PDA

View Full Version : Im not crazy silent choice out board ?

yachter55
02-09-2008, 10:58 AM
my neighbors are complaining about a donzi thats too loud on our dock.what will they say about my 2.5 open exhaust:eek: Im wondering if anyone has made a removable muffler fer a champ mid.I got a few ideas but experiance is always better.thanks

jphii
02-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I think it's gfinch that has a Supertrapp muffler on his Taylor mid. Pretty trick setup.

Edit: Just fouind the picture:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9696/allpictures32607844514kj4.jpg

1BadAction
02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
my neighbors are complaining about a donzi thats too loud on our dock.what will they say about my 2.5 open exhaust:eek:

who cares, tell them to bite your ass and go hug a manatee. :D

Hottrucks
02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
alot of guys have block off plates for them

SatisfAction
02-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I second 1Bad's response. LOL

gfinch
02-10-2008, 12:30 AM
I think it's gfinch that has a Supertrapp muffler on his Taylor mid. Pretty trick setup.

Edit: Just fouind the picture:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9696/allpictures32607844514kj4.jpg

It's still fairly loud, butt I've had only one person say it's too loud, he's in the same bass fishing club(baby). Most say it sounds really good though I've never heard it since I'm driving it. At the WAR07 it was nick named "Sack Of Cats"

Thank you Wayne Taylor!

SFRacing
02-10-2008, 06:02 AM
It's still fairly loud, butt I've had only one person say it's too loud, he's in the same bass fishing club(baby). Most say it sounds really good though I've never heard it since I'm driving it. At the WAR07 it was nick named "Sack Of Cats"

Thank you Wayne Taylor!

gfinch, how exactly does that work?

gfinch
02-10-2008, 01:27 PM
The engine is a 3.0 OMC. The center section is a Wayne Taylor 16". The exaust usually exits turned down like the Mercs. He does have a plate to fit and lessen the noise.
Since I live on the left coast and I'm worried about the sound police we came up with this. I already had the SuperTrap on my other OMC center section. He made the adaptor to fit them togeather.
The center section has a curved plate to direct the majority of the exaust out thru the muffler.

yachter55
02-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Thats a hot set up. Im up at the crack of dawn [some guys know her}and thats the only time we get flat water on lake michigan. we live on our boat in a huge marina.Its a ten min ride to the opening.There is nothing worse then a bunch of hung over boaters shooting flare guns at my head. So I wish to keep the peace.So my next question is do you have to do any adjustments to the motor with the muffler on. Is back pressure an issue.do you have a part # for that muffler? did you make the connection with alum or ss ? thanks guys.be nice to me im frail but my boat wants to kick some a##

Carter Powell
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I will take some pictures tomorrow of a trap door style exhaust plate that I built for my offshore mid. It works on two hinges on the bottom and uses a spring on the inside of the exhaust snout to keep the carbon fiber door closed at low speed and then allows the door to open gradually as the exhaust pressure builds. I think it's pretty trick.

Best wishes, Carter Powell

Carter Powell
08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Here is a trap door that I made from a sheet of carbon fiber and then inserted a piece of flat rubber stock on top of the carbon to make a seal on the inside of the exhaust snout.
There are two brass hinges (home depot) that attach the trap door to the bottom of the exhaust housing and a one inch diameter spring that fits to the door and to a thru bolt mounted to the exhaust snout. The spring keeps enough tension on the door to keep it closed at slower speeds or untill the motor is reved a little. Springs can be changed to alter the point at which the door opens. This thing has been bullet proof for the last three years, just an idea which seems to work for me. Hope it might help.

Best wishes, Carter Powell

Carter Powell
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Page two

JP Love
08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Page twoWhen you close the trap exhaust go to true the prop???

Carter Powell
08-10-2008, 07:16 PM
About 90 percent of the exhaust is going thru the prop when just idling around. If you go full throttle it will open up untill you are on plane then start closing back up untill you are really on the throttle. At wide open throttle it will be open about two inches. It is amazing how quiet it is when idling around. The snout is usually underwater when idling. I'm quite amazed how well this has worked out for the last three years.

Carter

JP Love
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Cool...........

yachter55
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
thanks for the posts,you really did a great job.Im going to get ready to plan my new exhaust.Is there a reason why you used brass over alum on the hinges?

Carter Powell
08-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Brass was used because thats what I found at Home Depot! Been good so far!

Carter

benski
09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
You can get about any hinge size, style and material from McMaster-Carr. Their website: mcmaster.com. Just thought I'd throw that in to the mix. Whew! I'm exhausted. Thanks, Carter for the alternative engineering!:cheers:

Rob'Z
09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
While my solution is not for noise level control (nor is it pretty) it is basically the same.

I have a very hard time getting my 21' Checkmate on plane with the 29 chopper so I made this adjustable plate to help the situation. When the plate is covered it forces the exhaust out through the LU and around the solid hub and allows the prop to cavitate just enough for the engine to get into the powerband and up on plane. Then I open the plate up and get full power/sound. It is actuated by a pneumatic ram and is currently pressurized using a squeeze bulb.

This is the 'prototype' if you will. It is purely function at this point. It will be much more aesthetic when I build the final piece. It will be pressurized by a small compressed air cylinder and the ram will be attatched to the side of the mid rather than the longish thing attatched to the motor mount bolts.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Boat%20pics/exhaustplate004.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Boat%20pics/exhaustplate006.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Boat%20pics/exhaustplate007.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Boat%20pics/exhaustplate005.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Boat%20pics/exhaustplate009.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/RobZ90TT/Boat%20pics/exhaustplate008.jpg

Hottrucks
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
how about a cable that when trimmed in it will be closed then when trimmed out it will be open????

Rob'Z
09-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Not a terrible idea but I like to have more precise control.

frank jackson
12-14-2008, 09:26 PM
if you are using a foot throttle use the hand throttle to control a flap . Or add a second small shift leaver they use in some performance boats . I cant remember who made them , old age setting in .

superboat24michael
01-27-2010, 06:33 PM
:iagree:your not hanging out at the dock with the boat running all day. its only to warm up . tell them to go scratch!!!!!!!!!!

Liberator*21
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Page two

I love the backyard engineering that shows up on S&F, this is really well thoughtout, great job on the "Trap Door Flapper"......:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

VELOCITY 3.6GT
10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Buy those complaining neighbors ear plugs its alot cheaper.

gfinch
10-30-2010, 01:38 PM
220875I get very few people that complain to me. Well, no one actually came up to me and said it's to loud. I did talk to one of the lake rangers and he said he heard me giving everyone at the lake an early morning wake up call. Then told me about the 105mph ride he got in a friends flat bottom.

Carter Powell
11-26-2010, 03:17 PM
The trap door idea has served me well. It stays shut when in reverse. Really doesn't open untill you really get hard on the throttle. For just cruising around you don't even know it is there until you get the revs way up. It has been working great since 2004. The way I designed it I have different springs to control the opening.

Carter Powell

40hpmariner
12-06-2010, 11:00 AM
hey guys thought up a couple of ideas for this thread and thought id put them on paper... the first on i think is the best because if you didnt like it i thought i would be more inxpensive to replace the man and exhaust plate? than spending alot of money if your lower unit breaks...in the first and second pic there are actuators so you can turn it on and off but thin the first pic the acuator would be attatched straight to the pan...if this could fit under a hood ( i know it could fit under mine) but not others i think it could work well.... let me know what you think...

terry taylor
11-11-2011, 11:13 AM
hey guys thought up a couple of ideas for this thread and thought id put them on paper... the first on i think is the best because if you didnt like it i thought i would be more inxpensive to replace the man and exhaust plate? than spending alot of money if your lower unit breaks...in the first and second pic there are actuators so you can turn it on and off but thin the first pic the acuator would be attatched straight to the pan...if this could fit under a hood ( i know it could fit under mine) but not others i think it could work well.... let me know what you think...
223197223196223195-------------Is that a cat scan of your brain thanks

specboatops
11-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I know this is an older thread but I remember John Tiger Jr. had an article years back in Hot Boat on one with a cable that opened and shut, seemed to work well and the photo's that documented what he did showed a nice design, might want to pick his brain if he doesn't see this thread. Just a thought.

Liberator*21
06-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Just thought I'd share the mod I did to my o'l 250 EFI mid section........ZOOMIES, sounded pretty darn good. Always had fun starting it up and aiming the pipes at someone on the dock........they'd get a quick splash out of those pipes..........LOL.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/250EFIMidSection.jpg

yachter55
08-15-2012, 05:21 PM
That is a head turner.

rgsauger
03-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Just thought I'd share the mod I did to my o'l 250 EFI mid section........ZOOMIES, sounded pretty darn good. Always had fun starting it up and aiming the pipes at someone on the dock........they'd get a quick splash out of those pipes..........LOL.

Bitchin'!!!!!!!