I have no idea what he used as media, and it may have been something way too abrasive, or applied improperly, but that is what I have heard.

If you choose to sand; I sanded the "shine" off of my gel with 320 then epoxy primered it. From there, wetsand with P600. Then paint. That is what the Sikkens rep. told us to do and he knew of several hundred boats done the same way with Sikkens and they have lasted forever.