PDA

View Full Version : audio problems?

sharkcrazy
01-01-2008, 09:32 PM
If I turn my radio pass 28 it turns off then comes back on? Whats up? Low power or crossed speaker wires?

david martin
01-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I am no audio person but my kenwood stereo turns itself off if I over power the speakers.I bought a set of bose speakers and problem went away.I dont know how the stereo would know the difference but my stereo cranks now with no shut downs.:)
David

stvhelm
01-01-2008, 11:15 PM
most home audio systems use 8 ohm speakers and most car audio use 4 ohm speakers. If you put a 4 ohm speaker on a 8 ohm amp then it will overload the amp. also if you run 2 8 ohm speakers connected to the same terminals on a 8 ohm amp it will be a 4 ohm load and will also overload it.
same goes with dual voice coil speakers. a 4 ohm dual voice coil speaker requires 2 seperate 4 ohm feeds. if you use 1 feed and split it you have a 2 ohm load and it overloads the amp.

h2oboy
01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
The problem is you do not have enough power running to the unit. Most boats use a smaller gage wire when larger is needed for the higher end radios with larger built in amps. Run a new wire off the battery and include a new fuse to the head unit, problem solved!!!

sho305
01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Also with DC you need larger wire the more distance you cover. For example in a car the radio wire might come from the fuse box, which may not be the best because of other loads on it, but still has large cable from battery to fuse box and then only a couple/few foot to the radio of smaller wire. A boat often has the battery near the transom with many foot of wire that is not much larger. I would try an 8ga its pretty cheap and should run any HU, even 10ga might be ok. Also make sure the ground handles as much current with a boat.

FigmentTech
01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Where is the deck getting its power? Directly from the battery or from a bus bar? What is turning off your amps or your deck? In most cases the reason for shutting off is the unit (deck or amps) are going into safty mode which means the units supply power is not getting enough juice. Try turning on you system and place a volt meter on your battery and watch the volts as you crank up your system. If the volts drop to around 9 you know your system is drawing to much power and either you need to add another battery or a cap.

sharkcrazy
01-04-2008, 09:27 PM
My head unit is a Kenwood with Sirrus. 6x9' Boss marine in the rear and 6 1/2 Boss marine in the front with tweeters on the console connected to the front side. All connected to a fuse panel with 12g wire from the battery. This is on my pontoon boat. Do I need to run bigger wire to the fuse box? Or is the tweeters connected to the front giving me the problems?

FigmentTech
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes, what do you have connected to that bus bar? Depending on what you are running off the bus bar I would use either 8g or 10g and match it to the ground bus bar which should be right around the same area as the positive bus bar.

sho305
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
If you want it loud I would recommend you get an amp anyway because head units just don't cut it, but that is up to you. I agree I would beef up the wiring. Maybe possible but the tweeters should not be an issue. Also ensure the rear of the unit has good cooling. I just sold a nice 4ch 400w on ebay for $45, for that you could toss the amp in the lake if it quit after a couple years. Fish might not like it though.

sharkcrazy
01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I think I going to increase my wire size and see what happens

FigmentTech
01-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Good luck

WILDMAN
01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
My boat does the same thing if the battery is low. This happens especially if you're running an amp. Charge your battery or put a bigger one in.

sharkcrazy
01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Let me ask you this. If I had a wire crossed on the speakers ie POS and NEG would that cause my problem?

FigmentTech
01-04-2008, 10:16 PM
no it would cause the speaker to sound like crap. The speaker would "suck in" instead or "pushing out" with the music, not good but will not affect the deck. I would go with the wiring also if the deck is in a area where it gets direct sun and gets hot I would get a little computer fan to put behind the deck, they are cheap under $5 from like Staples.

sharkcrazy
01-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Well the area is well vented and the Sirrus reciever has it's own cooling fan. So heat isn't a issue. I thinking like you are the main wire to the fuse box needs to be bigger? What 8g?

FigmentTech
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
8g will do it

sho305
01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Speaker wires crossed? That often blows the amp or it protects, or does nothing. It is a direct short, there would not be any music playing there.

chad202
01-07-2008, 11:52 PM
I had the same problem and had to run the power wire straight to the battery and it solved the problem.

sho305
01-08-2008, 09:58 PM
If you only had the wires on the speaker backwards, then it would play but you will cancel out bass notes from the other speakers and it will not hurt anything. You can do that with tweeters, but not with full range or low mids/subs. It would have been out of phase.

8ga should be great for that, plenty of power even for a small amp. But the overly large wire will give it the most voltage it can get, so good idea in a low voltage situation like a non running boat. Yes amps draw even more current but that is what sound is. You could get one of the plastic blaupunkt amps, they are class D and more efficient. There is limited availability of class D for non-sub use, there are kits that can be bought.