PDA

View Full Version : E-tec advertising is absolutely shameless

Liqui-Fly
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess Evinrude has quit on trying to cmpete or even keep up. They have gone to plan B....deception and praying on the ignorant. I just wacthed about 4 of their videos on youtube and I must say infomercials have nothing on BomBbarderierre.

Riverratt
01-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Fly just admit the fact that you wish you would have waited for the 300 etec. Maybe you can return the 300xs since it is still in the box.

SFRacing
01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
got any links?

Carlson150XS
01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
They don't test against any Merc Optimax or Yam HPDI. Just pig 4 strokes. The people that watch these don't know the difference. I've had them tell me how the Etec crushed the Mercs and Yami's.
The ad should be titled 2 strokes vs. 4 strokes.

Backfire
01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
BRP's advertising is aimed at the major market share 4/s engines, Merc ain't it, except Verado, a minor share at this point. Yamaha 4/s 150, 225, 250 and others that are "all the rage" 4/s, getting most of the press. Nothing magical about a high torque 2/s pulling a low torque 4/s backwards. Nothing unusual about more horse power out running less horse power. If Merc wants some of E-TEC press, all they have to do is pull it backwards!
Backfire ;)

E-tec1
01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
remember when everyone was gonna go 4 strk???? they proved the 2 strk was still viable, quit bashin them, they kept 2 strks alive,Lets just be glad of that, and theres performance out there, whats mercs hope for the FUTURE of drag racing???????maybe just old parts layin around????

mirage243
01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
I run a Mercury, simply for the economic factor. I love what BRP is doing for the two-stroke though. I wish the other manufacturer's would step up to the plate.

bassin10
01-18-2008, 07:36 PM
e-tech is nothing but lots of low performance and lots of hype.

afr
01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
got any links?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1XRCDN3JKZ0&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DLrHqCUDvCY&feature=related

AwesomeBullet
01-18-2008, 09:08 PM

:D:D:D

Didn't we already talk about this once? I think I'm having a flashback....:eek::D

Ask Greg...Or Maureen...both respected members of this site, well atleast I think they are...lol...they have both ridden in my rig...see what they think of the "low performance" on the back of an 1850lb barge...;) Chit, I was runnin 77 with all my gear, Greg, all his camera gear, and 30 gallons of fuel in the boat at the last River Ranch run...;)

AwesomeBullet
01-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Here's the video Maureen took of us running 76-77mph gps at River Ranch back in May...very very hot, very humid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msy5vFyTjBU

bassin10
01-18-2008, 10:06 PM
this might be a stupid ?, but is river ranch a river ? i didnt see any speed numbers in that video and the skin on your face wasnt getting deformed like it does when you are really going fast , like i have said i have ran one of those motors before and wasnt that impressed with it , no a guy who would run his boat on the red river and claim his boat would run 77-78mph , but when he came to the lake it allways ran about 71-72 .

AwesomeBullet
01-18-2008, 10:16 PM
River Ranch is a Scream and Fly rally on Lake Kissimmee here in Florida. Most of our boating is done either on the Kissimmee River (which has no current due to the Kissimmee River Restoration Project) or on Lake Kissimmee (no current at all).

bassin10
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
my offer still stands that i will bring my check book if you can find a 225 ho etech that is on a simillar hull as my freinds 225efi 3.1 yam on a tr 20 and out run him. Like i have said i have ran both , not saying they are bad engines , i just havent been impressed with its performance .

Scream And Fly
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Unfortunately, it's misinformed thinking that will get people like you into trouble. I've spent more time with E-Tech engines than most people here (including BRP invitations to personally test their engines), and they are making great performance improvements across the board - very quickly.

I will admit that their advertising, while funny and even brilliant, is a bit over the top. But, I've also spent a lot of time on Grant's boat, and it runs every bit as fast as he claims - if not faster. Straight from the source people.

http://i15.tinypic.com/7xmeys9.jpg

AwesomeBullet
01-18-2008, 10:31 PM
I travel enough as it is. Anytime you are in Florida, look me up and I'll go out and show you a solo run of 79 on the gps...and 76-77 with a passenger. I don't have to drag my rig all over the country to prove what it can do, enough members of not only BBC and this site, but Ultimate Bass, Cooper River Bassmasters, and Allison Owners have seen it run what I claim it will that I have nothing to prove. ;) I just hate seeing a motor bashed when it could be a combination of bad driver, bad setup, something wrong with the hull, something wrong with that particular motor, etc. I also have a demo 201 sitting on the lot that has run 78 on the gps tourney loaded, full fuel, one passenger. Sure, this is mainly a Mercury performance site, but you gotta admit, the Etec has turned up the heat on Mother Merc and the net outcome is that all of us benefit from the current generation of outboard offerings!:D

bassin10
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
im not saying they are bad engines , the ones i have ran and seen didnt acclerate or have the top end of the other brands . I never said his boat didnt run that fast , i just said find one and run it against my freinds yamaha 225 efi 3.1 on a tr 20. As we can see they are sharp looking dudes , another freind of mine that has one loves the lack of gas and oil consumption of it , witch at $3.00 /gal and $23.00 / gal for oil makes a big difference , and it seems that all the dfi engines have had there problems one sort of another .

AwesomeBullet
01-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Yep, anymore they are really all about the same. Just depends on what your local dealer sells and services, and who is offering the best warranty at the time...:D

Lanceonthelake
01-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Which one of you has the bigger BASS:D

bassin10
01-18-2008, 10:57 PM
i never said they were bad engines , they look sharp as we can see from the picture , my freind loves his , doesnt drink much gas , uses very little oil , all of the dfi engines have had there probs, the ones i have seen and used and ran , just didnt have the accleration or top end of the other brands , we blast off 30-50 boats at once on tournys and you can see it . Performance of a engine is just not limited to how fast it runs though.

bassin10
01-18-2008, 11:04 PM
when you get to fish that size , it really doesnt matter , that one was 27 inches long !http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d902b3127cceb853a440433c00000026108scnwrdo24

bassin10
01-18-2008, 11:08 PM
http://http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d820b3127cce84ed9ecaefa700000020108ScNWrdo24how do you posthttp://http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d820b3127cce84ed9ecaefa700000020108ScNWrdo24 a picture on here ? cant fig it out.http://http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d902b3127cceb853a440433c00000026108ScNWrdo24

theoldwizard
01-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Grant's just gonna hav'ta order up a E-TEC 250HO !!

gotboostedvr6
01-19-2008, 01:51 AM
I'm personally very impressed with the E-tecs and until Greg tests merc , brp, and yami 300's on the 22 Progression i dont think any of us can really say which is better ;)

I would like to vote for a 300 brp as the first test motor on the progression

mirage243
01-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Hey basssin10, I will bet you a big check that if you put a E-tec 225 HO on the same boat with the same prop as a Yamaha 225 HPDI on the same boat with the same prop, that the E-tec will outrun the Yammi.

coop182
01-19-2008, 10:57 AM
question is ? how do you get by for three tears without any maintaince or even an oil change? not to mention filters or water pump impellors

Michael J Giesler
01-19-2008, 11:35 AM
hey brett we will see about that at blarney's this year.

E-tec1
01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
you guys bash and whine, it was a stock friggn motor with minor mods, i remember people here sayin and e-tec will never run with the boys out there, lots of work man, lots of goin backwards and forward,whine all they want, there is so much more to accomplish,the ridiculous crying makes me want to just find somewhere else to go run and listen to it, it ran well, end of story

E-tec1
01-19-2008, 12:11 PM
is shameless

mirage243
01-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey Coop182, You gotta read the fine print, Just like with everyone else's advertising.

theoldwizard
01-19-2008, 12:51 PM
question is ? how do you get by for three years without any maintenance or even an oil change? not to mention filters or water pump impellers
This is based on "average" usage. No one here is "average".

According to the International Council of Marine Industry Associations (ICOMIA) an average recreational boater only use their boat 50 hours per year. 150 hours on an impeller or a fuel filter or between oil change on the gear case doesn't seem that extraordinary.

The 2 and 3 cylinder E-TEC have their oil tank under the cowl and can go 1 year (50 hours) without refilling them (when using XD100 synthetic oil).

baja200merk
01-19-2008, 01:03 PM

comin from the guy whos running the worst motor yamaha has ever made! if u talk to them i think they will give u a 4 stroke for that motor :rolleyes:

series 2? whats that mean it had to be rebuilt with 30hrs like the rest of them:rolleyes:

stokernick
01-19-2008, 01:28 PM
then there's the question about their non-performance gearcase!

Liqui-Fly
01-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Mercury wins across the board....cost, power, efficiency hands down every time. Yamaha and BRP is like the D student arguing with the F student as to who is smarter. As for SOB tests, ask Herb how many minutes the Yamaha 300 lasted on his boat. I think he was getting better numbers with an older Mercury 250 EFI saltwater series than he was with the Yamaha 300.

baja200merk
01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
3.3 yamaha was the worst motor they ever built. a friends 250 lasted 26 hrs!

bassin10
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
thats to funny , remmeber why omc went belly up ? look at the problems people keep having out of the optimax , i9 have a freind that has a 250 xs , he has blowm two power heads , lost two lower units , trim gone out , ect , so they all have there problems . i bet i can find you a hammer that can out run that old white motor of yours. As far as non performing lower unit , i can run it 1 inch above the pad , omc if you do that you spin the inside out of them . this is to funny.

Liqui-Fly
01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
thats to funny , remmeber why omc went belly up ? look at the problems people keep having out of the optimax , i9 have a freind that has a 250 xs , he has blowm two power heads , lost two lower units , trim gone out , ect , so they all have there problems . i bet i can find you a hammer that can out run that old white motor of yours. As far as non performing lower unit , i can run it 1 inch above the pad , omc if you do that you spin the inside out of them . this is to funny.

Sounds like your friend might be the problem to me.:D

E-tec1
01-19-2008, 06:29 PM
why did omc go belly up??????

bassin10
01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
when they 1st came out with the fict they werent very good , lost lots of $$$ and spent lotson that . that sunk them .

neveredge
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
That is what everyone thinks but they were derailed on purpose by the sucker that owns Progressive ins. and gives huge $$$ to the democrats. At least at the very end he was responsible.

But,

They bought a bunch of boat companies and couldn't turn a profit on them. Took to long to unload the boat companies and the ficht fiasco didn't help any. Lots of little things added up to one big mess.

I could go on and on but who really cares, BRP is making greay strides with a great product. I just wish they had a Johnson line to go with Evinrude. A charcoal motor would be cool and I always liked the Johnson name better for some reason.

I beleive Sea-way has the rights to use the Johnson name on their race motors, at least that's what I heard.

E-tec1
01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
the guys runnin omc were engine guys, they found out there was more money in robbing a corporation blind, the engine guys became money guys, theres a ceo still gettin a whole lot more a yaer in retirement than we can count, good engineers becaome more interested in getting promotions than doing theire jobs, the quality of product definatly declined, why was ficht aproblem, cuz it wasnt dont when it hit the market, needed to sell them to pay the bills, at least they now admit to all their problems, which another company dont, they want good stuff out there, do much better testing and developemnet, its showing in the product, so they went down, now theyre comin back up, it will be interesting

AwesomeBullet
01-19-2008, 11:22 PM
The gear oil used in the Etecs is designed to protect the gears and suspend any water in the oil, and be able to protect the gears with up to 50% water saturation.

The filters are basically oversized for their application, and are what allow the long replacement intervals. Also remember that is for "Scheduled Dealer Service". You still, as an owner, need to hit the grease fittings, inspect the propshaft for fishing line, etc, just like any other motor. At the 300hr service, the dealer changes the water pump, filters, spark plugs, gear lube, checks sync-n-link, hits all grease fittings, scans EMM for faults, and ships it back out.

I have my filters changed once per year regardless, especially since I have fueled up at some shady places when fishing tournaments out of town.

bassin10
01-20-2008, 01:07 AM
prob a dumb ? but you mean you can have 50 percent water in your lower unit and it not let loose ?

Scream And Fly
01-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Mercury wins across the board....cost, power, efficiency hands down every time.

I agree, this is true. Right, Mercury is still king. That's a fact.

Michael J Giesler
01-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey Brett you are right you took first place this year that great but we didn't get to tech you motor like they did to bob albee when he was winning the guy's ripped his motor all apart and found it to be stock thats what you get when your top dog.

AwesomeBullet
01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
prob a dumb ? but you mean you can have 50 percent water in your lower unit and it not let loose ?

That's the theory behind it...whether it is true in the real world or not I don't know....

E-tec1
01-20-2008, 12:36 PM
i offered to let it be done if everyone else did the same, why is it they need to see mine and dont have to give thieres up, just cuz u dont win doesnt mean ur not cheatin...............i will repeat what it was, production powerhead, no internal work whatsoever, production ignition, production fuel system, production flywheel, production midsection, gearcase had a nose cone, had a bobs ex snout, which we closed up some, heads were cut, plastic reeds, rev limiter removed, i think thats more stock than anything else run out there, there is a big question as to some drag motors bein run out there on occasion just to catch me, pretty good sourse for that, funny, last race no hoods came off, how come?????????This is a development of a motor, we are playing by the rules all there is to it, and like all other instances, im sure there will be some to hinder the level of competition, i dont whine when i lose, just try somethin better, oh yeah, prop was a production unlabbed 26 chopper with a little cup added, so , so much for the exotic rumored modified motor, i will build that one eventually though.Face it theres a new hope for the future of drag racing,i think everyone in the sport should be glad of that.

bassin10
01-20-2008, 02:09 PM
i would like to see if that gear oil would work that well , if it does it would be nice to have some of that stough.

Skirace87
01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Up until the 250HO BRP couldn't really compete with the mercs, now the 250HO is blowing the doors, or the boating equivalent, off any 250xs in Australian ski racing all with a full 3 year waranty to boot

baja200merk
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
i would love to see u out run my little ficshhin;) motor :rolleyes: :eek:

my lower has not been apart in the last 5 years i have owned it, surfacing it the entire time at speeds right around 100 and its always 1/2 full of water :o :D

that 3.3 is a time bomb, watch out for #2;)

kevin

bassin10
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
well put it on a bass boat and loaded it down with fishing stuff , and i dont think a lower unit half full of water will run very long. You must have pinned your lower unit so the carrier want come out ? i have a friend that had one of those vennoms and it blew up anfter it had already dropped lower unit . How much does your boat weight ? Unless your motor isnt stock , those never ran very good.

baja200merk
01-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Unless your motor isnt stock
:D :D :D :D ;) ur tack doesnt read high enough :eek:

as for the lower its got a 1/4-20 pin in it thats it :eek:

tick tock :D

Kevin

Action Dave
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
But,

They bought a bunch of boat companies and couldn't turn a profit on them. Took to long to unload the boat companies and the ficht fiasco didn't help any. Lots of little things added up to one big mess.

I could go on and on but who really cares, BRP is making greay strides with a great product. I just wish they had a Johnson line to go with Evinrude. A charcoal motor would be cool and I always liked the Johnson name better for some reason.

I beleive Sea-way has the rights to use the Johnson name on their race motors, at least that's what I heard.

THANK YOU. Finally someone who actually knows the reason OMC went under. They bought a bunch of boat lines and couldn't sell them off.

Action Dave
01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
My friend's boat does this...My friends boat does that...:D ;)

Forget the carrier pins. Just weld the biotch.

E-tec1
01-22-2008, 04:57 PM
long before the boat companies became the issue, the exectutives bled the place dry.

bassin10
01-22-2008, 10:48 PM
well if you running around a hundred , than that means your in the 90's . I can run in the 90's with a trolling motor , three group 27 batteries , fishin rods , tackle and almost a full tank , stough all that in yours and see what it runs then , heck when i had a tr 21 with a 225 3.1 yamaha , i once out ran one of those 225 venoms on a stratos 201 pro when i had a fouled spark plug , i was running on 5 freking cylynders .

baja200merk
01-22-2008, 10:56 PM
when i had a fouled spark plug , i was running on 5 freking cylynders .
hahahaha! a fouled plug! my 14yr old fine collaboration of junk dont even foul plugs :rolleyes:

prolly ur #2 cyl cause they are loading it up with so much oil so it lives another 20hrs :D

shove all that **** in the bow maybe i wont have to run so much negative trim after 80 :D :p

im done with this guy ;)

oh yea, tick tock

Capt.Insane-o
01-23-2008, 02:52 AM
75 and 115 optis are turds. The 115 E tec is an absolute sweetheart of an engine.

mirage243
01-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Bassin10, You need to buy a GPS. You couldn't even smell 90 with all that junk your talking about in your boat. My mirage with a modified 260 EFI in full race setup with a 24p prop only runs in the mid 90's. You need to wake up and smell the roses.

E-tec1
01-23-2008, 11:57 AM
someone that actually has a grip on how fast they really go, every year i hear about how much faster the boats are goin in 800 feet, heck i heard i must be runnin high 90's already, if we are truely goin 90 its a good set up, we have a thing out here, we call it Fox LAke 80, seems everyone goes that fast, nice lookin rig u got

mirage243
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks MTS1, these guys that talk all that bs have never raced em before and have never been on the clock. This year I ran 98.6 in a thousand feet at "smokin' in the cove" and to my knowledge that was the fastest mph in the 9 second bracket of the weekend, and there were some really fast boats there. The boat will run way over a hundred with a different prop, but it takes forever to get there. The triple digit club is not as easy as most of these guys think.

E-tec1
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
106 on gps, wasnt used to how the boat handled there, had too much to do the next day, so i backed off, dont know how fast it will go, dont care,they are a nice ride though

225ho
01-24-2008, 11:52 PM
All I know is Bassin10 is a straight up Crack Head!!!!! I'd bet the FARM that a 250HO Etec on a 21xrd bullet would eat his Yamaha Azz...LOL too frickin funny........300HPDI in the 90's on a loaded down to fish 21XRD. Holy cow. Wait.......it could be possible with just 3 batts and a troller with 0 fuel....and that would be 90.1,2,3...ish...

Second thing....even if this Yamaha 300 combo would go in the 90's.....I'd say since you've only had it since December......you've just touched the setup/driving power curve needed to get the boat to run well. aka....you may have seen mid 80's...chine walk and know theres more there but can't figure to save your life how to drive the dang thing to that number....LOL

Killing me.

mirage243
01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
AMEN, AMEN, AMEN, He shut up the last couple of days.

baja200merk
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
All I know is Bassin10 is a straight up Crack Head!!!!! I'd bet the FARM that a 250HO Etec on a 21xrd bullet would eat his Yamaha Azz...LOL too frickin funny........300HPDI in the 90's on a loaded down to fish 21XRD. Holy cow. Wait.......it could be possible with just 3 batts and a troller with 0 fuel....and that would be 90.1,2,3...ish...

Second thing....even if this Yamaha 300 combo would go in the 90's.....I'd say since you've only had it since December......you've just touched the setup/driving power curve needed to get the boat to run well. aka....you may have seen mid 80's...chine walk and know theres more there but can't figure to save your life how to drive the dang thing to that number....LOL

Killing me.

i bet a 200ho would stick with that pig, then tow it in when #2 blows... again :eek: ... fouls plugs, hahahaha:rolleyes: u can automatically fog an etec and then fire it up and it will be ready to go, plugs would be good for 200hrs. i thought about arguing his numbers but i knew bullets are quick, with real power:rolleyes:

bassin10
01-25-2008, 05:31 PM
with a 28 txp loaded with two people it runs 88 , if you can find a 250 ho on a 21 xrd i will be glad to run it . I ran in the 90's before i put my stough in the boat , but make no mistake it will run that fast , not bad for a fishing boat , yall must not fish to much around here , and you sure are sensative about those purdy little slow engines , find one on a 21 bullet please . the speeds in the 90's were with a 29 tempest . I have not tried a bigger prop as of yet. I run it a 3/4 inch above thepad . as far as a 200 etech keeping up , your to funny . tic toc , thats even funnier.

bassin10
01-25-2008, 05:53 PM
mirage 243 , do you by any chance know Mel Smith , he ran at smoking in the cove , he runs two different boats , one in the bass boat class that he won the over all title for the year or what ever its called . You may have seen that boat , it has a 3.1 liter yamaha on it , its a boat he builds called a tide craft lighting , should see the looks of the people running bullets when he drives by them in a tide craft . I didnt shut up , my computor went on the blink , got it back today.

racer
01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
How high you turning that Yamaha?

jphii
01-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Sounds like he's turnin it about 14khttp://www.byuboyz.com/forums/images/smilies/rolmao.gif

bassin10
01-25-2008, 10:46 PM
6200 rpms

Riverman
01-25-2008, 10:58 PM
What gears do the Yamaha run, 1.87?

Laker
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
6200 rpms

29 tempest?

If that PIG of a fishing boat could Manage 10% slip your Lucky to break 85mph... Lucky

woodduck
01-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Just curious, what's a 250 HO worth over there and are they readily available yet?

bassin10
01-26-2008, 01:40 AM
its a 1.75 gear , and that boat is not a pig , its 21 ft 10 inches long and weighs in around 1200 lbs give or take a few pounds , i can run 88 with two people , they have very fast hulls , Nathan Worthy has a 3.3 liter yamaha on a 20 ft bullet , he put a mercury sportsmaster with a 1.62 gear on it and ran 109 mph with it . i need a bigger prop to try , when you get to a 29 or bigger they dont work that great for fishing. I think that motor started out as a 225 then he added phase three kit they sell to it , he might have ported it also .

neveredge
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
If your 21 XRD is not a COMP then it weighs about 100 lbs. more than you stated.

Waynes boat is a COMP 20 CC. It is a light boat and has a 350HP highly modified motor on it.

Comparing his boat to yours is apples to oranges.

My guess is that set up right you might be able to break 90 mph. A 300XS on a stock 21XD runs 96mph. The 300X runs 98 on the same boat. Your boat is heavier than an XD, and you have less HP and a less efficient gearcase.

You need to show us a video of the boat at speed from the drivers seat with the GPS in clear view. Then we will believe you.

Not sayin it isn't possible but it isn't likely. Apologies will be in order when you prove us wrong.

As for the 250H.O. outrunning the Yammie 300HPDI, I think that is a given as the Rude make the same power (the 300HPDI dynos at 275 on Monty's propshaft dyno) but now has a much better gearcase and more displacement.

Just so you guys know, a 300HPDI will push a Gambler 22 footer to 87 mph light load. That is from a B&WBs test.

mirage243
01-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Sounds like he's turnin it about 14khttp://www.byuboyz.com/forums/images/smilies/rolmao.gif
And thats a 26lb. bass he's holding.

baja200merk
01-26-2008, 02:10 PM
ur fulla chit ;) thats like .05% slip on a loaded down basser wit that pig :rolleyes:

Kevin;)

bassin10
01-26-2008, 03:59 PM
a 22ft gambler weighs about 1700 lbs and went 87 with a old 300 hpdi onit . My boat weighs some where between 1200-1300 lbs what Bob at bullet told me. I have the series 2 300 , it has 20 more hp than the model it replaced , so i have 20 more hp , and weigh at least 400 lbs lighter , 90's in this boat are not a problem , and as far as a 300 x , bass and walley said they dynoed with in 2 hp of each other . As far as a 250 out running me , not going to happen , find one and we can line them up . List of boats i have ran for awhile and fished out of - 210 blazer with 300 yam , 210 blazer 250 pro xb , 202 blazer 225 ho etech , tr 21 225 efi yam , tr 21 250 efi hydro tech yam , tr 21 x 250 pro xs , tide craft lighting 225 pro max , tide craft lighting 3.1 efi yamaha that would run tripple digits and turn 7500 rpms . So i have used all brands , this is my conclusion on all of them on a bass boat not yalls light fun hulls , Yamaha were allways faster off the line and mid range , merc were as fast or faster top , evenrudes were slow off the line , midrange and slower top end , just look at bass and walleye test. Please fing me a 250 ho on 21 bullet , please , or put that white venom on one and i will pull a plug wire and out run him . i dont know this guy but he talks about his 250 ho on a tr 21 x or x2 , cant remeber , but he goes around the 78 mph mark , about the same as any other 250 , if some oncan show me how to post pic i will show you . We line up 40-50 boats in tournys and have a blast off , we have all diff kinds of motors , but by far the ones that get out in front are the yamahas and mercs , the 225 ho are allways in the back , come to caney lake in jonesboro louisiana and you can see . never said they were bad engines , and to say 300 on a 1200-1300 lbs boat want go 90 + , give me a break , and please find on with a 250 ho on it (21 bullet).

bassin10
01-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh yea , baha merc , when you can walk up and right a check for a 21 ft 21 xrd with a 300 onit like i did , then you can say im full of chit , i have been driving boats since befor you were in diapers , i can afford to buy any boat i want , it sure wouldnt be that little white boat with that slow pig on the back . Guys like you allways talk but never back it up . i have out ran alot of so called boats that went in the 90's , so if your motor is so fast and great , put it on the back of a 21 xrd thats ready to fish and run them .

bassin10
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
on another note , this is the 1st DFI engine that i have owned , i fish 300 plus days ayear , i use 20 less gallons of gas every two weeks and a whole lot less oil than i did with the efi engines , i figured at gas about 3.00 dollars per gal and oil 23 dollars per gal i figure i save about 150-160 dollars a month , thats just unreal.

mirage243
01-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Bassin10, find out how much your boat weighs with you and all your chit in it, I'll add concrete bags in mine till were the same and I'll meet you somewhere in Mississippi and we'll see.

mirage243
01-26-2008, 04:20 PM
oh, by the way I got 40 less horsepower than you.

Sam Baker
01-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I was staying out of this because this is not what the thread is about. Let me start by saying that the e-Tec technology is the best technology out there. What they choose to do with it and how they market it is up to them, but the potential is far better than OptiMax or 4-Stroke when it comes to high RPM performance.

Brett, you told me on the phone - point blank - that the BRP engineers would not allow us to tech your engine. I offered on MULTIPLE times to let you look at mine and Chris Alby offered to let you look at his. BRP engineers - including Ric Machesney (one of the grand poobahs) flat out accused me of running a ported motor with cut pistons and rods. He offered to sell me your ECU and I gave him a credit card - he pussed out and refused when I showed him the money.

You were running a 274 HP motor (by your own admission) which BRP didn't produce last summer. You got it directly from BRP. These are all the facts by your own admission (not me putting any slant on them).

Look at any racing association's rules. If you're protested, there's no rule saying that everybody else has to tear down their motors. Just the motor that's protested. If you lose the next week, put up your $ and protest them. That's fine by me. I'm tired of this argument. You have the entire BRP company behind you and you're running against a bunch of privateers. Good God, you should have killed us!

Stop the grand standing here on the web. You got away with one last year by running a powerhead that wasn't a production powerhead and an ECU that nobody else could get. Even your words on this website in the post about the 225HO and the 250 being the same (here's the post if you've forgotten http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146850&highlight=225+HO) ....how's a 225HO pull 274 HP on a dyno??? Not possible unless BRP is cheating the 10% rule, but you told me that's what your motor pulled. I heard that the 250HO was....274 HP on a dyno. Wow, is THAT a coincidence.

Which reminds me, you offered to recurve ANYBODY's ECU that asked. So, let this be an invitation to anybody out there. If you have an e-Tec ECU that you'd like Re-Curved, Brett has the software and the means to do it. That was the only way he was able to run that motor as a "production" motor. So, send them to Brett - he'll recurve them for you.

Fire away.

E-tec1
01-26-2008, 05:01 PM
told u someone could run one of mine at the island for the race only............and lets make this completely clear, the brp company is not behind all this, I did it and thats what pisses u off,u made rules to cater to ur motor and u just didnt look far enuf to make sure noone elses could be better, its funny, u come out when i say somethin about quit bashin it, how much hp does a 260 or 280 put out with no limiter, i had a very long talk with way higher up race officials than u and there is no rule about one off emms, rev limiter can be removed!!!!! not by who, or anyone else has to be able to, leave it alone.Im gonna ask one thing?why didnt u pull crisses cowl at the last race????? the one that had a corrupt ecu prior to the race????? u could have had second if u would have, there is not cheating with this motoer, it is by the rules, and there is more i can do by the rules, im done arguin with u,

E-tec1
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I have a job to do and am not letting ants pissin in the sand hinder it, we'll let the motor do the talkin from now on, have fun guys, piss on

Laker
01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Awww BOOO HOOOO
Sammy and Ron Srs Feelings are hurt because his 225 promax with bolt ons (Uh huh) is being outrun by a Stock Fishing motor…
WWAAAAAA you got beat a few times and you don’t like it… Same old CRAP.

For those reading this, The Bakers are upset because a 225ho Evinrude Etec with the rev limiter removed (That’s it…. Its Fully Emissions Legal) was starting to put pressure on the good old boys at Blarney Island. Conversations about similar motors showing up and the possibility of an EMM exchange for that days race only were to be kept in confidence. Good job Screwing that up… That will NOT happen now.

Sam is upset that a helping hand isn’t extended to the Bakers.… Anyone hear of sponsorship?…. Everyone knows Blarney is the local play ground, If your fast their your about 80% ready for the big time. It is way more involved here than Bakers or Blarney Islands ever changing rules book.

Brett Don’t get discouraged and leave Scream and fly. And don’t Quit Doing what your doing now and for the future because of a Cry Baby Bakers.

FlowMaxx
01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to think you were a cool guy back when you were running an evinrude yourself. So whats the deal now? Seems like you guys are just crying now that you aren't one of the favorite sons at evinrude anymore. Why is that? You better start kissin ass over there again because people are watching what brett is doing. HMMMM stock fishing motor.....kicking everyones ass (including yours).........hasn't blown up yet. Gee now that the 2.5 is over and done with, what are you going to switch to sam?

chainboater
01-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I read alot here but dont post.I have seen the motor in question, im not an expert but it is not ground on or modified,I also got to experience one of the pissing matches between Brett and Sam at the Island,all i can say is , get a grip, damn, this guy worked his butt off, played by the rules and is still landblasted,Keep up the good work, dont let one crybaby stop you,Anytime someone has something different this is what happens, I'll stop by your shop again one of these days, Good luck

jphii
01-27-2008, 12:40 PM
This is too funny. ONE person is trying something that the Merc guys can't compete with and this nonsense is what he gets for his efforts. No wonder people don't want to get involved with racing.

Michael J Giesler
01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
hey bret you should know that who ever wins is always accused of cheating. Just ask bob a or kurt g or anybody who wins. I personally never get accused because i get crushed but it's still fun so relax and enjoy it you should know you don't win unless you cheat or get lucky that goes for everyone ha ha

mirage243
01-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Gee now that the 2.5 is over and done with, what are you going to switch to sam?
I'll be willing to bet that it's a long time before this statement becomes true. I am a fan of all three outboard manufactures. If I was a bass only guy, I would run a Yamaha (I know bassin10 loves this) since I rope race I run a Mercury, but I love what BRP is doing to keep the 2-stroke alive. It will be a long time before you can buy a production engine that will run like a 260, 280, 300 EFI for the weight. Maybe never.

jphii
01-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Kinda funny, but the only 2.5's Merc makes any more is the Champ and the 175 I think. At least they have a 20" 300, which I'm sure BRP will be addressing in the near future.

bassin10
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
hey mirage 243 , you said you would add how much sack creat to even it out , i dont know if your boat would be big enough to hold all that , heck my moto out weighs yours 300 lbs ( just guessing ) . I couldnt get any one on here to tell me how to post a picture , but i have a picture of me in my boat today when i ran a max speed per the lms 522 of 94.5 mph , the fish werent biting so i ran a bigger prop today that belonged to a freind . Since i dont know how to post it here , i will post it on bass boat central under the bullet forum if any one wants to look .

neveredge
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I saw the photo.

It might be real. If so congrats.

But, it is a sitting still shot at the gps. This could have been done while driving to the lake.

Take a vid of the GPS while you are actually driving the boat.

Ok, it seems to me from the speeds that are being reported from the 21XRD that this boat may be faster than the lighter 21XD.

Bill Hill (ower of Bullet Boats) has stated in the past (to me on the phone) that the 20XRD is the fastest but not the quickest Bullet deck (this was before Pauls CC went 119). So maybe the raised deck on the 21XRD creates less drag and higher speeds.

If this is in fact the case then maybe you are getting 94 mph. The 21XRD with a 300xs has gone 101. A comp boat has gone even faster.

Now we want proof. Get us a running vid or bring to a get together and run the snot out of it for us non believers.

Sam Baker
01-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Everybody weighing in hasn't been to Blarney Island so it's difficult for you to understand the situation. We don't have an "inspector" so it's been left up to the drivers to police themselves. I took that upon myself because I've continually offered to let others do it, but nobody ever did. Then half way through each year, I'm asked to inspect this person or that person because they think they're cheating. Believe me, it's no fun for me because I just get ragged on by everybody.

There are no rules for e-tecs so I had to write them (nobody else offered to help write rules). When I won the first week, everybody else - including Brett bitched because they got beat by a ProMax so I was told to back off on my compression from the 26cc heads - which I did. So when Brett suddenly picked up 2-3 boat lengths in one week, he initially refused to make any changes. His partner threatened to kick my ass out on the pier because he thought I was only doing compression checks on Brett's motor and not on everybody else's (which is not the truth). See how much fun I have out there trying to make it an even playing field for everybody? LOL

I'm not inspecting anything next year because it causes too much hardship and takes all the fun out of going out there for me. If Blarney doesn't want to do it, then let's go back to run what you brung in a 3 or 4 seat boat. Drag motors, you name it. The year before everybody was accusing everybody else of cheating so what's the difference? At least this way, nobody can accuse anybody of cheating. Every year it's the same thing. Nobody wants to help with rules or inspections but everybody loves to yell at me on Thursday nights.

I love OMCs - don't get me wrong. I also love my ProMax. It's something different and I've gotten it to run decent. If I have to switch to something else, it won't be a 4 stroke that's for sure (God willing that's not all that's available). If BRP keeps up the good work then maybe that's where I go....who knows. We're ALL going to have to make that decision at some point.

I'd still like to know what 225HO puts out 274 HP. Nobody's been able to answer that one yet.

bassin10
01-28-2008, 08:25 PM
i will have to figure out how to rig a camcorder and do it buy my self , i read where the 21 xrd with a 300 xs went 100 mph , it had a 32 inch pro et on it i think , it prob had 1.62 gear in a sport lower unit . Never thought about the raised deck creating less drag , but im sure my pedistal fishing seat didnt help . I have a question , i have a 28 lighting txp that runs over 88 mph , i have a chance to get either a 29 txp worked by dah , or a 30 txp worked by dah , has any ever run one of these and do you think they would be worth getting , they are both three blades.

baja200merk
01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I'd still like to know what 225HO puts out 274 HP. Nobody's been able to answer that one yet.

its the e-tec 250ho ;)

jphii
01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I still want to see the post where anyone said the 225HO makes 274 hp.

Sam Baker
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Brett told that to me in a phone conversation. He said it was a stock motor that made 274HP on BRP's dyno. I assumed the stock 250 would make 274HP (250 + 10%). I found out from the post I pointed to that the 250 and 225HO e-Tecs are the same motors (like the carbed versions were) so they probably both make 245HP or so. Obviously, I don't have much experience with the e-Tecs so I wasn't sure how they rated them or what the differences were between the motors exactly.

Laker
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
What horsepower does a “225 promax” make with a Brucato SVS, Tight heads and Wizzard pistons? Wizards are lighter than OEM…. Hmmm Do you even know?
Real 225 promax blocks were hand finished… Hmmm now who did what to their motor???

This isn’t a 100% stock class your running in Sam so don’t play games with HP numbers when nobody knows what they are actually making to begin with.

The Etec 225ho and 250 3.3l are the same engine, different decals. Remove the rev limiter, add plastic reeds and bump the compression a little… bingo more than 250
Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that one out… Or does it?

MODVP22
01-28-2008, 09:43 PM
hey bret you should know that who ever wins is always accused of cheating. Just ask bob a or kurt g or anybody who wins.

Boy ain't that the truth. Personally, I like the Etec advertising:) Brett's boat runs great. I like how the definition of "stock" gets bent and twisted though:D

That's it, I'm movin' up there-not gonna race, help inspect, and you can yell at me about rules;)
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/MODVP22/49105main_popcorn.jpg

baja200merk
01-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh yea , baha merc , when you can walk up and right a check for a 21 ft 21 xrd with a 300 onit like i did , then you can say im full of chit , i have been driving boats since befor you were in diapers , i can afford to buy any boat i want , it sure wouldnt be that little white boat with that slow pig on the back . Guys like you allways talk but never back it up . i have out ran alot of so called boats that went in the 90's , so if your motor is so fast and great , put it on the back of a 21 xrd thats ready to fish and run them .
talk and never back it up? i have hrs of video of my boat dam near 100 on gps ;) u can afford any boat u want? good for u cause ur gonna need a new power head ever 40 hrs;) . i cant afford any boat my $4k rig with my "pig" (or as i like to call it a fine collaboration of junk parts :D ) will go by ur grenade even if u leave the batteries on the beach, empty live well, no fishin poles or 55lb fish:rolleyes: :D how do u get me to keep answering u:confused:

tick tock:D

Laker
01-28-2008, 10:10 PM
That's it, I'm movin' up there-not gonna race, help inspect, and you can yell at me about rules;)

Sweet! Come on up! :cool:
At least blarney wont have a Tech inspector/rules committee/racer/complaint department all in one person. Conflict of interest anyone?

MODVP22
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Sweet! Come on up! :cool:
At least blarney wont have a Tech inspector/rules committee/racer/complaint department all in one person. Conflict of interest anyone?

oh come on, it'll be a change...for a while;)

Sam Baker
01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
For the record. Chris, I have ProMarine cast Pistons in it - not Wizards. I REALLY suggest you at least come down to Blarney before you say anything. I think you're listening to too many other people and should see things first hand. They're getting your "facts" all messed up. You sound like you're saying my 225 ProMax with my SVS can actually make up 30 HP and 1 full liter of displacement. Why don't you come down and do the inspections. Believe me, I'd much rather have somebody else do it. Or we go without rules and the only motor that's competitive is a drag motor - because they'll come back out I'm sure. Is that what's best? Everybody was upset when I wanted to put engine rules out there, but without them, the e-Tec wouldn't have a place to race - or at least it wouldn't be competitive. Am I a jerk for trying to make things even - an e-Tec friggin' wins out there and I'm told I'm an a-hole. I adapted the rules that made it able to compete! My motor was also competitive. Which racing organizations actually has a DFI motor and a ProMax that can actually compete right with 260s and 280s? Yet, I'm an idiot.

Here's a picture from the end of July when my cooling system got clogged and I overheated the motor...would Wizards do this? Also, I'm running 34cc heads - which are comparable to the amount of compression Brett is running (he's running tighter than stock heads too).

Check out all that wild porting in there too.

Riverratt
01-30-2008, 04:43 PM
What dyno was the motor on for 274hp? Was it just powerhead or through the prop?

baja200merk
01-30-2008, 05:05 PM
its the 250ho etceckk... its gotta be prop thats been how they rate outboards since the early 80s. racer ran a 225 on his powerhead dyno and it put out 300ftlbs under 4k rpm :eek:

Laker
01-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Sam, I REALLY Suggest you don’t take everyone for Idiots. As far as Blarney goes, their have been times I have been on the dock a few feet away from you and you don’t even acknowledge, and even more times when you problably never knew I was around. I have been on the island more times than I care to remember starting in 1987.
I would love to tech but I live 92 miles from port O blarney and my work schedule for the last 17 years changes daily and involves Travel threw out the US.
Don’t worry about who I know or talk to. Worry about yourself causing problems for everyone trying to race. Your much much better when you stay on one side of the fence. Stay with your strengths.
Finally that picture doesn’t tell me much of anything other than it’s yet another blown merc.

Riverratt
01-30-2008, 05:38 PM
its the 250ho etceckk... its gotta be prop thats been how they rate outboards since the early 80s. racer ran a 225 on his powerhead dyno and it put out 300ftlbs under 4k rpm :eek:
Yes I know how they rate them since 1985 but the 225 could very well put out 274 at the powerhead. I think the 250HO is putting out 270 through the prop.

baja200merk
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes I know how they rate them since 1985 but the 225 could very well put out 274 at the power head. I think the 250HO is putting out 270 through the prop.

your right thats what im talkin about suppose ably the 250HO etec is puttin out 274hp at the prop :D

Sam Baker
01-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Here's an idea Chris. I'll put my money where my post is.....I'll pay your gas money for you to come down to my house and see for yourself that I'm not running Wizard pistons in my ProMax. I'll give you $50 to come on down as long as you promise to come back on here and admit you were wrong. Wizards are great pistons, but I don't have a set in my 225.

If you don't want to make the trip, I'll take the head off my motor and photograph some item that you want next to my .015" over ProMarine cast pistons. I'm dying to prove my innocence so to speak, so feel free to name an item - any item (newspaper with a set date, red pen, blue piece of paper - whatever you'd like) and I'll take a picture of it so you can see that I'm not running Wizard pistons. What proof do you have that I'm running Wizards? I can at least prove that I have ProMarine pistons in it.

If you think I was blowing you off, I assure you I wasn't. If you saw me there, you saw that my evening consisted of getting there, racing, checking out the first place boat and then putting up with a bunch of arguments. I was extremely busy. I don't remember you ever walking up and saying Hi. I certainly would have chatted with you had you done that. As Brett can attest to, I have a lot of responsibilities out there (because I can't get anybody to help) so it's not exactly a great opportunity for me to sit and relax. That's why I don't want to do it anymore...plus to avoid all this crap.

As for the dyno question, I'm sure it was on BRP's dyno since that's where the motor came from. I was told it makes 274 at the prop.