PDA

View Full Version : Challenger/Super Boat Transom Woes

Quick Rick
06-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Hi Guys! I am in the process of refinishing a 21' super boat. The boat previously had twin outboard motors on it. It was remodified to accept a single 225 hp Yamaha, which I currently have removed from the boat while refinishing. The previous owner had a transom jack on it, which is no longer there. When I removed the reinforcement plate on the back of the transom. I found five different sets of holes. HELP!!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHICH HOLES ARE THE RIGHT ONES!!!!
The top set of motor holes were mounted only 1 inch down from the top of the transom. Needless to say, it crushed the snot out of the transom.
Guys, do you think this would be insane? I would like to mount a transom jack using holes which are 5 inches down. The upper bolts are approximately 11 1/2 inches apart and the lower bolts are approx 9 7/8 inches apart, with a distance of 6 3/8ths inches inbetween. I would reinforcethe transom from the inside with either aluminium or stainless brackets. I need ideas or pictures as to how to reinforce!!!
Any ideas on set back?
Would I have any problem with vertical lift?
What transom jacks would you recommend?

Rickracer
06-16-2002, 10:43 AM
I hand fabbed this, with the help of a buddy in a machine shop. I think it will make the back of this boat stronger than ever. I would go for a Detwiler jackplate. They come in 6", 8", 10", and 12", both hydraulic and 2 types of manual. :cool:

Rickracer
06-16-2002, 10:49 AM
I'd have a Detwiler too, except I got a great deal on the Bob's used a few years ago. And if I went back one more inch, I'd need new cables. I think I'll wait till I can afford to go Sea Star Pro.