PDA

View Full Version : Race vs. Poker Run

halveb
06-19-2002, 12:33 PM
I looking seriously at purchasing some protection in the form quality life jackets. Now that I am able to go 90 mph or more and recognize that I can't control all the conditions all the time I would like some insurance.

I know many of you will say just get the best and be done with it but I would like to understand what the differences are between these two types of life jackets. I have a lifeline catalog coming and have looked at the Security website but can honestly say that I don't know what the advantages or disavantages of one over the other are.

I did read BKs description of the capsule jacket and what its intended purpose was and why it wouldn't be appropriate in an open cockpit boat. I'm looking for something similar comparing and contrasting these two types of jackets.

All responses are appreciated.

Thanks.

Firestarter
06-19-2002, 12:46 PM
I have both a Security and a Lifeline. I am not sure what model my security jacket is, but My lifeline is the "offshore" model. I don't wear my security, I feel a better (more secure) in my lifeline ( I let my friends wear the security----ya ya I am an ass, but it is better than nothing).
Both the security and lifline have similar features, but the lifeline is A LOT more substancial in the padding department.

Good luck.

RT

BK
06-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Back in the mid 1990's we bought a couple "High Performance" jackets from Lifeline. These were about $150 cheaper than the standard Lifeline racing jacket. (Lifeline Racing OPC/OFFSHORE style). But they had tough outer material (to prevent tearing upon impact), leg anchors (To prevent jacket from being ripped away) and heavy duty zippers, built to withstand high speed water contact.

They were also substantially lighter, more comfy, and offered much less rib cage protection than the real Racing lifejackets.

We used these only for under 90mph family outings.

The RACE jackets are designed for high impacts --- the padding in the front offers extra protection for your ribs, lungs and heart from serious damage in case you get tossed out at high speed. There is ballistic material in both the front and the back. They are built to float you 'face-up' in case of unconsciousness.

Hitting anything on the way out really hurts (and during a high-speed hook, spin-out, stuff etc, you'll most likely get slammed very hard against something on your way out). In these situations, you'll be very thankful for the extra chest padding!

I've seen people go right through a wood or fiberglass dash with a racing jacket on -- and still end up with a cracked rib or two! Imagine what the injuries would have been if they DIDN'T have the extra "bulky" protection!

I'm not sure if a "Poker Run" jacket is the same as our "High Perf" jackets or not...

My advice is to call the manufacturers directly. They'll give you the straight scoop on what to expect, and what protections you give up by buying the lesser jacket. SRP and Lifeline are extremely dedicated to protecting you - the high perf boater and racer.

I dont have the number for SRP, but call Bill Fauntleroy at Lifeline: (928) 669-9241

halveb
06-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Do the High Performance jackets not have the floating face up feature?

Sounds like lifeline is the way to go. There are some used ones for sale on the board in supposedly good condition (2 to 3 years old). In your experience are the jackets still good after that period of time? The price being asked is only about $125 off what a new one costs.

I would want any jacket to have the face-up float feature as if you are ejected from a boat at over 60 miles an hour there is a good chance that even if you are conscious you may be so disoriented you wouldn't right yourself in time.

Thanks for the replies, I know it will make my wife happier to know I have one (especially if I wear it)!!! :D