PDA

View Full Version : Which camera should I buy?

ress453
02-19-2008, 01:44 AM
I got my first Kodak digital camera 3 years ago. It has been good to me but now I am beyond frustrated with the long delay in between taking shots. I have missed so many "kodak moments" because of the delay. I think it is time to buy a new digital camera. Maybe Canon is my first choice
I found two better online
Canon EOS 350D (http://www.dealstudio.com/viewtopic.php?t=34950&ru=290)
Canon PowerShot G9 (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000V1VG5G)
How do you think of it? Do any of you have some other good suggestions? Thanks in advance.

492slayer
02-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I bought the Canon Powershot SX100 IS at Sam's club for $267. It has 8 mega pixels and 10X digital zoom. It is an awesome camera. Unless you are shooting professional, this one has all the features you need. Put in a 2GB SD card and you can shoot about 600 high resolution pictures without downloading, or up to 4300 at thumbnail size:) It also will take a lot of live video with that size card.

pyro
02-19-2008, 03:12 PM
The better point and shoot cameras like the Canon G9, can take really good pictures, they're easy to use, they have awesome optical zoom capability, (digital zoom means NOTHING, folks) but they're much bigger and heavier than a pocket cam like the Canon SD750/SD1000 ($200-250), and the shots you take most of the time (people/objects 10-20 feet away) are going to look about the same. The G9 is a GREAT camera if you want the longer zoom, and if you don't mind the extra size/weight. It has lots of bells and whistles you will probably never use.

The SX100 IS has good zoom and image stabilization.

If you want an SLR, great! Choose your level of features, and lenses. You'll probably still want a pocket cam later, for travel and such.

Regarding the DELAY between pictures, this is a widely mis-understood topic. Any digital camera has several types of "delay" in its operation:
1. power-on delay. How long it takes to open the lens and prepare to shoot.
2. metering/focus delay. How long it takes to measure light and auto-focus.
3. shutter lag response to shutter button (usually less than 1/4 second)
4. writing delay. Time needed to save image to the memory card before shooting again.

If you aim at your subject, then HOLD the shutter button down HALFWAY, the camera will pre-focus and pre-meter the shot, usually accompanied by a BEEP. When you push the shutter button fully, the camera will now shoot almost instantaneously. If the lighting conditions or subject distance changes before you shoot, release and re-focus again before attemting to shoot. This technique is the same with all digital cameras, and eliminates the metering/focusing delay, except in those action situations...

SLR's have little or no power-up delay. Focusing is faster. Writing delay is eliminated by utilizing a memory buffer. This allows for fast "burst" shooting. Many lens choices are available, of course. Then there's the size/weight/cost issue...

hsbob
02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
those camera are good but will not help you shutter lag that much. you need to consider the nikon 40 with a general lense. that will reduce the shutter lag to almost zero. im sure there is a canon slr in that same price range but dont know the name or number.

slr is the way you want to go, to reduce the shutter lag.

492slayer
02-19-2008, 04:15 PM
If you are thinking about a digital SLR type camera, you can figure with a couple of lenses to be in the $1500 range for a good one. you might find the base camera for $500-1000, but expect to start throwing more money out for the other goodies you'll need.

pyro
02-19-2008, 04:37 PM
If you're thinking of buying an SLR, do your homework first! Find out what each model's capabilities AND limitations are, so you're not wasting money.

Trippin
02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
:eek: We've have always had great performance and easy uploading with our Kodaks. I don't know anything about the Canon stuff but I do know that the Kodak software sure makes it real easy to upload the pictures to the computer. I've had bad luck with Fuji's, stay away from that product.

pyro
02-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Kodaks have the "ease of use" advantage, especially for old folks and non-techy people.

I've used a couple of the Fuji's, and I think their controls, button layout, and user menus leave a bit to be desired. Buttons are tiny. They have little "tool tip" instructions that pop up on the display to help the user along and explain features, instead of just icons that appear and disappear. That's kinda cool.

The Canons have ergonomic, user-friendly, well-engineered controls. I tried out a whole bunch of the pocket-sized cameras at the stores, and found the Canon models SD1000/SD750 (and up) have the least lag/delay and fastest start-up time of any of the brands and models I tested.

The deck-of-cards-size Canon SD1000 has a viewfinder and display, like most cameras. The newer SD750 has a HUGE display and NO viewfinder, and more ergonomic buttons, utilizing a playback "button" instead of a play/shoot switch, so it goes back to shooting mode if you tap the shutter button. I got one of these for my girlfriend for Christmas. It rocks!

-Chad

hsbob
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
hay guy remember his request was for short shutter delay. all the point and shot cameras have delay and the longer the x power of the lens the longer the delay. my wifes pentax took a picture after my gson hit the water form a diving board. my nikon d1x took 4 pictures before he hit the water. the only way to get that reaction is slr cameras.

pyro
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Agreed!

If you want fast autofocus and instant shutter response, and don't mind the size and weight, dSLR is the only way to go. The Canon 350D or Nikon D40 will get you there. The lenses that come in the "kits" are somewhat limited, but there's always room to grow...