PDA

View Full Version : Etec HO vs regular

David
12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Have I got this right?
The 225 HO is the same powerhead as the 250
The 200 HO is the same powerhead as the 225
Would that make the 150 HO the same powerhead as the 175?

What is the rev limit on the 150 HO and the 200 small block?
Can you buy solid mounts for the small blocks?
Will either the small block 200 or 150 HO gearcase live if surfaced?

TAXXIVADER
12-09-2007, 02:04 AM
THE 225 HO & THE 250 ARE BOTH OF 3.2 LITER CAPACITY.

THE 200 HO IS ALSO THE SAME CAPACITY AS THE 225..BOTH 3.2 LITER.

& YES THE 150 HO IS THE SAME CAPACITY AS THE 175.. BOTH 2.5 LITER

there are other differences such as porting , injectors , & engine management programs,( mapping )& exaust valves.
& having a browse through the BRP epc., differences in part numbers appear.;)

for memeory the rev-limit on the small blocks is 6250 & the limit on the bigblocks is 6050....however rpm operating ranges differ between models.

land & sea may manufacture solid mounts as they are still the same as the earlier models.

both the L & M type gear cases that come standard with the engines dont have low enough water pick ups to pun in a surfacing application..however the newer type that comes with the 300 hp has dual water pick-ups similar to the fleetmaster (mercury case).

but cant answer to wheather or not they would live...:cool:

why dont you try it.:D

cheers Al.

AwesomeBullet
12-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Close...;)

The small blocks are 2.6L, the big blocks are 3.3L, with the new 250HO and 300 being 3.4L.

Not sure on the 2.6's, but the 3.3's have an operational range of 4500-5500 for the standard and 4500-5800 for the HO models. The 3.4 250HO has an operational range of 5000-6000. The big blocks have a soft limiter at 6150 and a hard limiter at 6400.

Fish
12-09-2007, 08:30 AM
grant,
what is the difference between the hard and soft limiter? I know what they mean, but what happens when you get to the soft and work your way towards the hard limiter? does it effect performance?

AwesomeBullet
12-09-2007, 08:42 AM
On the 225HO, at 5850 it will start to add extra fuel to try to flood the motor out since you are getting close to the soft limiter. At 6050, it starts to dump extra oil since it knows you are pounding the hell out of it. At 6150 it pulls back timing until the rpms fall back below 6000. If the rpms continue to climb and you hit the hard limiter, it puts the motor into slow mode and cuts spark to alternating cylinders and pulls you down to 1200. Been there, done that...:eek: At one of the River Ranches I melted a flo-torq hub out at WOT. Let me tell ya, even in a heavy bassboat, when you are balls to the wall and sittin pretty on the pad, and the motor all the sudden spins to 6400 and then drops to 1200 in the blink of an eye, it IS NOT a fun ride!:eek::eek:

David
12-09-2007, 09:51 AM
It says on another post here that the 225 HO is exactly the same as the 250. I wondered if that carried over the rest of the line

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146350

AwesomeBullet
12-09-2007, 10:24 AM
No, the 250 and the 225HO are not exactly the same. There are differences between the two besides just mapping of the EMM and a gearcase swap.;)

Fish
12-09-2007, 11:52 AM
On the 225HO, at 5850 it will start to add extra fuel to try to flood the motor out since you are getting close to the soft limiter. At 6050, it starts to dump extra oil since it knows you are pounding the hell out of it. At 6150 it pulls back timing until the rpms fall back below 6000. If the rpms continue to climb and you hit the hard limiter, it puts the motor into slow mode and cuts spark to alternating cylinders and pulls you down to 1200. Been there, done that...:eek: At one of the River Ranches I melted a flo-torq hub out at WOT. Let me tell ya, even in a heavy bassboat, when you are balls to the wall and sittin pretty on the pad, and the motor all the sudden spins to 6400 and then drops to 1200 in the blink of an eye, it IS NOT a fun ride!:eek::eek:

thanks for the reply man, that makes sense. Everything I am hearing and reading makes the h.o.'s seem pretty attractive (then again, I have always had a thing for ho's ;) )

Yeah, the quick deceleration does not sound fun; i would think it would be even less fun on an allison hanging it out up on the pad :eek:

ghind
12-14-2007, 06:36 AM
When you plug in the Evinrude diagnostic software into my model year 2008 225HO, it shows that it is running the 250map. This on a new motor fresh out of the crate. It also shows on the EPA label that it makes 186.4 kilowatts which converts to 249.something horsepower.

I believe the differences between the 250 and the 225HO are the gearbox and stickers. Same power. Same map.

As far as RPM ranges, there is a service newsletter available in BRP dealerport dated 15th November 2007 which details all that. 60 degree V6's are all 4850 to 5850 WOT range with recommended 5400-5600 (except 200 which is 5600-5850)

All current 90 degree 3.3 and 3.4 V6's 4500-5800 WOT range with recommended 5500-5600

Greg

racer
12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
The 225 HO and 250 are the same powerhead and same map.

D5GT
12-21-2007, 02:24 AM
What about regular 225 vs. 225 HO, what's the difference. Mapping?

E-tec1
12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
3.3 liter motors 200 is stand alone 200 ho and std 225 basicly same motor,225 ho and 250, same motor,, the 3.4 250 ho is different, the 300 is different thru some mapping to the best of my memory

AwesomeBullet
12-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Standard 200 is a 2.6, 200HO is a 3.3.;)

racer
12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Standard 225 and 225HO have different mapping.

D5GT
01-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Ok, what should I do, I need (want) those extra 25hp (225 to 225 HO) If I go to local dealer, are they able to change mapping?

Does someone else this kind "tuning"

Laker
01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Good question.

Sam Baker
01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Only one person I know has the software to do it and he races out at Blarney Island. MTS1 here on Screamandfly. He said if anybody wanted to race out there he'd map their ECU for them so I guess he can do it. Don't know what he charges.

E-tec1
01-05-2008, 06:10 PM
First of all i never said that,secondly, the epa has not allowed it yet, so when i get the ok from powers that be, i may talk about it.i saw a post where u were talkin about involvement in racing was declining, yet u went out of ur way to make this project difficult to continue, make up your mind,thats ok, theres talk about making nationwide rules for this motor so the little blarney crew can continue with makin whatever they want up on the go.there may be one less boat out there next year too. good luck promoting racing

LIQUID NIRVANA
01-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Only one person I know has the software to do it and he races out at Blarney Island. MTS1 here on Screamandfly. He said if anybody wanted to race out there he'd map their ECU for them so I guess he can do it. Don't know what he charges.

Who told you that? A name & a way to contact this person/s would be better. You have made an accusation here that requires proof.

What software?
Where did it come from?

You are 'Very specific' Sam. Time to fess up. or apologise.

jphii
01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I know who he was talking about, and I know that person WILL NOT do that to anyone's motor. There are reasons for it, and it really doesn't need to be discussed here.

E-tec1
01-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Lets put this simple, any motor manufactured after 1998 that has any emisions sticker, cannot be modified in any way unless it is used in close course sanctioned racing, period.Mine is raced only,i know others are used on public waterways, Does this clear up the questions?????Lets not open up that can of worms.

jphii
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
You are 'Very specific' Sam. Time to fess up. or apologise.

Yep. BTW, I'm still waiting for a call.

David
01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
For the moment we can still modify our motors in the Great White North:)

Instigator
01-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Yep. BTW, I'm still waiting for a call.

the "near" stock E-Tec is winning races against the modded 2.5's.

Sam ran JohnRudes and couldn't win then switched back to Merc.

Now we've got a guy running an E-Tec and trying help get feedback back to the factory so some of this knowledge may trickle down to us little guys and Sam bitches??

I have heard many, many stories about the tech issues at Blarney and still seems to be totally dependant on who you are as to whether you pass tech or not.

Have heard even more stories about how stock Sams motors are :p Give us a break Sam.

The guy is doing a ton of good for us old beat up OMC guys.

WTF good are you doing for anybody???

It's really a shame too because it's a great race with a ton of history that they try to keep the rules simple on so it's easy to keep the races going and then you get one guy raising hell.

"ONE" freagin guy has worked his ass off to get the thing figured out and now someone is raising hell and calling him a cheater becasue his fuel curve is re-mapped???

He's running a freagin fishing motor against factory race motors for christ sakes!!!!!

Leave the freagin guy alone, let him race and lets all keep our fingers crossed that BRP pays attention and helps him out!!!!

The EPA issue is a moot point really.

I mean everyone knows you cannot touch a post '98 motor unless you are racing it.
To my knowledge no one is checking motors here in the U.S. yet but we are all smart enough to know what is legal and what is not.

MTS1, don't give up just becasue of one idiot!! You've got a ton of fans watching what you are doing and are all behind you.
You need to give Al Stoker a call and ask him about the bull **** he put up with when he started winning w/a JohnRude! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Instigator
01-06-2008, 05:07 AM
For the moment we can still modify our motors in the Great White North:)

Wonder if I can register as a part time Canuck eh? :D

D5GT
01-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Ok, what should I do, I need (want) those extra 25hp (225 to 225 HO) If I go to local dealer, are they able to change mapping?
Does someone else this kind "tuning"

My question started discussion which I did not ment... maybe I should ask more specific: Can my Evinrude dealer change mapping from 225 to 225 HO? If we'll get along about costs..

For you knowledge, I live in Europe, not in US.

At here, we have many "gurus" who are mappin' car engines again, but 2 stroke.. they don't have any experience.

Laker
01-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Sam, you want new people racing and supporting the sport but then your out spreading rumors and Lies like this about a new guy… The only reason to say untrue things like this is to upset MTS1 and his project. Your smarter than that… If not then keep your mouth shut!

mirage243
01-30-2008, 02:05 PM
In my opinion Sam has done a good job of helping to promote the sport. If more bracket racing was done then most of this bs would go away. I don't know what happened at Barney Island (sounds like some Barney Fife stuff to me) but I bet it wasn't bracket racing. I love to go to a race and see all manufactures there, but bracket racing cheapens the sport and helps more people get involved. Period. Were not the average boaters here, and we should be figuring out a way to get others involved instead of bashing each other and the manufacturers. Just my two cents. By the way MTS1, I hope you get that BRP stuff available to the rest of us. I might strap on an E-TEC myself. I've got plenty in stock.

mirage243
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Wonder if I can register as a part time Canuck eh? :D
Someone told me that a Canuck was an Eskimo Jew.

Laker
01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
In my opinion Sam has done a good job of helping to promote the sport.

He has for sure... At times.
Then you have to mix the rest of this BS in..

E-tec1
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes im proud of what we've done, yes some things got out of hand, its all minor in the big picture,seems it always happens,Im not pickin on anyone, yes SAm did a good job of organizing what was very unorganized for a while, Im agreein that he got put in the middle of something that he had no way out of, everyone out there was to blame.Knowing this is how it goes sometimes, i dont want this to be a personnal pissin match, I think hed agree,Lets just let racing go on and try to make things as fair as possible, no need to be pissin in the wind at each other.It seems alot of things here lead to that.Theres alot more to be done.I hope this clears this all up, im not here to argue about whats better than the other, i just like what im doin,soooooo..........lets carry on

Sam Baker
01-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Here's my results from when I was running my "loser" Evinrude. The one I had to get rid of in order to go back to a Mercury:

I went through an entire National Drag Boat Association schedule undefeated in 2005. Hardly an unsuccessful year in my opinion.

I also beat all but one 260 at the FireWater speed runs that year running 95.2 MPH in 1000'. Nick Winski was the only one that beat me with his 260 on a boat that weighed 300 pounds less...he ran 95.7. Again, is that a "loser?" I wish I still had that motor. It was loads of fun on the Allison. I wanted to sell the boat and the guy wanted the motor with it...so it had to go. I picked this motor up (225 Mariner SuperMag with SVS) at what I thought was a good price and it was something different and my new SuperSport was rigged for Mercury so it was convenient as well.

As for the ECU, others are doing it with other brands, why not do it for the e-Tec? This is where I'm afraid BRP might get left in the dust again. If they're not doing high RPM testing, the other manufacturers will be ahead of them. They have the best fuel injection technology - why hinder that by not doing the high rpm testing?

BrentShaw
01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Good thing you got rid of that "loser" motor Sam(he regreted that ever since it left his drive way) it hardley won you anything.

Seems to me if all of the motors listed above can run competitive with each other and have different people win the rules worked pretty good. I dont think anyone dominated out there this year (from what I've heard, I wasnt there). So this would leave me to believe things where pretty fair, as long as the racing was close I would love to have a place to go every week and race. I would never want to try and tech no matter what you do someone will always be upset. Let someone else do it this year if it was so unfair or dont tech at all and see what happens. People like me in the middle of a bunch of corn feilds in Iowa would kill to have what you guys have. Enjoy it!

Like I said I wasnt there, just an outsiders view looking in
Brent