PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Graphite?

Techno
06-08-2002, 08:03 PM
I have a foot wide length of the stuff .005" thick, individual strands unidirection tape. Thinking of a laying some in my pad and wondering if it would be better to run one lengthwise and one crosswise, 90* or run them both at something like 45* to the pad. 90* to each other but angled to the pad. Is there a best angle?
Still have to find out how well it conforms to bends.
It has a paper backing holding it together, do I remove it before or after?
Will using it on the pad be worth it or should I keep saving it?
I still have it since I can't bring myself to waste it on anything.

typhoon
06-08-2002, 08:20 PM
If you are going to use it, lay it at 45 degrees to the transom, and run it a couple of inches up the transom as well. This will help spread the load out over a larger area. Having it running along the keel will not do a lot, as the angle formed there is already a good reinforcing.
I don't know about the paper backing, I've never used anything with a backing like that before. If it is very thin paper, I would assume you can lay it up into the laminate safely. Cut a little piece off and laminate it onto something if you aren't sure, and use a screwdriver after it has cured to see if it affects the bond. Definitely use epoxy with this sort of fibre.
Any time you use unidirectional cloths, you want to have the fibres angled to spread the load out over as large an area as possible. Laminates work by spreading out load, so that no one area has a really high point loading.

Regards, Andrew.

Techno
06-08-2002, 09:34 PM
The pad is flat and around 13" wide. There is a short step on each side about an inch wide. but only 1/4-1/2" high.
I wasn't going to put the paper in the lam but pull it off either after I layed it in epoxy or before.
I still have to play with a piece of it to see how it lays down and wets out.

So I should angle them both? And it would add something? Total thickness would only be .01"!

typhoon
06-08-2002, 09:42 PM
Don't be fooled by the thickness of the stuff. As it isn't woven, it's a lot thinner than woven materials of the same strength.
I would put a layer of cloth over the top, or some bidirectional if you have it. Run the cloth square to the transom.
Angle both directions at 45 degress from the transom. Sort of taper it so it's thinner at the front, or take the fibres to a corner, chine, sprayrail or other strong point, but go a bit past the corner.
Be very careful with individual strand type materials..the strands can go everywhere, that's why it would be good to have a layer of cloth over the top when laying it up. Just wet out the surface you are bonding to, lay in the uni, and lay the cloth over the top, then start wetting it all out. This way the squeege or whatever you use won't pull the fibres around in the uni.

Regards, Andrew.

ryan_L6
08-16-2002, 09:52 PM
here is what we do at work to prevent strands from pulling. lay down a piece of peel ply (nonporous) lay your carbon fiber down on it. mix your resin and apply it to the carbon fiber. place another piece of peel ply over the top. with a roller or carefully with a squeegee , impregnate the carbon fiber. working the resin into the fibers. you will not make a mess because of the top layer of peel ply. wax paper may work too. never tried it . once impregnated , peel one of the peel ply layers off. apply the carbon fiber with other piece of peel ply still attached to the boat. with the roller or sqeegee, workout all the air bubbles and extra resin. then peel the peel ply or wax paper off . bagging film works for this too.

GrnFlash
08-18-2002, 06:27 AM
I believe if I were you I would save it for use where it is really needed {cracked transom}. The only strength advantage you would gain is tying your pad and transom together a little better. The unidirectional material You have is probably used for tubular fabrication{ push poles}. Unless your your a pro, refinishing the surface can be a nightmare.