PDA

View Full Version : Help ? nikon D80

23elim
12-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I just bought my first Digital SLR. I picked a Nikon D80 ( it was my only choice I had to pick from. I redeemed rewards point from a sales contest.)
With that said I did do a little research and it seemed to be a good camera. My question is it comes with a 18-55 lens with no stabilizer. I wanted to but a 55-200mm lens w/vr. Is nikkor lens as good as lets say, tamron, sigma, ect. I dont really know that much about this so any help would be great. Do i need filter for the lens.

Scream And Fly
12-17-2007, 10:51 PM
Nikkor is a higher quality lens than Tamron or Sigma - but they also cost more. My advice: only buy Nikkor (Nikon) lenses. You do not need a filter, but some people like to keep a clear UV filter on the lens at all times for protection.

jphii
12-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Listen to Greg. If you have any doubts about his advice, well, just look at his pics.

hsbob
12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
the only filter you'll need is a polariod circlar filter. you use it for taking picture thru windows.

get a good lens like the tammron 18-250. like greg said the nikon lens are very good for the pro series but the general series is no better than the after markets. i suggest the long zoom lens so you dont have to change lens, whick intject dust into the CCD. greg and i have more than on camera with perment len [ we dont change them out].

rather than the VR get a good flash. the VR allows you to take focused still pictures in low lite, but if anything move in the shot it will be blurred. the camera mounted flashes are good for 10 feet [the 80 maybe 15]. i cant remember the number [300 dollar nikon flash] but its good for 60 +-. that way you can flash the lite off the ceiling indoors and get fully filled flash pictures. the 300 vs 200 flash difference is the ability to add the out side battery pack. with the pack i can take pictures continiously without waiting for the flash to charge.

ress453
12-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Why not get a Nikon D80 with a 55-200mm lens

hsbob
12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
the 55 lens becomes a 75 on the d80 camera. a 50mm 35film acmera was a 1x lens. for inside shots like xmas morning you really need a 18-25mm len on a digital camera. except for a few canons with full frame CCD there is a 1.5 x factor with the lens. a 100 mm lens becomes a 150mm in film equilivance. thats why they came out with the 18-200 or the new 18-250 tamron. we're not talking about pro lens here, but lens that give good picture for the ordinary foke. if your like greg and can justify the cost then the pro lens are the way. i have a few where i want the best pictures but for normal [general use i use a 18-200].