PDA

View Full Version : Miami Rumor

Con21
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Mercury will introduce Direct Injection (DI) to Four Stroke/Verado lineup to improve fuel efficiency while maintaining superlative performance.

Mark Poole ModVP
12-29-2007, 01:26 AM
I was wondering how long it would be until they put DI on a four stroke. Should be clean burning!

theoldwizard
01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Mercury will introduce Direct Injection (DI) to Four Stroke/Verado lineup to improve fuel efficiency while maintaining superlative performance.
So we have a Mercury "E-tec" with valves, springs, camshafts, etc, etc. This will be real cost effective !

Stinky
01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
So we have a Mercury "E-tec" with valves, springs, camshafts, etc, etc. This will be real cost effective !

No, if it was real, it would be an "Orbital air assist" DI with valves etc.:rolleyes:

;)

Backfire
01-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Would you not like to be in a budget meeting at Merc and listen to the Stern Drive boys whisper "the O/B guys have this Verado thing and the bill of materials is twice what we've got in a HP600SCi"!. Wonder why we're having trouble making money....
Backfire ;)

Bloodfist
01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I hope that rumour is true. I hope they're lighter!

Capt.Insane-o
01-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Something 2 stroke, 3.4 literish on a 15 mid with openish exhaust with a nice gearcase would be nice..

sundancekid
01-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing about putting DI on the Verado line today on my way to class, would be an awesome way to make a lot more power without added weight or fuel consumption! Look at what GM did with the CTS, DI got them 40 hp with better fuel economy!

Bloodfist
01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Here is what I like to see from Mercury one day:

Merc 50hp Direct Fuel Injection same 996cc block, 15" & 20" shaft lengths. Same low weight at 206lbs or lower. 1.83:1 & 2.33:1 gear ratio options. Carbon reeds like the XS Optimax models. Neater and sleeker lower gear casing. Then make a custom X7 Alloy (Enertia) prop to stick on it - 3 blade of course.

Engine hp: 50
Engine cc: 966
Shaft lengths: 15"/20"
Gear case ratios: 1.83:1/2.33:1
Reed material: Carbon Fibre
Gear case: Sport Master Junior
Propeller: 13" dia. 17" pitch X7 Alloy SS
Number of blades: 3/4
Propeller Hub: Flo-Torq III
Weight: 206lbs. 15"/216lbs. 20"
Family: Optimax XS

I know that the Enertia prop doesn't come in that size and that there is no such thing as a Sport Master Junior casing or that the 15"/20" gear casing with the ratios would be a little radical..and of course the CF reeds. But..in the long run I would like to see that. Be good for small light fishing boats, small lake sport boats and small do it your self amateur boat builders.

Instigator
01-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Would you not like to be in a budget meeting at Merc and listen to the Stern Drive boys whisper "the O/B guys have this Verado thing and the bill of materials is twice what we've got in a HP600SCi"!. Wonder why we're having trouble making money....
Backfire ;)
No doubt :rolleyes:

The 4 strokes are bad enough now! Can you imagine having to tear one down??

Was at a dealer friend of mines the other day and he had either a Yamaha or Honda 225 torn down.
Had developed an internal water leak they could not find.

After complete dissassembly thet found it at one of the block mounting flanges that had devloped corrosion causing the leak.

It's an '02 anddddddd, being scrapped :eek: :D :p :rolleyes: :o

Miracle motors huh.

That dealer swears the Japs are pulling all the old figher planes out of the ocean and recycling them :)

I figure about another year or two and it should get interesting ;)

Was just reading a fisch bote magazine (bored) the other day and in their tech section they were recomending transmissions or torque convertors to help the 4 strokes combat being pigs out of the hole :eek:
Spit coffee on the break room table :p

Bloodfist
01-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I just bought my 40 hp EFI 4S Merc. I actually really like it. I may sound pretty stupid but it makes sense cuz I'm on an 8 mile lake and a morning boot is nice breaking through the un-ridden water. Nice and quiet, no one is pissed off, everyone's happy. Goes nicely on my 13 footer. Top speed is 42mph with the AL prop. But super quiet when you're talking to someone even at WOT. Then by noon-ish the big V8 300hp Johnson rigged to its 21 foot J craft comes out and whoops me.

mercmack
01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
YOU SHOULD GO TO WWW.***************.COM AND GET AHOLD OF RON HILL AND HAVE HIM MAKE YOU A SS STEAL PROP FOR YOUR BOAT..HE HAS SOME NICE 3 AND 4 BLADE CLEAVER PROPS, BOTH OVER THE HUB AND THRU THE HUB MODELS...THEN YOU CAN JACK THE ENG UP A LITTLE AND GET SOME SPEED...RONS PRICES ARE AROUND 350, THATS A LOT BETTER THEN 800 DOLLARS THAT MERC WANTS FOR THERE CLEAVERS IN THE 30 TO 60 HP RANGE....THEY ARE GOOD QUALITY PROPS TOO ...I HAVE TWO OF THEM , THEY LOOK FAST JUST SETTING ON THE TABLE...CAN'T BOAT THERES 5 FT OF SNOW OUT SIDE AND WILL BE FOR THE NEXT 2 1/2 MONTHS....:eek:

SatisfAction
01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Something 2 stroke, 3.4 literish on a 15 mid with openish exhaust with a nice gearcase would be nice..

LOL ... that would be sorta fastish. Not to mention, super powerfulish ;)

Bloodfist
01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I've never figured out what those cleaver props are meant for...can someone explain. And thats cool they make them for 30hp +..do you think it'll fit a 25hp 2 stroke Merc?

David
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
You could get essays on cleavers and round ears. The short and more or less true story is that cleavers lift the stern and round ears lift the bow. The bottom line for you is that you should try every prop you can. Your rig is outside the norm, so its harder to predict what will work on it.

Merc made cleavers in 18, 20, and 22" for the 25 HP two stroke. I suspect you'd have to have these re-hubbed for your 40 four stroke.

Ron Hill sells small engine props on Ebay on a regular basis. I bought a mint 22 DAH modified Merc cleaver from him once. It looked like jewelry and ran lousy on my Voo Doo.

Riverman
01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
It's here today, there is a 60 HP E-tec that weighs 240 pounds. BRP is the only outboard manufacturer interested in lightweight motors for our hobby. Merc still makes DI two-strokes but they are going four stroke totally, they already have on their small stuff and you can bet that is the corporate path. Merc will never make a lightweight blue smoker as they are moving quickly away from that market, but BRP will be there to take up the space as they are totally committed to the two cycle engine.
Here is what I like to see from Mercury one day:
Merc 50hp Direct Fuel Injection same 996cc block, 15" & 20" shaft lengths. Same low weight at 206lbs or lower.

David
01-13-2008, 09:03 PM
2.67 gears on the 60 Etec. It would be tough to prop it for a Voo Doo to even hit 50. A 23 SRX might see mid 40's.

Bloodfist
01-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Maybe they'll reval the DI 4 strokes soon.

TUNNEL T
01-24-2008, 07:14 PM
isn't that show started already ,please keep us informed !!!

Bloodfist
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
K, for the 50th anniversary you'd think the boat show would be filled with smaller dealers, lots of people and exciting boats. Nope. Nope. and Nope. There is an indoor lake and usually it was filled with boats but this time people were just giving seminars!:mad: I was really dissapointed..and confused. I was in a 2 million boat though.

glen e
01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
K, for the 50th anniversary you'd think the boat show would be filled with smaller dealers, lots of people and exciting boats. Nope. Nope. and Nope. There is an indoor lake and usually it was filled with boats but this time people were just giving seminars!:mad: I was really dissapointed..and confused. I was in a 2 million boat though.

this thread was about miami..which is not for a few weeks..what are you speaking of???

Bloodfist
01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I know what this thread is about. I was talking about the International Toronto Boat Show.