PDA

View Full Version : 89 S-15 Jimmy 4x4, 4.3 EFI ....Should I get a flex fan?

Arizona Hotboater
06-19-2002, 06:16 PM
I have an 89 S-15 Jimmy 4x4, 4.3 EFI. When its over 100 degrees outside, (like now) it runs a bit hot at idle (200-220*) and the AC blows warm until moving again. Even at 95* outside the AC blows warm at idle even though the engine temp stays at 190-195*.

I have the stock fan and clutch. Should I get a flex fan? I dont see sufficient room to install a pusher electric fan in front of the AC condenser unless I get 2 small ones to go on either side of the latch support. Any suggestions? The truck is all stock, looks and runs like new, and I rebuilt the engine and flushed the cooling system.

Where can I get a fan...website.

Thanks,
AZH

Rickracer
06-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Your S-10 should be a serpentine drive, fan turns backwards. There aren't that many viable choices out there in the way of flex fans for reverse rotation. I would spend the money for a good quality THERMAL fan clutch, the parts store may offer you a centrifugal, but you want a thermal, if there's a HD option and it will fit, go for it. In your climate, you need all the help you can get, and OEM fan clutches are only good for a few years. You'll usually get about 3 or 4 good years out of a quality aftermarket replacement. Feel down the front of your current one, where the bi-metallic spring is, and if you feel an oily or greasy residue (probably dusty too), then it's leaking the silicone fluid that drives it, and needs to be replaced. I doubt you'd be happy with the performance of a flex fan. Just my $.02.....

Arizona Hotboater
06-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Rick, my fan clutch has 217,000 miles on it, but seams to be fine. It doesnt free wheel when turned by hand. That is it can be turned but it clearly has tension on it and spins with the motor. Its doesnt continue to spin when the motor is shut off. I had already ordered a flex fan from JEGS. I just called and cancelled it. Thanks for keeping me from making that mistake. Jegs has reverse flex fans but they are out of stock.

I read something in a 4x4 magazine that flex fans provide a lot more air flow at idle than an OEM fan and clutch. Thats what I need...more flow at idle. Hmmmmm

Marc

Rickracer
06-19-2002, 08:13 PM
And I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really sure your fan is OK. Warm up the vehicle thoroughly, then shut it off and have an assistant start it up, being ready to shut it off immediately. If you can hold it from turning easily, it's toast. An easier way would be to do the check I told ya about in the first response, if it's leaking, it's not going to work properly. You'll spend about $75 to $90 for a good quality replacement.

Arizona Hotboater
06-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Rick, you try to hold this fan and it will chop your hand off. You could put a stick in it with the engine running and the stick would be cut in half or it would damage the fan. The clutch doesnt slip. You can grab and turn it, but there is clearly a lot of resistance.

I think I will get an electric fan and and 86 the fan and clutch.

Thanks,
Marc

Euroski
06-19-2002, 08:48 PM
My 88 S10 4.3 has the same problem in that the clutch fan doesn't kick in until around 220 but I never did anything after selling the Scarab(4700lbs tow) and now with the Euroski. Still thinking of switching the fans over to electric with adjustable thermostat set to 200 degrees. But since you have AC the fan should be wired to run the fans anytime the AC clutch is on. Checkout www.summitracing.com

Arizona Hotboater
06-19-2002, 08:53 PM
Thats what I was thinking Euroski. The AC and fan wired together. If I could get a pusher fan to mount in front of the condenser and keep the existing fan, that would work well. I checked Jegs, and will now try summit.

Thanks again,
Marc AZH

Euroski
06-19-2002, 08:58 PM
I don't have the room infront! Could just install duel fans and remove the factory fan.

Arizona Hotboater
06-19-2002, 09:17 PM
I think youre right. I can fit a 10" fan on either side of the center latch support but maybe I oughta just 86 the stock fan and put a 20" puller on instead.

H2Onut
06-19-2002, 09:49 PM
I added an electric fan, it drop temp 30 degrees, Also important is a FAN SHROUD , if ya aint got one, GET ONE.

This is a tip from BL, use that pet safe anti-freeze, it absorbs more heat because of the chemical that is used for the base.

That should take car of it.

Arizona Hotboater
06-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Hey Nut,
I do have the shroud on it, I think its just the intense weather here. 100* here is hotter to a car than 100* in say, florida, because the streets radiate a temp of about 140*+ . No moisture in the air to cool them. You can literally fry an egg on the pavement.

I will go with an electric. What vehicle do you have this fan in, an S-10?

Thanks,
Marc AZH

Rickracer
06-20-2002, 07:54 AM
It was marginal at best. I wound up going to a bit bigger radiator, a shroud, and a Flexalite 418 plastic engine driven fan. That setup allowed a nearly 600hp roller cam bigblock with 2 1/8" headers on it to idle in traffic in Florida summertime weather at 180* to 200*, and doing so in a tiny engine compartment. There are several coolant additive products out there that will drop your temp by 10* to 20*, I don't remember all of the names, but "Water Wetter" is one of them. If you can get a pusher fan in behind the grille, that would be a good idea, but I would NOT remove the OEM fan setup. I still maintain that a OEM fan clutch with that many miles on it cannot be functioning properly. Maybe it pulls fine, but not until the higher temps you are seeing. Another solution would be to find either a larger diameter crank pulley, or a smaller fan/WP pulley, to speed up the fan a bit. I just don't want to see you waste a bunch of money on stuff that won't work.

H2Onut
06-20-2002, 08:05 AM
I pull a 27ft airstream with it, going through mountains and 100 degree weather. Under a heavy load with air on going up hill it would pull about 230, with fan about 200. I jsut used 1 12inch fan as a pusher, In front of the radiator, I also mounted it where the trans cooler sits next to the radiator to aid in moving air over both.

PS I turn it on B4 starting truck, sounds like a turbine whirling up, really gets peoples attention...hehehehe

Arizona Hotboater
06-20-2002, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone.
AZH