PDA

View Full Version : TPS e-tec

waynekerr135
12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Any techs out there that can explain the "Throttle Position Sensor" settings when setting up a new motor.

The software recomends an optimum setting of (say) 192.
The parameters are between (say) 167 - 224.

I know how to set it at the optimum setting;

What effect does it have if it is not set at the optimum?

What do the figures represent?

racer
12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Once the throttle cable is set at idle (roller not touching cam) it will fall into the parameters and the EMM knows the amount of thravel to full throttle and it sets the tps values to this travel. As long as when you power up the tps is with in those values with throttle all the way back you will not need to go thru the tps value set up. Hope this helps.

waynekerr135
12-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Roger that Racer, thanks.

What effect does it have if it's set at the "higher" or "lower" settings within the parameters?
This is the bit I can't get my head around. What do the numbers represent, degrees - units of length - info for the injectors?

What I'm thinking is, if it's set at the lower value, the gap between the roller & cam is less (?) therefor the throttle will open sooner & the fuel will be delivered earlier.
Better hole shot?

E-tec1
12-27-2007, 02:31 PM
if it goes too high at the top end it will read throttle position out of range and put it into slow mode, u need to make sure wide open is set more importantly then when it picks up

racer
12-28-2007, 12:16 AM
MTS is correct it will go into safe if controls are not set right, however the blocks do have stops on them that you should not modify, fuel is delivered when the tps starts to move, the reason you want to keep the roller just off is so that the emm does not think the engine is started with the throttle open as it will then restrict the engine to idle.

waynekerr135
12-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Right then;
Good point about the top-end out of range syndrome, I'd, not thought about that.
What is the max setting (at wot) before it goes out of range?
Maybe thats where I should start, then knock the setting back some if the idle is all to cock.
I've not looked at the set-up screen for this info, is there a place for this (wot)?

racer
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Just make sure when you hook up the throttle when it is at idle the computor shows 0% and at full between 96 and 100, any number with in the 96 to 100 the emm recognizes as full throttle, I would not set it at 100 on the beach as I have seen running conditions cause some movement that then puts it into safe mode.

seahorse
12-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Any techs out there that can explain the "Throttle Position Sensor" settings when setting up a new motor.

The software recomends an optimum setting of (say) 192.

What do the figures represent?

The throttle setting that you describe is only used on the updated inline motors and the late model and '08 larger engines. It is the throttle position sensor travel from dead idle to the point where the throttle plates start to open. It is set at the factory on new motors, and only needs checking at the 300hr/3yr service intervals.

There is no optimum setting, just an allowable range.

waynekerr135
12-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Strange you say that the TPS is set at the factory, I've been present at two 115 (V4), one 150 HO (V6) & two 90 (all e-tec's) PDI's & they were all no where near the optimum setting.
Could it be that BRP don't bother with this check for the Euro zone? :confused:

E-tec1
12-31-2007, 02:57 PM
if u use the diag, it gives voltage at tps, anything 4.6 and higher is wot,where is the problem here and what is it the motor is doing?

racer
12-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I have installed a lot of these engines and none have needed any tps work.

waynekerr135
01-02-2008, 08:06 AM
where is the problem here and what is it the motor is doing?
There is no problem, thanks. I was asking what the figures represent.

I'm trying to set the motor up for racing and if setting the "optimum" TPS position some place else has a different effect on acceleration or top speed this would be helpfull.
The 115 has the same spec as the 130 (not available here yet), therefore I'm thinking where do they get the extra 15hp from.

seahorse
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
There is no problem, thanks. I was asking what the figures represent.

I'm trying to set the motor up for racing and if setting the "optimum" TPS position some place else has a different effect on acceleration or top speed this would be helpfull.

The adjustment does not affect top speed or idle, only the smoothness at the transition range of about 1500-2200 rpm, depending on the engine and the "load" on it at those rpms. It also slightly affects the fuel economy across the rpm range where the motor is in the homogeneous combustion mode.