PDA

View Full Version : GPS speedo

habiv
12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I am looking to buy a new speedo for my hydrostream and i would like to buy a gps unit (classic looking speedo with needle). Is Livorsi marine my only option, or are there others out there? If so, can you give me some direction. Thanks.

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Don't buy a Nordskog!, JUNK!

hsbob
12-05-2007, 10:39 AM
those are the only two other than the merc unit with Smart craft. both use the garmin 35 as the gps source. i also thought they were built by the same supplier.

habiv
12-05-2007, 11:15 AM
What is "the merc unit with Smart craft." Is this a gps unit, or the original type speedo that came on the motor?

Fish
12-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I think gaffrig and autometer both have gps speedos.

BTW, you may already know this, but the gps antenna will shoot through fiberglass (as long as it is not too thick) in case you dont want to cut a hole in your boat to mount it.

STV_Keith
12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Check http://www.rexmar.com Rex Marine was having a sale on their Autometer Marine stuff. That's what I have.

Do a search for dash pictures, lots of pics around.

joed
12-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I have a livorsi on one boat and a gaffrig performance unit on another boat
the gaffrig unit is still built by gaffrig performance not livorsi and it is the one I prefer. For some reason the livorsi one on my Quaetershot hangs up sometimes and the gaffrig performance one does not. They both dead nuts with my garmin handheld and they both are the needle type

LakeRacer99
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Don't buy a Nordskog!, JUNK!

Why is that?

habiv
12-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Thank's for all of the info! I will look at all of my options.

habiv
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Joed - Does your gaffrig unit have a top speed recall?

joed
12-06-2007, 09:49 AM
yes the gaffrig one has a two position switch that you select recall and if you
want toe erase you hold it there like 5 secs. The livorsi one has a 3 position switch which is recall/speed /erase. If I had to choose switches the three position one I like better because the two position one I forget some times and hold the recall position and it erases. One is wired through ignition system
and the one I installed is wired to the battery switch which is better because when you get to the beach and have a beer and want to hit recall with the key turned off it will recall while the one wired thru the ignition system has lost the speed figure when you turn off the engine. I hope any of this helped, I will say once you get one installed it is sooo nice not having to deal with hand helds but I still keep the hand helds on the boat for a comparison after a speed pass just to see a digital record of the speed and to lend to some jet skier so I can see his disapointed look when he see`s the real figures. Hey the stars don`t lie.

hsbob
12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
the merc is a gps, digital pilot tub or paddle wheel driven. it looks like the other two gps speedo but the digital display gives motor info instead of speed recall. the down side is its smartcraft and the speedo/tack system alone is 850 plus a cable 145 and then the compatable gps. you can switch the speeds at where the paddle wheel and the otehr pick up switch over. paddle whaeel with cables 250+-. its not cheap.

MODXR6
12-07-2007, 11:13 PM
but I like it better cause the multi modes come in handy.
Speedo w/ recall
tach w/ recall
voltmeter
direction of travel

And it ain't junk. Only know of ONE person to ever say that, YOU buzzin dozen

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-08-2007, 08:19 AM
And it ain't junk. Only know of ONE person to ever say that, YOU buzzin dozen

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1214552#post1214552

LakeRacer99
12-08-2007, 01:13 PM
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1214552#post1214552

Buzzin...I am sure you know Nordskog, Livosi and Autometer do not make the GPS pucks. It sounds like that is what you are unhappy about. Why don't you not make a statement like "Don't buy Garmin GPS, They are junk. A far from true statement, but at least it would support your claim better.

As I said in the thread you liked to, ANY serial GPS receiver with a NEMA 0183 output string will drive ANY GPS speedo...

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-08-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't know why it quit working, I never invested more $ in a unit that barely worked when new, then completly failed when bought out this spring, also a buddys thats the same age is acting up, so when opinions were asked, I gave my exp. w/ 3 nordskog speedos, 1 junk, 1 shakey, and 1 were holdin' our breath, not a good record. Guess i'll keep usin' the ole' reliable, Garmin III.

LakeRacer99
12-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Buzzin...take that Garmin III and drive your broken Nordskog with it if ur puck bit the dust. Or send it to me if your gonna pitch it. lol.
Electronics are funny, freak things cause them to not work sometimes. Anything RF is BlackMagic anyway, that is one thing I learned in the last 15years.

BUZZIN' DOZEN
12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
I guess I'll have to get the skinny in the spring on how to hook up the Garmin to the n,skog and trouble shoot. I'm sorry for my rant, but geez, 500 clams for somthing that works like I bought it at a garage sale?

LakeRacer99
12-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Here...ur garmin III is the same conector as my Garmin 12. here is the pinout...Pin 2 goes to the white wire on the Nordskog and pin 3 goes to your ground. You can buy that round conector from Garmin or off the web.

pwerwagn
12-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Nice!!! I didnt know I could use my GPS III to run a speedo like that!!!
thanks for the info!

--Jeff

BUZZIN' DOZEN
05-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Sent the entire unit back to Nordskog, they called today, the head unit (gauge) is junk, receiver was fine, mine was an early one and they said they were problematic, the newer one's are much better, also the 2 yr.warranty is way expired. And year and a half ago Nordskog was bought out by another Co. So I'm gettin' that pain in the checkbook feeling, but lo' and behold, they made me a very fair deal on a brand new complete kit, so bottom line is, I did get a junk(early)one that I should have sent back, when it didn't work right(my fault:o) It's good to see an upstanding Co. taking care of things, even if out of warranty, or not even manufactured by them, Kudos To Nordskog!:thumbsup:

Carter Powell
06-07-2008, 02:34 PM
The Garmin reciever antennaes will work on the Nordskog GPS gauge head.

Carter Powell